A Moment of Clarity!

losingit2k

I was thinking last night, after all the bitching and moaning I've done about the set lists that these guys have really gone out of their way to ensure us fans have a great experience once again. Call it a moment of clarity on my part or whatever but these guys are really great to us. Not only are they providing us with 3 hours of music but they took it a step further and prepares another half hour worth of music so us fans that attend more than one show have something different to experience. Other bands would just provide us with an hour and a half of the same set night after night and not give a shit about it, Not Rush! With RUSH you always get more and with these guys hitting 60 it truly is a gift from the heart!

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

Bravo guys! You truly are the best band in rock history!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 10 2012, 06:36 AM)
I was thinking last night, after all the bitching and moaning I've done about the set lists that these guys have really gone out of their way to ensure us fans have a great experience once again. Call it a moment of clarity on my part or whatever but these guys are really great to us. Not only are they providing us with 3 hours of music but they took it a step further and prepares another half hour worth of music so us fans that attend more than one show have something different to experience. Other bands would just provide us with an hour and a half of the same set night after night and not give a shit about it, Not Rush! With RUSH you always get more and with these guys hitting 60 it truly is a gift from the heart!

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

you're spot on

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 10 2012, 06:47 AM)
They can't do everything... But they sure put an effort in to.

Its pretty hard to choose 30 songs from a catalog of over 170 songs but they seem to make it happen everytime.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

They always deliever. The set-lists the last 7 tours have been amazing.

with all due respect, its not like they are doing it for charity. instead they are milking their late career popularity for it for all its worth. not that is wrong, they have worked hard and deserve their success. i get the fact you are a satisfied customer but the OP's praise is a little over the top to me.

i can think of lots of bands that take better care of their fans in terms of ticket sales and rotating setlists.

in terms of the a & b set lists, thats great but really its a little too little and a little too late IMO.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 10 2012, 06:36 AM)

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

Well said. Good to read a rational point-of-view on the setlist for a change.

Can't say the same about every post so far in this thread, but there's always gotta be at least one, right?

Agree fully that this band has always delivered. I have seen other "supergroups" more than once and I can easily pick out a show that has disappointed, either in the energy or the setlist, myself and others. Can't say that about RUSH-I mean sure, I'll take Caress of Steel complete over this current setlist any day, but the group has always been spot on terrific, no matter their choices.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 10 2012, 02:07 PM)
losingit2k, as a keyboard player I'm sure you really appreciate this setlist, eh?

bolt.gif It will not disappoint! tongue.gif

I actually like the keyboards in their earlier works much more. I love those great little moog leads (Circumstances, The trees, Tom Sawyer, Subdivsions, Countdown, Oh Countdown (Best keybaord lead by Geddy ever)! Mainly I prefer the keyboards from AFTK through GUP much more than the programed keyboards in Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Even though I just Love those two albums. So to answer your question. Yes this is going to be a very enjoyable concert for me! Specially since I have Alex playing keyboards now on The Garden as well. They just keep impressing me more and more with every tour.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

You are right. I feel a like shithead for complaining,bitching about the set lists. I was so spoiled from the last tour I guess.I was drinking,a few beers,and was watching the song list get posted,one by one as it happened.I saw all of those synth 80's songs,...then no "loosing it",or "Jacobs ladder" put me in such a mood! I should not have posted,anything.should have waited,should have gone upstairs and put on power windows,I use to love that album. Anyways a formal apology,from a spoiled brat fan who still has some growing up to do.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 10 2012, 02:19 PM)
with all due respect, its not like they are doing it for charity. instead they are milking their late career popularity for it for all its worth. not that is wrong, they have worked hard and deserve their success. i get the fact you are a satisfied customer but the OP's praise is a little over the top to me.

i can think of lots of bands that take better care of their fans in terms of ticket sales and rotating setlists.

in terms of the a & b set lists, thats great but really its a little too little and a little too late IMO.

Milking it? Really?

I just don't see that at all. I think they have walked the fine line between playing what they want and playing what the fans want since the mid to late 1990s. If they want to indulge themselves this time after the career retrospective of the Vapor Trails through Snakes And Arrows tours then let them for God's sake.

I would much rather see Rush enjoy themselves playing what they want as opposed to playing what you want.

And another thing... How is playing a bunch of less-than-radio-hit-songs from the 1980s milking anything?

QUOTE (MJH @ Sep 10 2012, 10:34 PM)
You are right. I feel a like shithead for complaining,bitching about the set lists. I was so spoiled from the last tour I guess.I was drinking,a few beers,and was watching the song list get posted,one by one as it happened.I saw all of those synth 80's songs,...then no "loosing it",or "Jacobs ladder" put me in such a mood! I should not have posted,anything.should have waited,should have gone upstairs and put on power windows,I use to love that album. Anyways a formal apology,from a spoiled brat fan who still has some growing up to do.

