The Cable Guy

priest_of_syrinx

I just watched The Cable Guy this evening... I personally liked it. It took me a while to warm up to it, but I did when I realized it's just as much tragedy as it is comedy. It really struck a chord with me because I have experienced a few toxic friendships before, and it's chilling to see how easily Steven falls into the trap.

What did TRF think of this polarizing movie?

For the most part, I was surprised by how much I liked The Cable Guy. There are some scenes that are difficult to watch, but there were enough moments where I was laughing so hard my sides hurt that make it worth watching.

I nearly fell off my couch laughing during the fight scene at Medieval Times.

"Best friends forced to do battle!" rofl3.gif

Edited by VampireBiscuits

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 27 2012, 01:26 AM)
I just watched The Cable Guy this evening... I personally liked it. It took me a while to warm up to it, but I did when I realized it's just as much tragedy as it is comedy. It really struck a chord with me because I have experienced a few toxic friendships before, and it's chilling to see how easily Steven falls into the trap.

What did TRF think of this polarizing movie?

I thought The Cable Guy was really funny when I saw it. It also struck a chord with me because Jim Carrey's character reminded me of someone that I once knew.

Edited by snowdogged

One of Carrey's most interesting movies that he's done IMO. Now that I think about it after he did this movie his career slowly started sloping downwards mainly due to him, or his agent trying to get him to do dramas and things like that, when in reality he is an awesome and hilarious comedian and should stick to what he's good at.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 29 2012, 01:56 PM)
One of Carrey's most interesting movies that he's done IMO. Now that I think about it after he did this movie his career slowly started sloping downwards mainly due to him, or his agent trying to get him to do dramas and things like that, when in reality he is an awesome and hilarious comedian and should stick to what he's good at.

I thought he had some really good dramatic roles, especially The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I grew up with his comedy and it was strange at first to see him doing dramas, but I think he's got great range that he doesn't get enough credit for.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 29 2012, 03:21 PM)

I thought he had some really good dramatic roles, especially The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I grew up with his comedy and it was strange at first to see him doing dramas, but I think he's got great range that he doesn't get enough credit for.

I'll agree with you there, I mean he isn't only good at comedy, but it's his main forte. Another one of his drama's/thrillers I liked was The Number 23.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 30 2012, 08:48 PM)
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/Lloyd-Christmas.jpg

http://www.zuguide.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/yes-man-jim-carrey.jpg

Edited by Union 5-3992

Even when I was 15 years old when I saw this at my local theater the week it came out I thought that this movie was misunderstood by the critics and audiences. Nice to see it more accepted over the years especially with the success of all the then unknown supporting cast members like Black and Wilson as well as Apatow. Liar Liar is still my favorite Carrey comedy of all time, though.

"STOP BREAKING THE LAW,A$$HOLE!!!" rofl3.gif laugh.gif

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Aug 1 2012, 08:57 PM)
Even when I was 15 years old when I saw this at my local theater the week it came out I thought that this movie was misunderstood by the critics and audiences. Nice to see it more accepted over the years especially with the success of all the then unknown supporting cast members like Black and Wilson as well as Apatow. Liar Liar is still my favorite Carrey comedy of all time, though.

Same here for Liar, Liar.

My favorite part:

THE COLOR OF THE PEN....

THAT I HOLD IN MY HAND...

IS..

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ROYAL BLUE!!!

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 29 2012, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Jul 29 2012, 03:21 PM)

I'll agree with you there, I mean he isn't only good at comedy, but it's his main forte. Another one of his drama's/thrillers I liked was The Number 23.

I never saw Number 23. I also liked him in Man on the Moon and I Love You Phillip Morris.

Dumb and Dumber will probably always be my favorite role of his though. He had some great moments on In Living Color too.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Aug 1 2012, 06:57 PM)

I love Liar Liar too- as long as you skip the last 20 minutes.

"I remember when you bought me this antique silver frame from Tiffany's... TIFFANY'S?"

"...Garage sale $6.50 marked down from $10.00!"

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Aug 2 2012, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Aug 1 2012, 06:57 PM)
Even when I was 15 years old when I saw this at my local theater the week it came out I thought that this movie was misunderstood by the critics and audiences.  Nice to see it more accepted over the years especially with the success of all the then unknown supporting cast members like Black and Wilson as well as Apatow.  Liar Liar is still my favorite Carrey comedy of all time, though.

"STOP BREAKING THE LAW,A$$HOLE!!!"  rofl3.gif  laugh.gif

I love Liar Liar too- as long as you skip the last 20 minutes.

"I remember when you bought me this antique silver frame from Tiffany's... TIFFANY'S?"

"...Garage sale $6.50 marked down from $10.00!"

"You want a raise!? Here's your raise!" laugh.gif

I liked Jim Carrey in Man On The Moon, The Truman Show, Number 23 and his cameo in one of the Dirty Harry movies. I couldn't quite get into The Cable Guy. Or the Ace Ventura movies.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 20 2012, 08:09 AM)
I liked Jim Carrey in Man On The Moon, The Truman Show, Number 23 and his cameo in one of the Dirty Harry movies. I couldn't quite get into The Cable Guy. Or the Ace Ventura movies.

That's understandable, The Cable Guy and The Ace Ventura movies aren't for everyone. Personally, I love the second Ace Ventura movie (When Nature Calls) but I'd definitely list it as a guilty pleasure. I can't watch the first one though.