What CA songs are classics?

rushgoober

Classics (imo) from Clockwork angel.gifs

Headlong Flight

The Garden

The Anarchist

Caravan

Seven Cities of Gold (for the life of me I cannot understand the 'meh' attitude towards this tune by so many)

A LOT of GREAT music on this one! Can't wait to hear it live in St. Louis in a few weeks!!

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 5 2012, 09:47 AM)
Seven Cities of Gold [/b][/size][/color] [/font] (for the life of me I cannot understand the 'meh' attitude towards this tune by so many)

I know man it boggles my mind. When I listen to it I think to myself "how does any Rush fan not dig this?"

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 5 2012, 07:59 AM)
Seven Cities of Gold [/b][/size][/color] [/font] (for the life of me I cannot understand the 'meh' attitude towards this tune by so many)

I know man it boggles my mind. When I listen to it I think to myself "how does any Rush fan not dig this?"

It really is a great song, it's just far from the best on the album.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 10:07 AM)

Which comments on the greatness of Clockwork Angels. If SCOG was on a different album (post TB era), how would it be percieved? It would be in the top two or the top song.

I see 3 songs become future concert classics

Caravan

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Clockwork Angels the song goes to epics not played in every tour. The Garden is bit like Resist. We may hear it time to time but probably not in every tour. The others... well I think we hear them randomly now and then.

Caravan rocks live and is one of the best thing the boys has done in decades. The Wreckers is emotional and has a hooky chorus and it's overall very catchy tune. Headlong Flight rocks hard and there's never too many hard rockers especially when the band doesn't perform their oldest stuff anymore.

Edited by Flying Finn

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Sep 4 2012, 08:56 PM)
What exactly IS a "classic"?

Songs that tons of people love that get all kinds of crazy radio play over years, and get a lot of attention from those outside of hardcore Rush fans that love everything they do. Closer to the Heart, TSOR, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Subdivisions. Most people dont even know this band put any albums out after Signals. That's just a fact. Classics are songs my girlfriend knows who in general despises Rush, but she sure knows those songs I listed because they're played on XM radio, and she hears them elsewhere.

Classic as a term is always tied to hits. That word gets thrown around here like it almost doesnt even mean anything, used for at all kinds of stuff that most people have never heard before. Maybe its a classic to them personally which of course is fine, but as a general term and how its normally used, Rush hasnt put a legit classic song out in a very long time. Ill bet anything if they were asked about this themselves they would list the same songs I did, Tom Sawyer being first of course, and probably nothing after the mid-80s at the latest.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 5 2012, 10:28 AM)

Songs that tons of people love that get all kinds of crazy radio play over years, and get a lot of attention from those outside of hardcore Rush fans that love everything they do. Closer to the Heart, TSOR, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Subdivisions. Most people dont even know this band put any albums out after Signals. That's just a fact. Classics are songs my girlfriend knows who in general despises Rush, but she sure knows those songs I listed because they're played on XM radio, and she hears them elsewhere.

Classic as a term is always tied to hits. That word gets thrown around here like it almost doesnt even mean anything, used for at all kinds of stuff that most people have never heard before. Maybe its a classic to them personally which of course is fine, but as a general term and how its normally used, Rush hasnt put a legit classic song out in a very long time. Ill bet anything if they were asked about this themselves they would list the same songs I did, Tom Sawyer being first of course, and probably nothing after the mid-80s at the latest.

What a ridiculous post. Do we really need to know that your gf despises Rush. You obvoiusly are the one who doesn't know what Classic means, now run along and be miserable, Tiny Tim. 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 4 2012, 12:27 PM)
And FWIW, the two songs from this album that I think are destined to be undisputed classics in the future, meaning songs that would have to appear on any best of collection from their latter era (or any best of collection that encompasses all Rush eras), are Clockwork Angels and The Garden.

Headlong Flight will probably make it as well, and maybe even Caravan, but those two for sure - CA and The Garden are legendary and epic. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I can agree with this somewhat in the way I define a "classic"... A classic would be as Gary defined it "would appear on a best of collection" years down the road......

But I would also say a classic would be a track "destined to be a live staple" to where years after the initial release would constantly be in the setlists.(If Rush hypothetically were to still be touring 10 years from now)

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Sep 5 2012, 06:58 AM)
I'm not sure what we're being asked here. Are "classics" our personal favorites? Songs that will become concert staples? Tracks likely to end up on some "greatest hits" comp? Tunes a la Spirit and Sawyer that the whole crowd at a given show will recognize? I guess I'll go ahead and make lists for all of those categories.

Classics for me: The Anarchist, Carnies, Caravan, Wish Them Well.

Set-list mainstays: Headlong Flight.

"Greatest Hits": Headlong Flight, Caravan, The Wreckers.

Crowd pleasers: None.

That's my question, how are "classics" defined. I have a feeling it is much like a "masterpiece" is defined around here.

Seems to me a classic would have to be a crowd pleaser. Something with universal, widespread appeal. Not just the obscure favorites of a bunch of us Rush zealots from an album nobody bought or played on the radio.

