Rush burns us again

tullfan

the tour has just begun - lots of time for Geddy to lose his voice. Let us know how it sounds towards the end.

Reminds me of the Pittsburgh Pirates of the last two baseball seasons....start off strong but poop out at the end. I suspect that this will happen to Geddy as well.

Say what you want, but my opinion is valid....just ask me.

2.gif

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 1 2012, 02:19 PM)
the tour has just begun - lots of time for Geddy to lose his voice. Let us know how it sounds towards the end.

Reminds me of the Pittsburgh Pirates of the last two baseball seasons....start off strong but poop out at the end. I suspect that this will happen to Geddy as well.

Say what you want, but my opinion is valid....just ask me.

2.gif

I do agree towards the end of the tour that will happen, HOWEVER they are spacing the tour dates out and seems to help the Ged man.

Yes....but don't they space things out every tour? TM they did this and folks know the results of that.

Did you watch dem Bills stink up national television? Somebody forgot to tell them that thae game lasts 60 minutes.

2.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 9 2012, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

Honestly, sincerely PLEASE go f**k yourself.

It bears repeating, there is no bigger bitch on the planet then a middle aged straight male Rush fan.

How embarrassing

Best Post EVER

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 30 2012, 10:09 AM)
I just read through this entire thread. It took awhile, and some of the name calling was pretty pathetic, but I got through it. Some thoughts:

1. People are entitled to their opinions, even unpopular ones. It's a shame that some people can't allow others to have theirs and instead have to be referred to as an asshole or not a real Rush fan or the worst kind of fan or a whiny little bitch just for having an unpopular one. If a person is disappointed by something Rush does and they want to vent about it, they're entitled. It's a Rush discussion board.

2. Everyone's opinions are valuable to them AND VALID, even if you disagree with said opinions. There is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions. Someone doesn't like the set list, they don't go. Someone doesn't care about the set list or they love it, they go. It doesn't make the person who doesn't want to go wrong or a bad person - they're entitled to not go for whatever reason they choose.

3. If you care enough to be disappointed by something the band has done or is doing, you're a real Rush fan - you might not be the happy go lucky rainbows and butterflies Rush can do no wrong kind of fan, but you're still a fan.

4. While I do understand that they're doing all they can to protect Geddy's voice (playing every other night, rotating harder songs every other show, etc.), I really do think it's a pretty weak set list. I love the new album, but they could have cut a couple of those songs out.

AND, there are certain songs that IMHO just HAVE to be played that aren't - Limelight, Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, Freewill - take a few of the synth era songs out (and I LOVE the synth era), replace them with those, and we would have had a set list. And you have to add in at least ONE epic - I don't even care which one - Xanadu, La Villa, NatSci, TCE, hell, even Jacob's Ladder will do.

Then again, if he can't hit the notes on any of those songs, he just can't do it, but his voice isn't sounding great on the easier to sing songs either so...

5. As Geddy's voice continues to deteriorate live, it makes me think more and more they should have hung it up a few years ago, but then we wouldn't have the excellent Clockwork Angels, so it's a tough call.

My solution? Make albums, stop touring. It's a shame, as their playing is top notch and better than ever, but the glaring elephant in the room problem of Geddy's voice live is simply not up to their standards of professionalism. See my first point if you disagree since I dare to have an unpopular opinion and am stating it, but call me an asshole if you must.

6. I'm not planning on seeing them this tour just due to life circumstances that won't allow it, but honestly, now that I've seen the set list, it takes a lot of the edge off of not being able to see them. I saw them plenty in the 80's, so I'm not missing out on all the 80's deep album cuts.

Goobs, I love you man! (Pun intended) but I think you aren't firing on all pistons on this one. I think you are judging Geddy's voice by what you've heard on Youtube or worse by what others have said and that's pretty misguided. I agree Geddy's voice isn't what it was in the 80's or in the 90's for that reason but its surely not "An elephant in the room" by far. That's pretty harsh.

