Great Show In Chicago!

Big Fan 2112

The people in front of us were pissed at all of the CA stuff. One of them asked me how many songs were on the album and if they were almost done playing them. Somewhere around Headlong Flight they stopped politely clapping after the songs. They seemed to enjoy The Garden although that's probably just because Ged said it would be the last new song.

My thoughts: Who would pay $150 for a ticket to the Clockwork Angels tour, without first spending $15 for the Clockwork Angels CD? wacko.gif

Still a great show! 1022.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushfanforever! @ Sep 17 2012, 01:33 AM)

Clapper Dude, if you read this, please just holler/yell for future shows..your clapping is rather annoying IMO!!!!!!!!!

Says license plate-wielding view-blocker guy

laugh.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 17 2012, 09:24 AM)
I've mentioned this a few times in other threads, but in looking back at Saturday night, I just can't get out of my head how absolutely stunningly monstrously amazing Headlong Flight was in concert.

The band and strings played it with such tremendous ferocity, and when the band rejoined after Neil's brief solo...just wow. The crowd completely ate it up and rewarded the performance with what I think was the biggest response of the night.

Am I alone here??

Naw man. That was probably the highlight of the night.

And that's the great thing about live music...I thought the highlight in DC was The Garden or 2112.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Sep 17 2012, 05:51 PM)
Great show, and I loved all of the CA stuff. The guy next to me hadn't heard it, and was blown away.

In a way, I envy him. To think that your first experience with this great album was live.

I had never heard Vital Signs or Marathon until TM last year. Now whenever I listen to those songs, I'm transported back to that moment in time.

Cool cool stuff.

Edited by Dscrapre

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 17 2012, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Sep 17 2012, 05:51 PM)
Great show, and I loved all of the CA stuff. The guy next to me hadn't heard it, and was blown away.

In a way, I envy him. To think that your first experience with this great album was live.

I had never heard Vital Signs or Marathon until TM last year. Now whenever I listen to those songs, I'm transported back to that moment in time.

Cool cool stuff.

Well said right here. ^ I think it's great that there are people like yourself discovering older stuff 25 - 30 years after it was written!

trink39.gif

To add some "data points" to the VIP... I ended up in the second row section 2 seats 1 and 2. Alex was right in front of us. I booked my tickets right at sale time and received confirmation at one minute past. I was surprised we didn't get front row, but after talking with several around us they told the same story of their booking. A guy in the front row told me the same story with the caveat, "I type fast". A couple in the 7th row booked about 10 minutes past the hour.

Thinking about it, I would have preferred our second row over front if it meant being on the sides..section 1 row 1 seats 1 and 2 for example.

Also, I think for smaller markets booking at sale time may have meant getting front row center. I could have done VIP in Cleveland, but I am going to that show with a group of eight people. Chicago it was just me and one of my sons.

Great show, great experience. I will do VIP again, but likely in a smaller market.

2.gif

Just wanted to chime in on the Chicago show. Absolutely fantastic. Headlong Flight and The Garden were really the highlights for me. And I've been slow to absorb The Garden - not high on my list of faves at first. But like most Rush, it grows on you. And the live version was truly a masterpiece.

Sound and vocals were fantastic. Blackhawks giving the chicken and gorilla a beatdown! What's not to love? (OK the $10 beers - not loving that!)

New to the Forum as a member. I have been watching and listening for many months.

I was at the Chicago show. It was a very good show. Well attended. The crowd was as into it as any Chicago crowd ever is. Chicago is the most "yakky" city I go to shows in. They will talk about nothing all the way through ANY show not just Rush. The United Center has iffy sound at best and this show was no better or worse than normal (slightly boomy, lots of reverberation)

Loved the CA material. Carnies was a highlight for me. Headlong Flight was also good. I still like Caravan live, and the string section added a new vibe to the song for me.

I have never seen some of the songs they played off PW and GUP live before so I enjoyed them (even though I am not big on that era's material personally). I love 2112 and welcome that in the set any time. I have to say it was a gutsy setlist. Lazy? No way, it was almost all different from the last few tours and full of new CA material.

Geddy sang well and the band was in great form. My friend saw the Indy show a few nights before and commented that they played better on this night than in Indy. Great light show. Fun videos. Excellent string section. Overall I think this tour is great and the Chicago show was worth the time and money I spent. The 3 people who went with me all felt the same as I did.

