CA Holds the Best 9 Song run on any Album.

losingit2k

CA Hold the best 9 song (Back to Back) Run on any RUSH album. Even if you split "2112" Suite into individual songs CA wins out by leaps and bounds IMO. Sadly most albums from the 70's and 80's had only, at their most, a total of 8 songs. The only album that comes near is S & A and those songs are a Far Cry from being as good as the songs in CA! Counterparts was also a contender until you got to "Speed of Love". Anyway thats Opinion.

Ok Let me have it!

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 28 2012, 05:35 PM)
CA Hold the best 9 song (Back to Back) Run on any RUSH album. Even if you split "2112" Suite into individual songs CA wins out by leaps and bounds IMO. Sadly most albums from the 70's and 80's had only, at their most, a total of 8 songs. The only album that comes near is S & A and those songs are a Far Cry from being as good as the songs in CA! Counterparts was also a contender until you got to "Speed of Love". Anyway thats Opinion.

Ok Let me have it!

ohmy.gif

quality > quantity

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 28 2012, 06:42 PM)
CA Hold the best 9 song (Back to Back) Run on any RUSH album. Even if you split "2112" Suite into individual songs CA wins out by leaps and bounds IMO. Sadly most albums from the 70's and 80's had only, at their most, a total of 8 songs. The only album that comes near is S & A and those songs are a  Far Cry from being as good as the songs in CA! Counterparts was also a contender until you got to "Speed of Love". Anyway thats Opinion.

Ok Let me have it!

ohmy.gif

quality > quantity

Yes but Quantity + Quality > Quality!

wink.gif

I'm also going to have to agree.

Kind of.

Taking a quick look at my song-by-song ratings, I have the first 9 songs of CA averaging exactly "very good/excellent". Although I'm still holding back a bit on a couple ratings while the album is new - it could go up.

I have to go back to Signals to find a stretch with an average that high, and Signals only has 8 songs! As I rank it, Hemispheres also averages exactly "very good/excellent" and has nine songs in total.

Every other album is worse than CA or doesn't have enough songs to compete.

I think we have effectively illustrated that Clockwork Angels has entered rarified air.

Can you combine consecutive albums? Hemispheres and PeW would rival CA. As would PeW and MP. Necromancer through A Farewell to Kings would beat CA for me.

Also, I don't know that Counterparts has more than one song that would even be good enough to be on CA, so that album is obviously not right for this discussion.

HE isn't really that bad of a song, but definitely one of the weaker ones on the album. However, it really doesn't ruin the run of songs... CA definitely has one of the best runs on ANY album period, well... I can't really say that, I'm biased. DSOTM has it beat by one song in my book at least. But still when it comes to Rush, absolutely... Edited by pfrushfan0122

Saying CA has a better run than 2112 is like saying George W Bush was a better president than Franklin D Roosevelt. C'mon man. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Aug 28 2012, 11:20 PM)
Saying CA has a better run than 2112 is like saying George W Bush was a better president than Franklin D Roosevelt. C'mon man. eyesre4.gif

I can name about 40 presidents better than FDR, but what does this have to do with Rush?

Ok Let me have it!

ohmy.gif

Let you have it?

Please, pass me what you're smokin wink.gif

I'm kidding of course, Clockwork Angels is a really great Rush album, but seriously, does every post in this forum have to be about how much better or worse it is then their other stuff?

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 29 2012, 01:14 AM)
Ok Let me have it!

ohmy.gif

Let you have it?

Please, pass me what you're smokin wink.gif

I'm kidding of course, Clockwork Angels is a really great Rush album, but seriously, does every post in this forum have to be about how much better or worse it is then their other stuff?

No.....Just the ones that depict those comparisons.

tongue.gif

Dude, just the first 5 songs are better than the entire 2112 suite IMO. Now that said, A Passage to Bangkok is better than Halo Effect and basically thats where it ends, Cause 7Cog is much better than Twilight Zone, And lets not even try to compare The Wreckers & Headlong Flight to Lesson and Tears.

No Comparison!

no.gif

I posted something like this before, namely if you take the recording time bands had in the 80's or 90's and put your best from CA on that it's pretty damn good. Albums have been able to hold more and more music through the years so the challenge to make a masterpiece from start to finish is greater.

Clockwork Angels has about 67 minutes of music. Permanent Waves has a little over 35 minutes. Would Permanent Waves still be considered the masterpiece it is if Rush had to record an additional 32 minutes worth of stuff?

Take the best 35 minutes from CA:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Headlong Flight

There's your album if it were 1981. That's a pretty damn intense album from start to finish that I think people would be a bit more inclined to compare favorably to the classics. Does the album get bogged down a bit in parts? Yeah, but I'd bet Permanent Waves would too if they doubled the time

Anyway, I get what the OP is saying and agree, but the bigger point is overall I think you have to look at this album as amongst Rush's all time best if nothing else than for the consistency from start to finish

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 29 2012, 08:51 AM)
I posted something like this before, namely if you take the recording time bands had in the 80's or 90's and put your best from CA on that it's pretty damn good. Albums have been able to hold more and more music through the years so the challenge to make a masterpiece from start to finish is greater.

Clockwork Angels has about 67 minutes of music. Permanent Waves has a little over 35 minutes. Would Permanent Waves still be considered the masterpiece it is if Rush had to record an additional 32 minutes worth of stuff?

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight

There's your album if it were 1981. That's a pretty damn intense album from start to finish that I think people would be a bit more inclined to compare favorably to the classics. Does the album get bogged down a bit in parts? Yeah, but I'd bet Permanent Waves would too if they doubled the time

Anyway, I get what the OP is saying and agree, but the bigger point is overall I think you have to look at this album as amongst Rush's all time best if nothing else than for the consistency from start to finish

goodpost.gif

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight

Well, that's a good argument, but it's only half an argument.

Sure, CA is 67 minutes long, but it took 5 YEARS to make. How much music did Rush put out in any given 5-year stretch from '74 to '93? Normally it was 3 or 4 separate albums. Even having 3 albums in 5 years would yield something like 120 minutes of music.

So, when you say an old album would suffer if they doubled the time, it's a false argument. They DID take AFTK and double its running time - it's called Hemispheres and it came out a year later. And then they'd still have 3 years to spare if they followed a 5-year plan like they do now.

This illustrates that the music game has changed. If CDs didn't hold so much music, if digital sales weren't so important, if concerts weren't such a big deal, if singles and radio play still determined which artists got rich... well then, Rush would still be putting out two 35-minute albums every 2 years like they used to, and not a chock filled CD every five years.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 29 2012, 11:39 AM)
They are great songs...but nope.

Halo Effect, and to a lesser degree Carnies take it out of the running for me.

The rest of the tracks are all ACES though.

that's interesting. To me, Halo Effect is gaining more cred every day. I liked it initially and its stature is growing on me.

Carnies? what's up with that selection if I may ask?

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 29 2012, 12:54 AM)
Saying CA has a better run than 2112 is like saying George W Bush was a better president than Franklin D Roosevelt.  C'mon man.  eyesre4.gif

I can name about 40 presidents better than FDR, but what does this have to do with Rush?

Yeah, the president who led the country out of the Great Depression and to a victory in World War II, what a slacker. eyesre4.gif