In that respect, only HF is even close. Alas even it has its flaws. Not the music but the arrangement. In this case cutting an orgasmic solo section short so they could hammer the chorus 2 or 3 more times.

There are several good songs by our standards.(6-9 depending on taste) None of which meet the true definition of classic or masterpiece.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 5 2012, 08:12 AM)

Which comments on the greatness of Clockwork Angels. If SCOG was on a different album (post TB era), how would it be percieved? It would be in the top two or the top song.

Seven Cities of Gold:

On Presto it would have been one of the top 3 songs.

On RTB it would have been the 2nd best song.

On T4E it would by far be the best song.

It's better than every song on VT put together.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 5 2012, 08:12 AM)

Seven Cities of Gold:

On Presto it would have been one of the top 3 songs.

On RTB it would have been the 2nd best song.

On T4E it would by far be the best song.

It's better than every song on VT put together.

And this brings me back to the idea that this effort was so amazing by the boys...what a great album---hope it makes your top 100 in your lifetime laugh.gif

Listening to SCOG (to name one of the "classics", imo) during vacation as the sun rose over the pond, I heard the same bass tone that I initially fell in love with on Moving Pictures.

heart.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 5 2012, 03:27 PM)
Listening to SCOG (to name one of the "classics", imo) during vacation as the sun rose over the pond, I heard the same bass tone that I initially fell in love with on Moving Pictures.

heart.gif wub.gif

Cygnus Gal--you're the best. I get to see the boys two days after you do...it's almost like we'll be watching them together!!!

Oh, back to SCOG...yep the bass tone is reminiscent of something we know. Ulitimately what I enjoy about musiciansip is Alex. His outro part of the solo kicks my ass every time...how can you describe it? blush4.gif

Clockwork Angels (the song), IMO, sits alongside the Camera Eye and Natural Science as a sublime mini-epic (the 7ish to 10ish minute range.)

The Anarchist is chock full of quintessential, iconic Rush sonic elements. Three months in, this is still by far my favorite from the album; a perfect melding of old school and new school Rush.

The Garden obviously hits a lot of people in the right places.

Headlong Flight (also possibly Caravan and The Garden) will likely end up on "greatest hits" collections in the future.

I think these songs will be seen as the "classics" from the album in the years to come.

Edited by Bangster of Goats

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 5 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 5 2012, 03:27 PM)

heart.gif wub.gif

Cygnus Gal--you're the best. I get to see the boys two days after you do...it's almost like we'll be watching them together!!!

Oh, back to SCOG...yep the bass tone is reminiscent of something we know. Ulitimately what I enjoy about musiciansip is Alex. His outro part of the solo kicks my ass every time...how can you describe it? blush4.gif

trink39.gif

Thanks, TM. smile.gif Agreed.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 4 2012, 10:57 PM)
To be honest, I just can't see anything post-HYF as a classic.

The Pass

Dreamline

Animate

Nobody's Hero

Far Cry

Armor & Sword

Clockwork Angels

The Garden

Those EASILY, and then also arguably:

Cut to the Chase

Stick It Out

Workin' Them Angels

The Main Monkey Business

Hope

Malignant Narcissism

Caravan

Headlong Flight

BU2B

The Anarchist

The Wreckers

Songs that a lot of people think are classics that I don't think are anywhere close:

Available Light

Bravado

Roll the Bones

Driven

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

And someone above mentioned The Larger Bowl - sorry, but I don't know in what universe anyone other than a very small group of people would consider that a classic by any standards. no.gif

I'd say there are plenty of classics post HYF, but anything (except Far Cry) from S&A is NOT.

Most songs from Presto are (IMO) and a good share of CP and TFE. There are some good ones on RTB too. About 6 or 7 really good on VT.

And 8-9 on CA.

smile.gif

Classic

Clockwork Angels

Seven Cities Of Gold

Caravan

BU2B

Great, but not quite...

The Anarchist

Wish Them Well

Halo Effect (IMHO their best ballad ever.. yet it's #7 on this CD. Wow.)

Very good

Carnies

The Wreckers (What moron decided to fade out on Alex's solo?? )

Headlong Flight (Knock off a couple choruses and they'd have had a 6-minute killer)

Massive Apathy

The Garden (I tried, really. It's not painful, just blaaaah schla03.gif )

Why???

BU2B2 (musically pointless, lyrically depressing.. could have had the lyrics as exposition in the liner notes between HLF and WTW)

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

QUOTE (canadianice @ Sep 5 2012, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 5 2012, 10:28 AM)

What a ridiculous post. Do we really need to know that your gf despises Rush. You obvoiusly are the one who doesn't know what Classic means, now run along and be miserable, Tiny Tim. 2.gif

He has a girlfriend? unsure.gif tongue.gif They probably got together because they both despise Rush (for him, everything after Power Windows it seems).

I'd say the bonafide classics without doubt would be:

The Garden

Clockwork Angels

BU2B

Headlong Flight is probably another one too.

But the whole album's awesome I love it.