Yeah, Ive seen them about 40 times and this was just spectacular.

As someone mentioned, Headlong Flight tore the roof off.

And the inclusion of Spirit is very smart and it's placement couldn't be better.

Great show - my only wish is that they record soon - Ged is in excellent voice right now.

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 17 2012, 06:42 PM)

Clapper Dude, if you read this, please just holler/yell for future shows..your clapping is rather annoying IMO!!!!!!!!!

Says license plate-wielding view-blocker guy

laugh.gif

Hey Goose, you mean Gal!!! Yes, there are female 2.gif fans!!

Well, I wasn't blocking everyone' view for the entire show unlike Mr. Clapper! Was hard to hear the lyrics while he was clapping most of the night! angry.gif

So do you have a duck/goose collection? Quack! Quack!

trink39.gif

I was at the Chicago show, and I was floored!! It was AWESOME.

We were next to a girl that wasn't the fan that her husband was, but our section was rocking out the whole time. No one sat at all.

Not once did we have to move for anyone going to get a drink or whatever.

I am sort of short, which bites the big one because no matter where I am i have some very large sasquatch men in front of me. what gives??

So I had to keep peeking around them. I thought Geddy was in perfect pitch the whole night. Fantastic. I can't even begin to say how good a show it was I loved it all ..... AWESOME again.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Sep 19 2012, 01:45 PM)

Btw, we went to Buddy Guy's Legends one night and I was chatting to a drummer at the bar there, and mentioned we'd been to see Rush.  He called over an older guy who told me he'd played in a band that had opened for Rush in the 70s.  The main guy in the band was Bob someone, who went on to win ten Grammies, apparently.  I think the surname started with an 'M' - any ideas?

Glad to hear you had an awesome time in Chicago. It was a phenominal night.

Regarding your question...I wonder if it was Montrose?? They were together for some shows around 76. The lead singer at that time was Bob James. Not sure about the Grammies or who opened for who back then, however.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Sep 19 2012, 01:54 PM)
I might bust a nut when I hear Analog Kid!!!

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

you'll defo bust a nut. perhaps even nuts.

i just listened to the original version of Analog Kid. The guitar solo on the recording is good but there is something about the live version. The live verison is one louder and grittier, too.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Sep 19 2012, 01:45 PM)
Just got back to the UK from our trip across The Pond for the Chicago gig. I am not at all biased when it comes to Rush ( laugh.gif ) but, wow, what a show.

Glad you made it home safely. Have to agree, there were several goosebump moments during the show and the end of Headlong Flight was one of them for me as well!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 19 2012, 08:46 PM)
Regarding your question...I wonder if it was Montrose?? They were together for some shows around 76. The lead singer at that time was Bob James. Not sure about the Grammies or who opened for who back then, however.

I don't think it was, but it's annoying me that I can't remember for sure. Thanks anyway! biggrin.gif

Btw, when I wrote "they decided to go for their piss/gay/drink break, lol" in my original post I did not type 'gay', I typed 'f-a-g', as in what we call 'cigarettes' here in the UK. Got to love word filters . . . eyesre4.gif

I hope I didn't piss anyone off by blocking their view with my set of WI license plates.  If so, sorry!!!  I was having too much fun at the end of the show!!  For reference, I was in Section 2, row 14...behind the loudest clapper on the planet!!  angry.gif    banghead.gif

1022.gif  1022.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

trink39.gif  bekloppt.gif

cheer.gif  common001.gif  icon_alienjig.gif

Was the clapper guy directly behind you?

I know I was in the row behind you. Third seat from the aisle.

I hope I wasn't the one bothering you. If so, you could have turned around and told me. I know I was yelling, applauding, singing, jumping, raising my hands in the air, and dancing.

I thought this WAS proper etiquette at a ROCK show in the first 15 rows!

The one thing that DID annoy the hell out of me was the ushers coming by every two minutes telling people to put away their phones. Major distraction!

I am starting to find the phones themselves to be a little annoying. I mean if you want some good video of the show, wait for the blu-ray DVD to come out.

It is much better quality and doesn't block the view of the person clapping behind you laugh.gif