Rush not nice guys?!

skullchrist

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 24 2012, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 24 2012, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 24 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 22 2012, 04:07 PM)
a friend of mine who was a program director at Tucson station KLPS told me he once approached Geddy at a baseball game and introduced himself and Geddy's response was "you're in my space". He was so defeated after that sad.gif

If he would have said that to me I can promise you I would have told him to Fu-k off. Fact

You would have told Geddy to fuckk off? No way bro you haven't got the stones! laugh.gif Even your wife calls you PETALDAD...

ohmy.gif laugh.gif 1022.gif

laugh.gif But yeah, I would yes.gif

laugh.gif

trink39.gif cool10.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why people think that it is appropriate for fans to approach celebrities in public when they are pursuing their private lives. While I can understand and empathise with that fan's hurt and disappointment at being told "You're in my space" by someone he admired, I can also understand and empathise with Geddy's desire to enjoy the baseball game in peace. And "You're in my space" hardly wins in the "nastiest celebrity response to being approached in a private-life moment by a fan" category. I've also heard stories of Geddy being gracious and polite to fans approaching him in private-life moments, so why should he be judged as "not a nice guy" because his record in this department is less than completely perfect?

Fans who approach celebrities in non-professional situations should be prepared to have less-than-satisfactory experiences.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 24 2012, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 24 2012, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 23 2012, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 23 2012, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 23 2012, 09:27 AM)

Fowler admits in the interview that he never witnessed any events, he just heard stories about Rush treating the Runaways bad.

The story I've heard is that Rush would stand backstage while the Runaways played and laugh and throw balled up paper at them, causing Currie to slip and almost fall once.
Joan Jett said she got back at them by pissing on their guitars.

I don't believe any story that says they would not give their touring act a chance to sound check or turned off their equipment. This is what Aerosmith did to them, and Ged said in an interview that they would never treat someone this way as they knew what it felt like. He said supporting acts always had what they needed in their tour riders.

I think it was in Contents Under Pressure that Ged said that Aerosmith admitted that they had treated Rush bad and Steven Tyler said something to the affect that they would apologize to Rush if they ever ran into them, and Geddy thought that was a cool thing to do.

Funny...I wore my gold foil alchemy symbol t-shirt to Aerosmith here at Jiffy Lube Live and Steven Tyler turned around, bent down and pointed to me in the front row, yelling "Livin on the Edge"!

How was it? How was Cheap Trick?

I saw them at Jiff-my-Lube on their illfated 2009 tour for the first time with ZZ Top and they totally blew me away! I honestly did not expect them to sound that good (I was really there to see ZZ and I'm a fan but not a HUGE fan). It was the first show of the tour so that might explain why they were so fresh but I was really taken aback at how good the whole band sounded.

Not a big Aerosmith fan, but like their older material. I was surprised on how many oldies they played and how fantastic and really polished the show was generally. It was a fun and dynamic concert- unlike Rush imo. Cheap Trick was good, but I was very disappointed Bun E Carlos wasn't there.

Rush isn't fun? or polished? ?

No. I feel that Rush's recent showings lack lust: Little fan interaction by each member, muted enthusiasm. Neil and his hardcore "I am the consummate professional" mentality while playing. On top of that, the bleak drone of the newer music.

Letting their hair down and just having a damned good & relaxed time would really brighten things up. Its just not dynamic and fun to me anymore.

QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 21 2012, 10:53 AM)
First of all I know that Kim Fowley is prone to eccentricities and exaggeration but does anyone know what he's talking about here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/ru...ts-to-runaways/

I know everyone is human and are entitled to a bad day now and again but this just doesn't sound right to me. Thanks.

I think a better title for this thread and the story would be --

Runaways desperately look for press with half-true anecdote.

Even though I would definitely NOT call Rush assholes, they do strike me as being somewhat cocky...and rightfully so. They know the way music is supposed to be and are so prideful on being outstanding musicians. The boys giving the Runaways a hard time because they totally suck doesn't seem far fetched, but what we don't know is if any of The Runaways did something first. Maybe Joan Jett rejected Geddy's advances? LOL Just kidding

I don't think you'll ever see Rush acknowledge any of this, it's beneath them.