As for peoples opinions, yes everyone's opinions are valid but some may be wrong. (Hilter had opinions, as did other crack pots in the 20th century.) There are many contrasting voices here and thats perfectly fine. However, there are many that come here just for the pure joy of pissing people off by tearing into RUSH for what ever they are doing or lack of. I agree with you that they could have included a couple more staples and an Epic. I believe I said that on several threads. (and created setlist to show it!) <---- A Given! But this setlist is far from being weak. These deeper cut songs from the 80's are all gems and really good live. Are there many other I would prefer.. yeah! but It is what it is and its not bad. Just the songs from CA alone is worth the price of addmission. Clockwork Angels is a great album and should be well represented> I don't agree in removing songs from CA from the set list, I actually wished they'd play the whole damn thing top to bottom. Now that said are there missed oppertunities during this tour... Yes! they could have included Losing It, Xanadu or even Jacobs Ladder on this tour. But they didn't, Oh well, we shouldn't be so disappointed in what we can't control. They are RUSH and they play what they want. If people don't like it, don't go. Thats the best way to show your displeasure. Not by coming here and pissing everyone off just 'cuase they didn't play you forvorite tune. One of the biggest complaints here was that they always play the same damn Stapels. Well,

"Sometimes the Angels punish us by answering our prayers!"

wink.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 1 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 30 2012, 10:09 AM)
I just read through this entire thread.  It took awhile, and some of the name calling was pretty pathetic, but I got through it.  Some thoughts:

1. People are entitled to their opinions, even unpopular ones.  It's a shame that some people can't allow others to have theirs and instead have to be referred to as an asshole or not a real Rush fan or the worst kind of fan or a whiny little bitch just for having an unpopular one.  If a person is disappointed by something Rush does and they want to vent about it, they're entitled.  It's a Rush discussion board.

2. Everyone's opinions are valuable to them AND VALID, even if you disagree with said opinions.  There is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions.  Someone doesn't like the set list, they don't go.  Someone doesn't care about the set list or they love it, they go.  It doesn't make the person who doesn't want to go wrong or a bad person - they're entitled to not go for whatever reason they choose.

3. If you care enough to be disappointed by something the band has done or is doing, you're a real Rush fan - you might not be the happy go lucky rainbows and butterflies Rush can do no wrong kind of fan, but you're still a fan. 

4. While I do understand that they're doing all they can to protect Geddy's voice (playing every other night, rotating harder songs every other show, etc.), I really do think it's a pretty weak set list.  I love the new album, but they could have cut a couple of those songs out. 

AND, there are certain songs that IMHO just HAVE to be played that aren't - Limelight, Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, Freewill - take a few of the synth era songs out (and I LOVE the synth era), replace them with those, and we would have had a set list.  And you have to add in at least ONE epic - I don't even care which one - Xanadu, La Villa, NatSci, TCE, hell, even Jacob's Ladder will do. 

Then again, if he can't hit the notes on any of those songs, he just can't do it, but his voice isn't sounding great on the easier to sing songs either so...

5. As Geddy's voice continues to deteriorate live, it makes me think more and more they should have hung it up a few years ago, but then we wouldn't have the excellent Clockwork Angels, so it's a tough call. 

My solution?  Make albums, stop touring.  It's a shame, as their playing is top notch and better than ever, but the glaring elephant in the room problem of Geddy's voice live is simply not up to their standards of professionalism.  See my first point if you disagree since I dare to have an unpopular opinion and am stating it, but call me an asshole if you must.

6. I'm not planning on seeing them this tour just due to life circumstances that won't allow it, but honestly, now that I've seen the set list, it takes a lot of the edge off of not being able to see them.  I saw them plenty in the 80's, so I'm not missing out on all the 80's deep album cuts.

Goobs, I love you man! (Pun intended) but I think you aren't firing on all pistons on this one. I think you are judging Geddy's voice by what you've heard on Youtube or worse by what others have said and that's pretty misguided. I agree Geddy's voice isn't what it was in the 80's or in the 90's for that reason but its surely not "An elephant in the room" by far. That's pretty harsh.

As for peoples opinions, yes everyone's opinions are valid but some may be wrong. (Hilter had opinions, as did other crack pots in the 20th century.) There are many contrasting voices here and thats perfectly fine. However, there are many that come here just for the pure joy of pissing people off by tearing into RUSH for what ever they are doing or lack of. I agree with you that they could have included a couple more staples and an Epic. I believe I said that on several threads. (and created setlist to show it!) <---- A Given! But this setlist is far from being weak. These deeper cut songs from the 80's are all gems and really good live. Are there many other I would prefer.. yeah! but It is what it is and its not bad. Just the songs from CA alone is worth the price of addmission. Clockwork Angels is a great album and should be well represented> I don't agree in removing songs from CA from the set list, I actually wished they'd play the whole damn thing top to bottom. Now that said are there missed oppertunities during this tour... Yes! they could have included Losing It, Xanadu or even Jacobs Ladder on this tour. But they didn't, Oh well, we shouldn't be so disappointed in what we can't control. They are RUSH and they play what they want. If people don't like it, don't go. Thats the best way to show your displeasure. Not by coming here and pissing everyone off just 'cuase they didn't play you forvorite tune. One of the biggest complaints here was that they always play the same damn Stapels. Well,

"Sometimes the Angels punish us by answering our prayers!"

wink.gif

You should be president of the Rush Fan Club!