You and I both. I was also devistated by the rude awakening to the fact that there would be no Losing it or Jacobs Ladder in this set! hence forth, I have reserved myself to the fact that Losing It will never be played Live and I should not ever expect them to.

rose.gif Losing It rose.gif

Now Jacobs Ladder with enough bitching and requesting from the fan base might see the light of day somewhere down the road.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 10 2012, 04:36 AM)

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

That's why they are the best, eh.

if everybody would just spend some time in youtube watching the clips i dont think we wouldnt have this problem. Honestly, on cd ill take Bastille Day over Grand Designs any day but watch a clip of live Grand designs and then just imagine how Bastille Day would sound without Geddys crazy insanely high vocals. Yeah, not too good i would think. Part of what gave those albums their charm was the crazy vocal melodies Geddy wrote you take that out and it's just not as good.

What they are playing sounds absolutely fantastic but some fans still have this unrealistic expectation that Geddy can sing All the World's a Stage night in and night out.

Edited by Astroboy2112

QUOTE (satyr @ Sep 10 2012, 10:53 PM)
They Dont Give A Shit,Its What Ever Makes Them Money,While Being As Easy As Possible On Themselves.

I doubt that you realize the different aspects that go into the show.

Of course Geddy picks tunes that he can actually sing nowadays, that is just common sense. And I would hardly call bringing in an orchestra, playing songs they haven't played in years, and playing a lot of new material is "making it as easy for them as possible"

QUOTE (satyr @ Sep 10 2012, 11:53 PM)
Its What Ever Makes Them Money,While Being As Easy As Possible On Themselves.

I kind of agree with this part here, but then again doesn't everyone try to do this when it comes to their job?

On the other hand, they have been beyond generous with the amount of touring they have done in the past ten years....or the amount of material they have produced and toured throughout their careers for that matter.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 10 2012, 10:42 PM)

Milking it? Really?

I just don't see that at all. I think they have walked the fine line between playing what they want and playing what the fans want since the mid to late 1990s. If they want to indulge themselves this time after the career retrospective of the Vapor Trails through Snakes And Arrows tours then let them for God's sake.

I would much rather see Rush enjoy themselves playing what they want as opposed to playing what you want.

And another thing... How is playing a bunch of less-than-radio-hit-songs from the 1980s milking anything?

well to start with take a look at the ticket prices....... cool10.gif

look at the fact they are actively going after bootleggers this tour.

its big business, dare i say big money?

of course you failed to realize i am not condemning them, rather acknowledging the way it is.....

milking it for all its worth = equal sound business practices leading to maximum profit.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 11 2012, 07:59 AM)

Milking it? Really?

of course you failed to realize i am not condemning them, rather acknowledging the way it is.....

milking it for all its worth = equal sound business practices leading to maximum profit.

I'll agree that the tickets seem too high, but they are too high for any show you go to these days. It costs a lot to put on a show like Rush does and at least you get a great SHOW. The videos and the length of the concert beat out most bands I've seen in the past decade.

If they want to drop all the glitter and just come out on a blank stage and play that would be fine, but I doubt the price would go down very much and the women and kids wouldn't like the show as much.

Oh, the terrible sacrifices we have to make in the Western world. tongue.gif

They could come on stage and Geddy only have a washtub bass, Alex a ukele missing a string, and Neil random pots and pans and it would be a good show.

I noticed on TMT that the guys seemed to be having more FUN now - and really, isn't that what music's about - FUN? It is for me. Why put in 150% night after night on stuff you've played for 40 years.

I know each of us like to go into the vault and pull out an old album you haven't listened to in years. At that point it's new again - it's interesting - it's FUN. That's what they're doing.

I was introduced to Rush in their synth ERA - so for me this is exciting! Would I like to see them perform their classics from the 70's - absolutely! Will I complain at this great collection of songs - hell no!

These guys have earned the right to play what they want to play and do what they want to do. They are living out what they preach in 2112.

Rush on boys! RUSH ON!

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 11 2012, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 11 2012, 07:59 AM)

Milking it? Really?

I'll agree that the tickets seem too high, but they are too high for any show you go to these days. It costs a lot to put on a show like Rush does and at least you get a great SHOW. The videos and the length of the concert beat out most bands I've seen in the past decade.

If they want to drop all the glitter and just come out on a blank stage and play that would be fine, but I doubt the price would go down very much and the women and kids wouldn't like the show as much.

Oh, the terrible sacrifices we have to make in the Western world. tongue.gif

trink39.gif