All that being said, The Runaways and Rush had no business being on the same ticket. Talk about 2 totally different fan bases

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 24 2012, 06:22 PM)
I don't understand why people think that it is appropriate for fans to approach celebrities in public when they are pursuing their private lives. While I can understand and empathise with that fan's hurt and disappointment at being told "You're in my space" by someone he admired, I can also understand and empathise with Geddy's desire to enjoy the baseball game in peace. And "You're in my space" hardly wins in the "nastiest celebrity response to being approached in a private-life moment by a fan" category. I've also heard stories of Geddy being gracious and polite to fans approaching him in private-life moments, so why should he be judged as "not a nice guy" because his record in this department is less than completely perfect?

Fans who approach celebrities in non-professional situations should be prepared to have less-than-satisfactory experiences.

I think it is generally appropriate to approach them in their private lives (situations vary (baseball game - ok; dinner - not ok)), but otherwise, I agree with your post. Geddy could have said worse, though I wish he would have said better.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 12:22 AM)
I don't understand why people think that it is appropriate for fans to approach celebrities in public when they are pursuing their private lives....... ......................also heard stories of Geddy being gracious and polite to fans approaching him in private-life moments, so why should he be judged as "not a nice guy" because his record in this department is less than completely perfect?

+1

My sister & my bro-in law met Alex & Geddy in the street one day in London in 1978 & they couldn't have been nicer, happy to chat & pose for pics.

Like anyone else we have good days & bad days.....and I've known a few successful musicians who absolutely resent that some people imagine they have a right to just intrude into whatever they are doing.

You just don't.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 25 2012, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 24 2012, 06:22 PM)
I don't understand why people think that it is appropriate for fans to approach celebrities in public when they are pursuing their private lives.  While I can understand and empathise with that fan's hurt and disappointment at being told "You're in my space" by someone he admired, I can also understand and empathise with Geddy's desire to enjoy the baseball game in peace.  And "You're in my space" hardly wins in the "nastiest celebrity response to being approached in a private-life moment by a fan" category.  I've also heard stories of Geddy being gracious and polite to fans approaching him in private-life moments, so why should he be judged as "not a nice guy" because his record in this department is less than completely perfect? 

I think it is generally appropriate to approach them in their private lives (situations vary (baseball game - ok; dinner - not ok)), but otherwise, I agree with your post. Geddy could have said worse, though I wish he would have said better.

Why is it okay to approach a famous person in any circumstance other than a clearly professional appearance? Why is a baseball game okay and a dinner not?

Even if you accept the premise that somehow a baseball game is an acceptable place to approach a famous person, exactly how many such approaches should that person have to suffer before they can safely be considered justified in asking to be able to enjoy the event in peace? Who knows how many people Geddy was polite to that day before becoming fed up and making that so aggressive, insulting and, oh, by the way, factual statement of "You're in my space"?

I once went to a baseball game with a famous person who was approached by several people during the course of the game. Although he was there to enjoy the game with friends and not to sign autographs and field questions from strangers, he tried his level best to do both. It was easier for him during the early innings, but as the game wore on I could see how much harder his struggle became to remain polite and tolerant. He succeeded at that, but it took an enormous toll on him. I remember when he got stopped on the stairs on the way up to the exit, seeing him take a deep breath and summon a smile as he signed yet another autograph, and how in the car after the game he was cranky and dispirited once surrounded by people who would understand and wouldn't then go out into the world talking about what a dick he was. This and other experiences that I've had on the fringes of fame in the course of my work in the field of documentary filmmaking have made me incredibly thankful that I am not in a part of the industry that will ever bring me that kind of public attention.

Lifeson is the only one I'd approach and even that would be a judgment call, just based on what I have heard about each of the guys. Neil obviously a no-no...Geddy I have heard is a toughie too. Lifeson seems to be the one more cordial and down to Earth.

The one time I did meet Geddy at his record signing he didn't seem to be enjoying himself at all. No smile, little eye contact, and the pictire I got with him is funny because I have a huge grin and he looks so annoyed....and this was at a public appearance where people are buying his album and he's SUPPOSED to be nice, so I can imagine how it would go when he's just trying to enjoy a baseball game outside of his Rush world...