Well said my man! Geddy's voice was f***ing awesome to me 1022.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 1 2012, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 30 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 30 2012, 09:11 AM)
Re: Geddy's voice live.

I was thinking about this last night, as I was listening to a part of the St Louis bootleg (the show I went to). When at the concert, his voice sounded very good, and I WAS listening to the quality of his singing, trying to hear what I would normally hear on a boot. However, only a few little flats and sharps stood out. He still sounded powerful and just plain bitchin! 1022.gif

Then listening to the bootleg I heard nothing but a warbly old man yelping at the crowd like a 12 year old hound with a busted leg. My thoughts are that the problem isn't with his voice, but the quality of these audience-based ROIOs. Their microphones are working their asses off to pick out all the deliciousness radiating through the room but they only seem to accentuate the extreme highs (yelping) in his voice. Makes for a nauseating listen. I have no problem with his yelping noises, his voice just does that. But when you make it so that you're hearing those noises over everything else, it sounds like crap. In person it really doesn't take from the music. It's just the Gedmeister singing with a different style than he did 30 years ago.

It really is only on bootleg recordings when I have a problem listening to Geddy sing. Otherwise, it's gold.

Then why are official live recordings and DVD's also featuring a lousy sounding Geddy? It can't just be the cheap recordings. Honestly, I've seen plenty of clips from other bands on youtube and I never notice badly sung vocals... because the vocals aren't being sung badly. confused13.gif

Can't go with ya on this one, Goob - while Ged definitely struggled last tour - I think he is in really fine voice on this one. All the boots and you-tube vids he sounds great to my ears. Sure a little rougher around the edges buyt he isn't struggling like he did on the TMT (particularly the DVD)

I also think The Snakes tour and DVD was one of his finest vocal performances.

I'm willing to forgive the guy for a few squeeks here and there. He still brings it - and this tour is a perfect example of their professionalism. He obviously realized that a show full of old standards was taxing on his voice, so he made an adjustment and its working.

He sounds fantastic on the new stuff especially, which is a surprise because I thought he would really have a hard time replicating those songs.

To me, he sounds even better live.

I went through this a few years back with Ronnie James Dio. I'm a huge fan of the Dio era Sabbath. When they reunited and released the album Live at Radio City Music Hall in 2007, I was psyched for an album of just that era's material. You know what? Ronnie's voice had deteriorated (and that was before the cancer really got to him). He was 67 when he died in 2010. Time does it to everyone.

I saw the Time Machine tour, and had an absolute blast. That's partly because I was there seeing them do their thing. But saying Geddy sounds as good now as he did on the Signals tour is not realistic. He's almost 30 years older. In a way, you're somewhat denigrating how he sounded 30 years ago.

I don't mind the change as much, because I'm a fan. But play the Time Machine CD, and then play ESL. Geddy's human.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 1 2012, 03:05 PM)
But play the Time Machine CD, and then play ESL. Geddy's human.

The TMT DVD was a bad night for him, no doubt - but I don't think Geddy Lee is striving to emulate his younger self.

Those of us who enjoy the way Geddy sounds today aren't deluding ourselves into thinking he sounds like a 30 year old version of Geddy Lee.

He sounds like a 59 year old rock singer with a still impressive voice that bears the scars of a 40 year touring career. For some of us, this is for the better. I like what age has done for Geddys voice.

On tours of past he was often times pitchy, and very one dimensional.

Try to imagine him singing The Garden or Halo effect with that rawness and emotion back on the Signals tour.

I also think his vocals breathe new life to much of the 80's material being played. There is an edge to them that suits the current sound.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 1 2012, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 1 2012, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 30 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 30 2012, 09:11 AM)
Re: Geddy's voice live.

