Giving Each Song a Rating...

Mr. Not

Caravan - 10/10--Prog Perfection! 1022.gif

BU2B - 10/10--Just Slammin!!! 1022.gif

Clockwork Angels - 10/10--Epic in every facet 1022.gif

The Anarchist - 10/10--Metal+Great Chorus 1022.gif

Carnies - 10/10--See above 1022.gif

Halo Effect - 10/10--How cool is this??? cool10.gif

Seven Cities of Gold - 10/10--The only Rush song that makes women wanna strip!!! 1022.gif

The Wreckers - 9/10--Get's better every time I hear it!!!

Headlong Flight - 10/10--Gonadal Integrity 1022.gif

BU2B2 -Fits album perfectly yes.gif

Wish Them Well - 8.5/10--Catchy Song common001.gif

The Garden - 10/10--Sniff fists crying.gif The CD is done!!!

Call me a fanbois or whatever...this album rests with the best they've ever put out.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caravan 10/10

BU2B 9/10

Clockwork Angels 10/10

The Anarchist 10/10

Carnies 9/10

Halo Effect 8/10

Seven Cities of Gold 8/10

The Wreckers 9/10

Headlong Flight 10/10

BU2B2 7/10

Wish Them Well 9/10

The Garden 10/10

Whole album 9/10

Several times I've wanted to take on this thread and give a numerical rating to the songs.

I keep coming to the same difficulty, which is that I have to take Rush's entire career into consideration when doing so. For example, songs like Xanadu, La Villa, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and SO many other are solid 10's. I absolutely love Clockwork Angels and The Garden and so many other songs on this album, but are they in that category? Do I give them 10's just because I think they're amazing songs, or do I give them 9's because they're not quite at the level of Xanadu?

In reality, however, Xanadu would be like a 15 out of 10, so surely some of the new songs could rate at least a 10. It almost seems as if 1-10 isn't enough of a rating system. If I gave The Garden a 10 it says it's as good as Xanadu, but to rate it a 9 or 9.5 doesn't seem fair either. I have to look at all of it in a greater perspective, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet - it's all still so new. I could rate the songs against each other on the album only. For example, the best songs would get a 10 regardless of Rush's history.

I know many would think I'm way overthinking this, and I'm sure they're right, but I think about these things when giving rankings - I don't do it lightly. Anyway, still thinking about if and how I could rank these songs 1-10...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2012, 09:47 AM)
Several times I've wanted to take on this thread and give a numerical rating to the songs.

I keep coming to the same difficulty, which is that I have to take Rush's entire career into consideration when doing so. For example, songs like Xanadu, La Villa, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and SO many other are solid 10's. I absolutely love Clockwork Angels and The Garden and so many other songs on this album, but are they in that category? Do I give them 10's just because I think they're amazing songs, or do I give them 9's because they're not quite at the level of Xanadu?

In reality, however, Xanadu would be like a 15 out of 10, so surely some of the new songs could rate at least a 10. Still I have to look at all of it in a greater perspective, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet - it's all still so new. I could rate the songs against each other on the album. For example, the best songs would get a 10 regardless of Rush's history. Anyway, still thinking about if and how I could rank these songs 1-10...

This album stands on its own. There are songs on this album that stand with the greatest offerings of the Rush catalog.

Let's see what you cook up there Goobs!!!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 23 2012, 07:53 AM)

I keep coming to the same difficulty, which is that I have to take Rush's entire career into consideration when doing so.  For example, songs like Xanadu, La Villa, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and SO many other are solid 10's.  I absolutely love Clockwork Angels and The Garden and so many other songs on this album, but are they in that category?  Do I give them 10's just because I think they're amazing songs, or do I give them 9's because they're not quite at the level of Xanadu? 

In reality, however, Xanadu would be like a 15 out of 10, so surely some of the new songs could rate at least a 10.  Still I have to look at all of it in a greater perspective, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet - it's all still so new.  I could rate the songs against each other on the album.  For example, the best songs would get a 10 regardless of Rush's history.  Anyway, still thinking about if and how I could rank these songs 1-10...

This album stands on its own. There are songs on this album that stand with the greatest offerings of the Rush catalog.

That's what I get for not editing my posts before I post them - people often respond to them before I'm done with them! tongue.gif

I'll think more about it - I'm sure I'll come up with something soon, with the explanation that it's still pretty early on in the game and that the numbers could change over the next few weeks and months...

What I really need is an explanation of what 1-10 means. I did that for rating albums:

10. Absolute perfection all the way through - a masterpiece.
9. Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect.
8. Great album, a must-own.
7. Very good album - well worth owning.
6. Not thier best, but still pretty darn good.
5. I don't listen that often, but it's a good album.
4. It's not bad, some weaker material.
3 - It's alright, I'll listen and enjoy it occasionally, but will often skip some tracks.
2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but generally fairly weak.
1 - Barely listenable, for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks.
0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

That makes sense to me, and if I use that as a universal guide when rating albums, it will all be consistent using the same criteria.