We all have bad days. We all have days where if someone says the wrong thing, we might snap. Everyone judging Geddy based on some heresy story by a radio guy might be getting all bent for nothing.

The 2 times I have approached celebrities about a picture were average experiences. They both seemed annoyed but didn't come out and say anything asshole-like. They took their picture and were done with it

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 26 2012, 04:02 PM)
Lifeson is the only one I'd approach and even that would be a judgment call, just based on what I have heard about each of the guys. Neil obviously a no-no...Geddy I have heard is a toughie too. Lifeson seems to be the one more cordial and down to Earth.

The one time I did meet Geddy at his record signing he didn't seem to be enjoying himself at all. No smile, little eye contact, and the pictire I got with him is funny because I have a huge grin and he looks so annoyed....and this was at a public appearance where people are buying his album and he's SUPPOSED to be nice, so I can imagine how it would go when he's just trying to enjoy a baseball game outside of his Rush world...

We all have bad days. We all have days where if someone says the wrong thing, we might snap. Everyone judging Geddy based on some heresy story by a radio guy might be getting all bent for nothing.

The 2 times I have approached celebrities about a picture were average experiences. They both seemed annoyed but didn't come out and say anything asshole-like. They took their picture and were done with it

You should post that pic. I would love to see it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 26 2012, 02:02 PM)

I would never approach any of them anywhere. I wouldn't even want to meet them under any circumstances...

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 21 2012, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 21 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 21 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 21 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 21 2012, 11:11 AM)
I seriously doubt Rush were nasty to anyone.

Neil has proven to be very nasty at times. Venomous, too.

Very true.

Shooting blanks only embarrasses you.

Insulting other people without reason only embarrases you.

How did I insult you? And, if you've got some "very true" stories about Neil being venomous, then spill them. Otherwise, STFU. smile.gif

Saying that others are being untruthful (as you did in my other thread) or saying that they are embarrassing themselves is insulting. As is telling them to shut the f**k up.

There are numerous examples of Neil not being nice in his books, and his recent interview is both nasty and venomous. If you disagree with that sentiment. Fine. You can emplain why or simply disagree. By why be so insulting and rude about it?

Okay, I see what you mean then. His interview where he talks about Jesus and Republicans? I forget that what I think is a jab, others find venomous. And vise versa. My apologies to you then.

You need to work on that, I've noticed...

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 22 2012, 01:52 PM)

Neil is the source of my disenchantment with Rush. The negativity, elitist sentiment, hypocrisy, contradictions, double standards...

Dead on. Describes the main attributes of him very well.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Aug 27 2012, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Aug 22 2012, 01:52 PM)

Neil is the source of my disenchantment with Rush. The negativity, elitist sentiment, hypocrisy, contradictions, double standards...

Dead on. Describes the main attributes of him very well.

You guys are basing this on what? Things you have read and heard?

I really doubt you can make a sound judgement about someone's true nature without a personal relationship. Famous folk's worst moments are always immortilized in stone and often color people's opinions.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 26 2012, 03:07 PM)

Here you go, finally found it!

See how thrilled Geddy is to see me? rofl3.gif

'>My Webpage

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 29 2012, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 26 2012, 03:07 PM)

Here you go, finally found it!

See how thrilled Geddy is to see me? rofl3.gif

'>My Webpage

You were there so you'd know much better than we would BUT imho he doesn't looked annoyed in that shot...maybe a "forced smile for a pic" kind of thang but I wouldn't say he's annoyed.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 29 2012, 05:42 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 29 2012, 01:06 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 29 2012, 01:27 PM)
Maybe he was just annoyed because they put him in the goofy book section.

Good point! I'd be annoyed too if there were 4 N'Sync dolls looking at me all day

That's what I was gonna say!!!! laugh.gif

HAHA good point.

Yah maybe the picture doesn't look as bad as I built it up to be. Again, he wasn't an asshole by any means. It was a LONG LONG day and he had already done many of these. It was at The Block in Orange at a Virgin Records and the line was out of control. I remember my then girlfriend had never heard of Rush (this was in 2000) and I took her to this and she was blown away by the number of people.

So we were there a few hours before we got to him, and he just seemed....very tired, but very willing as far as pictures go. He was giving it his all