I was thinking about this last night, as I was listening to a part of the St Louis bootleg (the show I went to). When at the concert, his voice sounded very good, and I WAS listening to the quality of his singing, trying to hear what I would normally hear on a boot. However, only a few little flats and sharps stood out. He still sounded powerful and just plain bitchin! 1022.gif

Then listening to the bootleg I heard nothing but a warbly old man yelping at the crowd like a 12 year old hound with a busted leg. My thoughts are that the problem isn't with his voice, but the quality of these audience-based ROIOs. Their microphones are working their asses off to pick out all the deliciousness radiating through the room but they only seem to accentuate the extreme highs (yelping) in his voice. Makes for a nauseating listen. I have no problem with his yelping noises, his voice just does that. But when you make it so that you're hearing those noises over everything else, it sounds like crap. In person it really doesn't take from the music. It's just the Gedmeister singing with a different style than he did 30 years ago.

It really is only on bootleg recordings when I have a problem listening to Geddy sing. Otherwise, it's gold.

Then why are official live recordings and DVD's also featuring a lousy sounding Geddy? It can't just be the cheap recordings. Honestly, I've seen plenty of clips from other bands on youtube and I never notice badly sung vocals... because the vocals aren't being sung badly. confused13.gif

Can't go with ya on this one, Goob - while Ged definitely struggled last tour - I think he is in really fine voice on this one. All the boots and you-tube vids he sounds great to my ears. Sure a little rougher around the edges buyt he isn't struggling like he did on the TMT (particularly the DVD)

I also think The Snakes tour and DVD was one of his finest vocal performances.

I'm willing to forgive the guy for a few squeeks here and there. He still brings it - and this tour is a perfect example of their professionalism. He obviously realized that a show full of old standards was taxing on his voice, so he made an adjustment and its working.

He sounds fantastic on the new stuff especially, which is a surprise because I thought he would really have a hard time replicating those songs.

To me, he sounds even better live.

I went through this a few years back with Ronnie James Dio. I'm a huge fan of the Dio era Sabbath. When they reunited and released the album Live at Radio City Music Hall in 2007, I was psyched for an album of just that era's material. You know what? Ronnie's voice had deteriorated (and that was before the cancer really got to him). He was 67 when he died in 2010. Time does it to everyone.

I saw the Time Machine tour, and had an absolute blast. That's partly because I was there seeing them do their thing. But saying Geddy sounds as good now as he did on the Signals tour is not realistic. He's almost 30 years older. In a way, you're somewhat denigrating how he sounded 30 years ago.

I don't mind the change as much, because I'm a fan. But play the Time Machine CD, and then play ESL. Geddy's human.

yes.gif everybody ages. Everybody's voice changes. Yours does, mine does, Geddy's does.

I think Geddy sounds warmer and more mature than he ever has. His voice on The Garden or Clockwork Angels or Headlong Flight easily stands up to (or exceeds) his earlier work, imo.

You had the experience with RJD (RIP Ronnie). I had a similar experience with Tull. Fortunately Ian is still with us, but Tull today bares little resemblance to Tull of bygone days.

I don't think it's better or worse, I think its just Geddy sounding older.

<edit cleaned up grammar>

Edited by CygnusGal

to be honest, I think some folks around here embellish things a little. Do the math and you will see that they ain't doin' no 3 - 31/2 hr show with Geddy singing. On average the shows start at 7:45 and are done by 10:45. This has been a posted fact. So there is your 3 hours....drop the 3.5 hrs thing. Next, Factor in about another 1/2 hr for videos and the break between sets. We are down to 2.5 hours. Is it just me or are these Evenings With Rush getting shoerter and shorter by the tour?

OOOOOOOPSIE....cannot forget the obligatory Drum Solos and the Instrumerntals....how long is Geddy singing a night now?

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 1 2012, 06:54 PM)
to be honest, I think some folks around here embellish things a little. Do the math and you will see that they ain't doin' no 3 - 31/2 hr show with Geddy singing. On average the shows start at 7:45 and are done by 10:45. This has been a posted fact. So there is your 3 hours....drop the 3.5 hrs thing. Next, Factor in about another 1/2 hr for videos and the break between sets. We are down to 2.5 hours. Is it just me or are these Evenings With Rush getting shoerter and shorter by the tour?

OOOOOOOPSIE....cannot forget the obligatory Drum Solos and the Instrumerntals....how long is Geddy singing a night now?