I find coming up with a ranking system, or what 1-10 actually means far more difficult when dealing with individual songs. What makes a song a 10 instead of a 9, or a 9.5, or a 9.75? Do I reward a song with a 10 because it's the best of the best of the best and therefore give other songs that are also completely outstanding a lesser grade just because they're not quite at that level?

At some point it becomes about levels of perfection to me as opposed to perfect vs. not completely perfect. It's easier to determine this with an entire album. Do I reward all perfect songs with a 10 even though some are MORE perfect than others? wacko.gif

When I came up with my long list of perfect albums, some criticized I had too many, that I was too lenient, and their lists were FAR shorter only giving a very few the PERFECT rating, but really how could I not give something a rating of perfect, just because there were albums that were MORE perfect? An album that I truly love from start to finish without any complaints has to be perfect to me, even though some albums are even better than that. Really though, it's not a bad problem to have...

Edited by rushgoober

Caravan - 10/10

BU2B- 10/10

Clockwork Angels - 10/10

The Anarchist -7/10

Carnies - 8/10

Halo Effect - 7/10

Seven Cities Of Gold- 7/10

The Wreckers- 1/10

Headlong Flight-10/10

BU2B2-0/10

Wish Them Well - 1/10

The Garden - 10/10

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 23 2012, 10:53 AM)

I keep coming to the same difficulty, which is that I have to take Rush's entire career into consideration when doing so.  For example, songs like Xanadu, La Villa, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and SO many other are solid 10's.  I absolutely love Clockwork Angels and The Garden and so many other songs on this album, but are they in that category?  Do I give them 10's just because I think they're amazing songs, or do I give them 9's because they're not quite at the level of Xanadu? 

In reality, however, Xanadu would be like a 15 out of 10, so surely some of the new songs could rate at least a 10.  Still I have to look at all of it in a greater perspective, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet - it's all still so new.  I could rate the songs against each other on the album.  For example, the best songs would get a 10 regardless of Rush's history.  Anyway, still thinking about if and how I could rank these songs 1-10...

Two songs at most, being the title track and HF. The others do not.

firedevil.gif The whole Darn thing its perfect 10/10 for me

Maybe you dont figure it out yet fing.gif

But this is one of the best albums like ever! 1022.gif

Just try to grab a new or old CD from your collection of any artist at any time

and see if it stands against Clockwork angels no.gif

Dont think so

The Priests just made history again

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Jul 23 2012, 10:47 AM)

Dont think so

goodpost.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Jul 23 2012, 11:47 AM)

Dont think so

cool10.gif

Dont think so

I know so laugh.gif It's great you love this album and so do i but jesus really ? That is Honeymoon talk if i ever heard it , no way you think this down the road or is your record collection small ? wink.gif

Dont think so

alex is that you? unsure.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 10:55 AM)

Dont think so

I know so laugh.gif It's great you love this album and so do i but jesus really ? That is Honeymoon talk if i ever heard it , no way you think this down the road or is your record collection small ? wink.gif

laugh.gif

Here are my own ratings:

Caravan: 7

BU2B: 6

Clockwork Angels: 9

The Anarchist: 9

Carnies: 6

Halo Effect: 5

Seven Cities of Gold: 6

The Wreckers: 8

Headlong Flight: 9

BU2B2: 2

Wish Them Well: 6

The Garden: 8

Subject to change when the honeymoon is over.

Caravan - 9

BU2B - 6

Clockwork Angels - 7

The Anarchist - 8

Carnies - 7

Halo Effect - 7

Seven Cities of Gold - 9

The Wreckers - 9

Headlong Flight - 8

BU2B2 - 6

Wish Them Well - 5

The Garden - 9

Overall: 8/10

Caravan - 9

BU2B - 8

Clockwork Angels - 10

The Anarchist - 9

Carnies - 8

Halo Effect - 9

Seven Cities of Gold - 10

The Wreckers - 9

Headlong Flight - 10

BU2B2 - 8

Wish Them Well - 8

The Garden - 10

The amazing thing about CA is the overall consistency of the songs. For me, there are no mediocre tracks to drag the album down like Good News First, Bravest Face, One Little Victory, Freeze, or most of TFE. tongue.gif

And the good songs on CA are REALLY good. yes.gif If you took the best 40 minutes of CA and cleaned up the mix tongue.gif , you would truly have an album to rival their classics:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Halo Effect

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 23 2012, 10:50 AM)
s on CA are REALLY good. yes.gif If you took the best 40 minutes of CA and cleaned up the mix tongue.gif , you would truly have an album to rival their classics:

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Halo Effect
Seven Cities of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
The Garden

I'd change that to just:

