Severe lack of Rush staples this tour?

Alchemical

No 2112, Limelight, Freewill, Closer to the Heart, La Villa...

Has there ever been a tour that has left out so many 2.gif staples before??

In a way I'm appreciative that the boys are ballsy enough to play what they want and not cater to all the casual RUSH fans who go to the shows solely to hear all their radio hits. On the other hand, I'm going to miss hearing the familiar songs that almost ALWAYS end up on the setlists. Maybe they'll alternate the "hit" songs night by night (Minus TS, of course)?

Edited by Alchemical

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 7 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:02 PM)
change the title!!!!!!!!  some may see it on main page!!!

I just did. Sorry. oops.gif

no problem

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 7 2012, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 7 2012, 10:05 PM)
Thank goodness. How many times do we need to see the same songs?  confused13.gif

What about the first timers?

Just have to wait like the rest of us did. tongue.gif

This set list may not be the best for 1st timers, especially if they get fed up with CA material and head to the exits before Working Man, ect...but for "us" its a decent/good setlist

1022.gif

I have to say, this will be my first Rush concert and I am really disappointed that 2112 will not make it into the set. There was so much build up in my head especially because of the hap-tip to 2112 on the album cover... I don't get it...I mean there are definitely some songs in there that I really like that I never expected that others don't like (Red Sector Eh)... I know I'll still enjoy it though...

QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:11 PM)
I have to say, this will be my first Rush concert and I am really disappointed that 2112 will not make it into the set. There was so much build up in my head especially because of the hap-tip to 2112 on the album cover... I don't get it...I mean there are definitely some songs in there that I really like that I never expected that others don't like (Red Sector Eh)... I know I'll still enjoy it though...

Y'know what, the setlist actually makes sense. Maybe the boys are planning on retiring with a R40 tour...and they'll bust out ALL their classics on that tour before going into retirement. Maybe they wanted to bust out some deeper cuts as an experiment of sorts...I do wonder how the crowd reacted to all the lesser played songs + CA.

All the hardcore fans love this setlist, but a 75% of the audience is not that hardcore.

The reality is this tour will have the least energetic crowds ever. There are going to be lot of casual fans disappointed. Like I've always said, while I couldn't care less about hearing songs like Limelight, 2112, and Freewill for the millionth time, I love the energy from the crowd when they are played. That energy will not be there

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 7 2012, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:11 PM)

Y'know what, the setlist actually makes sense. Maybe the boys are planning on retiring with a R40 tour...and they'll bust out ALL their classics on that tour before going into retirement. Maybe they wanted to bust out some deeper cuts as an experiment of sorts...I do wonder how the crowd reacted to all the lesser played songs + CA.

Agreed.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Sep 7 2012, 10:32 PM)
It's a very strange setlist... I'm not sure what to make of it. The first hour is like A Show of Hands, Part II.

I like the 80s albums but does Power Windows really merit four slots?

My wife will enjoy it.

Yes, yes it does (if you swap out GD for Mystic Rhythms or Middletown, that is).

I'm replying without looking at the OP or any following posts. I think that the less "staples" there are in the set list, the more room for some buried gems! I know that Tom Sawyer made an appearance, as well as Spirit of Radio (thank you, inconsiderate Facebook friends!), But I am ok with missing some of the regular song in the set to make room for some unplayed/underplayed tracks.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 7 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:02 PM)
change the title!!!!!!!!  some may see it on main page!!!

I just did. Sorry. oops.gif

The title is still a spoiler, IMO.

Doesn't bother me, but if I was wanting to go in stone cold, and saw this, I'd know more than I wanted to about what I was going to be hearing, even without knowing specific songs.

Just saying.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 7 2012, 10:27 PM)
All the hardcore fans love this setlist, but a 75% of the audience is not that hardcore.

The reality is this tour will have the least energetic crowds ever. There are going to be lot of casual fans disappointed. Like I've always said, while I couldn't care less about hearing songs like Limelight, 2112, and Freewill for the millionth time, I love the energy from the crowd when they are played. That energy will not be there

yes.gif Bingo you nailed it, that right there is the issue.

Counterparts is probably the closest tour in terms of unusual sets.

Hemispheres Prelude instead of anything from 2112, The Analog Kid instead of Subdivisions, no Freewill, nothing from GUP, Mystic Rhythms instead of The Big Money, etc. When you factor in that was the last of the "shorter" 2 hour shows and the fact that of the 22 songs 9 were basically new (either Counterparts or Roll the Bones) it seemed like a fairly radical change to me. But there were still far more standards than this tour.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 7 2012, 10:27 PM)

The reality is this tour will have the least energetic crowds ever. There are going to be  lot of casual fans disappointed. Like I've always said, while I couldn't care less about hearing songs like Limelight, 2112, and Freewill for the millionth time, I love the energy from the crowd when they are played. That energy will not be there

yes.gif Bingo you nailed it, that right there is the issue.

Can attest to truth here.

Buddy of mine loves the classics - that's why he goes to the shows. He played games on his phone all thru second set.

He was a good friend. I'll miss him and hope I'm paroled before R40.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:54 AM)
Counterparts is probably the closest tour in terms of unusual sets.

Hemispheres Prelude instead of anything from 2112, The Analog Kid instead of Subdivisions, no Freewill, nothing from GUP, Mystic Rhythms instead of The Big Money, etc. When you factor in that was the last of the "shorter" 2 hour shows and the fact that of the 22 songs 9 were basically new (either Counterparts or Roll the Bones) it seemed like a fairly radical change to me. But there were still far more standards than this tour.

Red Sector A is from GUP.

Personally, I really enjoy the idea of the boys pulling out rare 80's gems to play live now as I've been a fan since back then. They can surely revisit the "frequents" on the next R40 tour.

2.gif 2.gif