2.gif

Longer and better than you, me, or anybody else on here will be when they're pushing 60.

Everybody needs to lighten up and enjoy them while we can.

QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Oct 1 2012, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 1 2012, 06:54 PM)
to be honest, I think some folks around here embellish things a little.  Do the math and you will see that they ain't doin' no 3 - 31/2 hr show with Geddy singing.  On average the shows start at 7:45 and are done by 10:45.  This has been a posted fact.  So there is your 3 hours....drop the 3.5 hrs thing.  Next, Factor in about another 1/2 hr for videos and the break between sets.  We are down to 2.5 hours.  Is it just me or are these Evenings With Rush getting shoerter and shorter by the tour?

2.gif

Longer and better than you, me, or anybody else on here will be when they're pushing 60.

Everybody needs to lighten up and enjoy them while we can.

We're supposed feel cheated when 60 year old guys *only* give us a 2.5 hour show? That's still An Evening With if you ask me.... and just as long if not more music than 30 years ago. WHat a deal wink.gif

I don't feel cheated at all. There is more hype than reality when you read"oh man they like play for 3 or 3.5 hours." Just pointing that out. I know...I know...reality sucks.

Post whatever you want, but some of us see it for what it is.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 1 2012, 08:04 PM)
I don't feel cheated at all. There is more hype than reality when you read"oh man they like play for 3 or 3.5 hours." Just p[ointing that out. I know...I know...reality sucks.

Post whatever you want, but some of us see it for what it is.

2.gif

Its actually a bit less than 2 hours 30 mins.....

It's just under 2:30... down from 2:45 on Vapor Trails. I didn't go to the Test for Echo tour but I'm assuming it was about the same lenght. Are you guys really complaining that the set is 15 minutes shorter than it was over 15 years ago?

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Oct 1 2012, 10:28 PM)
It's just under 2:30... down from 2:45 on Vapor Trails.  I didn't go to the Test for Echo tour but I'm assuming it was about the same lenght.  Are you guys really complaining that the set is 15 minutes shorter than it was over 15 years ago?

Ok...I will go slower this time.....

Not complaining...just pointing out the hype that surrounds this "Evening With RUSH." When it really comes down to it, how much of a greater value is it compared to bands who play for 2 hrs. and sell tickets for much less money? (I am not talking cheesey bands, but rather established bands who, in some cases, have been around longer than Rush)

I have paid less, and have received more. I, for one, am not buying into the hype.

That's all.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 1 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Oct 1 2012, 10:28 PM)
It's just under 2:30... down from 2:45 on Vapor Trails.  I didn't go to the Test for Echo tour but I'm assuming it was about the same lenght.  Are you guys really complaining that the set is 15 minutes shorter than it was over 15 years ago?

Ok...I will go slower this time.....

Not complaining...just pointing out the hype that surrounds this "Evening With RUSH." When it really comes down to it, how much of a greater value is it compared to bands who play for 2 hrs. and sell tickets for much less money? (I am not talking cheesey bands, but rather established bands who, in some cases, have been around longer than Rush?)

I have paid less, and have received more. I, for one, am not buying into the hype.

That's all.

2.gif

No headline band of this age plays for substantially less. There's no opening act, they play their new album and old stuff. More than ones moneys worth, especially because thei rnew music (IMO) is not crap. This is value galore, if you ask me.

The first time I saw Rush, at the height of their popularity, on the Signals tour, the show started at 7:30. Well, that's the time listed on the ticket. First, we were "treated" to 45 minutes of The John Butcher Axis. That was followed by around 30 minutes of watching their gear being broken down and the unexplained nothing after that. Rush came on a little before 9:00 and played til just before 11:00, a few minutes more than 2hrs. This was when they were all still a little less than 30yrs old and like I said above, at their popularity Zenith. Now 29 years later, they are playing longer and better as musicians (IMO). Even though I paid $100 more this time around, I walked out just as impressed and happy as then, and I didn't have to listen to some band that will fade into obscurity 3 months later!

That beats the hell out of the 1hr45 minute show I saw the Eagles play on their reunion tour that cost me 40 bucks more. Or the Van Halen show I paid the same amount as I did for these Rush shows I recently saw where the playing was awful, and they were nothing more than shadows of their past selves.

I think in this day and age(and especially at their age), Rush shows blow away most everything out there.

But I sure would like to pay $12 again to see them play like I did in '83!