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

The Garden

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 22 2012, 11:07 AM)
Caravan - 5/10
BU2B - 6/10
Clockwork Angels - 7/10
The Anarchist - 6/10
Carnies - 4/10
Halo Effect - 3/10
Seven Cities of Gold - 4/10
The Wreckers - 3/10
Headlong Flight - 5/10
BU2B2 - 3/10
Wish Them Well - 4/10
The Garden - 6/10

Wow... unsure.gif

Can you rate Headlong Flight 5/10 and still be considered a Rush fan? tongue.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 23 2012, 07:04 PM)
Caravan - 5/10
BU2B - 6/10
Clockwork Angels - 7/10
The Anarchist - 6/10
Carnies - 4/10
Halo Effect - 3/10
The Wreckers - 3/10
Headlong Flight - 5/10
BU2B2 - 3/10
Wish Them Well - 4/10
The Garden - 6/10

Wow... unsure.gif

Can you rate Headlong Flight 5/10 and still be considered a Rush fan? tongue.gif

To be a real Rush fan, you have to be able to criticize their best stuff. Look at metalsdad's posts about S&A.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 23 2012, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 23 2012, 07:04 PM)
Caravan - 5/10
BU2B - 6/10
Clockwork Angels - 7/10
The Anarchist - 6/10
Carnies - 4/10
Halo Effect - 3/10
The Wreckers - 3/10
Headlong Flight - 5/10
BU2B2 - 3/10
Wish Them Well - 4/10
The Garden - 6/10

Wow... unsure.gif

To be a real Rush fan, you have to be able to criticize their best stuff. Look at metalsdad's posts about S&A.

z7shysterical.gif

Right, hence the smiley. tongue.gif But a less than failing grade for HF? Seriously? confused13.gif tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2012, 08:59 AM)
What I really need is an explanation of what 1-10 means. I did that for rating albums:

10. Absolute perfection all the way through - a masterpiece.
9. Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect.
8. Great album, a must-own.
7. Very good album - well worth owning.
6. Not thier best, but still pretty darn good.
5. I don't listen that often, but it's a good album.
4. It's not bad, some weaker material.
3 - It's alright, I'll listen and enjoy it occasionally, but will often skip some tracks.
2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but generally fairly weak.
1 - Barely listenable, for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks.
0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

That makes sense to me, and if I use that as a universal guide when rating albums, it will all be consistent using the same criteria.

I find coming up with a ranking system, or what 1-10 actually means far more difficult when dealing with individual songs. What makes a song a 10 instead of a 9, or a 9.5, or a 9.75? Do I reward a song with a 10 because it's the best of the best of the best and therefore give other songs that are also completely outstanding a lesser grade just because they're not quite at that level?

At some point it becomes about levels of perfection to me as opposed to perfect vs. not completely perfect. It's easier to determine this with an entire album. Do I reward all perfect songs with a 10 even though some are MORE perfect than others? wacko.gif

When I came up with my long list of perfect albums, some criticized I had too many, that I was too lenient, and their lists were FAR shorter only giving a very few the PERFECT rating, but really how could I not give something a rating of perfect, just because there were albums that were MORE perfect? An album that I truly love from start to finish without any complaints has to be perfect to me, even though some albums are even better than that. Really though, it's not a bad problem to have...

This is easy. Our conversation could go something like this...

LABT: The ratings all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

goober: Oh, I see. And most ratings go up to ten?

LABT: Exactly.

goober: Does that mean it's better? Is it any better?

LABT: Well, it's one better, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be rating at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your rating. Where can you go from there? Where?

goober: I don't know.

LABT: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

goober: Rate it up to eleven.

LABT: Eleven. Exactly. One better.

goober: Why don't you just make ten better and make ten be the top number and make that a little better?

[Pause.]

LABT: These go to eleven.

Ok, I'll play:

Caravan 2/10

BU2B 2/10

Clockwork Angels 4/10

The Anarchist 4/10

Carnies 5/10

Halo Effect 3/10

Seven Cities Of Gold 1/10

The Wreckers 4/10

Headlong Flight 4/10

BU2B2 1/10

Wish Them Well 1/10

The Garden 5/10

So better than anything they've released since Signals for me.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 24 2012, 03:22 AM)
Ok, I'll play:

Caravan 2/10
BU2B 2/10
Clockwork Angels 4/10
The Anarchist 4/10
Carnies 5/10
Halo Effect 3/10
Seven Cities Of Gold 1/10
The Wreckers 4/10
Headlong Flight 4/10
BU2B2 1/10
Wish Them Well 1/10
The Garden 5/10

So better than anything they've released since Signals for me.

Better than anything since Signals (a full 30 years ago), and you give the songs THAT low a score? Your average score is 3/10. ohmy.gif

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Hate to say it dude, but it sounds like you're not a fan of this band anymore. Maybe time to pack it in and move on to bands you actually like?