Favorite Version of Working Man

LedRush

What is your favorite version of Wrking Man?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite version of Wrking Man?

• Rush - The Original
    • Rush - Studio Vault Edition (alternate solo)
    • ATWAS - Working Man/Finding My Way (15 minutes of awesome)
    • Different Stages - 1978 (4-minute version in medley-like string of songs)
    • Rush in Rio - (and the crowd goes wild)
    • R30 - (Reggae ending)
    • Time Machine - (Reggae opening; different, improvised solo)

The Time Machine solo is killer, but I don't particularly care for the reggae stuff. I guess I'll go with the original. It was one of the first dozen or so Rush tracks that I really got into. I can't even remember what most of these versions sound like, to be honest.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Aug 8 2012, 09:39 AM)
The Time Machine solo is killer, but I don't particularly care for the reggae stuff. I guess I'll go with the original. It was one of the first dozen or so Rush tracks that I really got into. I can't even remember what most of these versions sound like, to be honest.

Yeah, I tried to provide a little info to jog people's memory, but I didn't want to prejudice the voting too much.

I have been going through my iTunes selection, giving each song between 1-5 stars, and I've been going through Rush alphabetically by song to compare all the different versions of the songs. That's what make me think of this poll.

On a related note, how many people have the Vault Edition of the song? I listen to it more than the original, but probably because I've listened to the original for 20 years and the vault just for 4.

I first heard Working Man on All The World's A Stage so it will always be my introduction to the song and the first time I ever heard a Peart drum solo. Incredible.

My personal favorite of all time was St. Louis, 2010. Alex did things on the guitar that night that nearly raised demons.

Diff Stages

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 8 2012, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 8 2012, 01:10 PM)
Diff Stages

Any reason behind that one?

Sorry , brain fart . ATWAS . laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 8 2012, 01:31 PM)
Diff Stages

Ahh...that makes more sense laugh.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 8 2012, 05:00 PM)
Went with ATWAS on this list.

However, right now I am really digging the ABC1974 version, with the Bytor bit in the solo

ABC1974 Working Man, Snowdog in Solo

Yeah, that's a good one 1022.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Aug 8 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 8 2012, 05:00 PM)
Went with ATWAS on this list.

However, right now I am really digging the ABC1974 version, with the Bytor bit in the solo

ABC1974 Working Man, Snowdog in Solo

Yeah, that's a good one 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 8 2012, 01:31 PM)
Diff Stages

That 78 version on DS is killer though..

I actually prefer the vault edition to the original one, which might be because it's the one I heard first. Gasp! I know. But when I was first getting into Rush a few years ago, my introduction to Working Man was with the vault edition and so I got used to that one. I hardly ever listen to the original, as that's the one that sounds weird to me. laugh.gif

And in terms of live versions, I have to go with Time Machine, which is just amazing to watch. That solo section is some of the fiercest playing I've ever seen from them, and I'm blown away by it every time.

The Time Machine version! It was so fantastic to see them jamming like that! laugh.gif

I've always loved the original version - that's not to say I don't like the live ones, I do, but the way the three guys were locked in together during that session shows how tight they really were. My mind was completely blown.

Holy shit. I just relistened to the version on BTLS with Rutsey, and it's awesome. Lifeson goes nuts, Geddy is crazy, and John is a monster, driving the music. I'd kill for this sort of improv this time round.