did CA suffer due to break in writing/recording?

lifeson90

yeah was just wondering, caravan & Bu2b were released a long time ago and apparently at least another three of the CA tracks were written at the same time before the time machine tour...

firstly, i dunno which of the other tunes were written at first and would like to know really... another couple of the tracks stand out for me on the album along with caravan/Bu2b and it would be fascinating to discover these were the ones put together at the same time but....

all in all, when considering the quality of caravan and Bu2b, do you think the recording of CA may have suffered as a result of the long break during the time machine machine tour etc?

i'm only asking as, for me caravan and Bu2b are so obviously different class to anything else on CA with exception of the title track and the garden, and i'm just wondering how the album may have turned out if theyd just got on with it and wrote the whole of CA in the same earlier period

dont get me wrong it's still a great album, but even recently geddy was asked in a uk bbc radio interview how the break may have affected the recording and his reply was 'well it is what it is really' which is fine and and a perfectly acceptable answer, but the question should be asked and answered in some kind of way now (at least for me anyways) - as caravan and Bu2b were so obviously brilliant rush at their best, did the rest of the album suffer as a result of the very long break, and even the change of recording studio etc?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats just opinions. I think BU2B has less of that "we just jammed these songs out in a studio" sound to it, so I like it more than the rest. It just sounds like it got more love and attention.

What has changed is the mix quality. Listen to the drums in the original singles, then listen to them on the album, they're not as powerful or dynamic, and that stretches through the rest of the album. I have no idea why but when I crank BU2B on the album in the car its just not as powerful as it was, so in itunes I replaced the album versions of caravan and bu2b with the singles versions and I feel at least a little better about it now, just wish the rest of the songs had the same recording quality.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 18 2012, 08:01 AM)
Oh yeah--it suffers from awesomeness, incredible playing, and lyrical genuis!

trink39.gif

And very bad sound

I think I read where they had 5-6 songs worked out when they decided to pick Caravan and BU2B to take on the road. That would be about half the album. I think I also read that The Garden was the first thing they wrote. So, in spite of the time lapse, it all seems from the same cloth to me.

My own issue is that the early release of Caravan/BU2B/and even HLF makes it strange. I always feel like I should skip the first two, since I already know them well, which makes CA the "first" "new" song/ start of the album, which it really isn't, but feels like it is, well, you get the point.

I summarize by saying: wouldn't mind if they didn't do that approach next time.

Wondering out loud: I do remember when the buzz first started about "a new Rush album" that Neil (I think) was talking about how the industry wasn't financially supportive of "albums" these days and they were wondering if they could even make one ( ohmy.gif ). So, my personal theory is that they WANTED to make an album and had to do the Time Machine tour to generate the funds to actually do it - the payoff being the CA album & tour revenue.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 18 2012, 08:00 AM)
I don't think so. I don't find Caravan and BU2B to be markedly superior to the rest of the album.

Agreed.

"Caravan" and "BU2B" were markedly better than the rest of the album? On the contrary!

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 18 2012, 09:07 AM)
So, my personal theory is that they WANTED to make an album and had to do the Time Machine tour to generate the funds to actually do it - the payoff being the CA album & tour revenue.

it was definitely a money maker and touring is where they make the money. that whole thing about them saying they wanted to warm up their chops to create the new album was a bunch of bs.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 18 2012, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 18 2012, 09:07 AM)
So, my personal theory is that they WANTED to make an album and had to do the Time Machine tour to generate the funds to actually do it - the payoff being the CA album & tour revenue.

it was definitely a money maker and touring is where they make the money. that whole thing about them saying they wanted to warm up their chops to create the new album was a bunch of bs.

c'mon, little short sighted, please don't take offense just roll this around.

If you were ever a touring musician you would now that when you are not on the road, an instrument is the last thing that you want to pick up. However when you are playing everyday, you are at the peak of what you can do. Also, the jam sessions during warm ups was when many of the ideas were born or developed bit by bit.

Neil is not real close to Geddy and Alex, he lives in LA. There is no doubt that money did play a factor in the touring, but you underestimate the importance of playing everyday with the band, and the social interaction between bandmates.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 18 2012, 10:10 AM)
I don't think so.  I don't find Caravan and BU2B to be markedly superior to the rest of the album.

Agreed.

"Caravan" and "BU2B" were markedly better than the rest of the album? On the contrary!

Along with HF, CA, The Anarchist, and The Wreckers. These six are great songs. The others, are OK at best.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 18 2012, 09:01 AM)
Oh yeah--it suffers from awesomeness, incredible playing, and lyrical genuis!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 18 2012, 10:14 AM)
I don't think so.  I don't find Caravan and BU2B to be markedly superior to the rest of the album.

far from it imo. i don't even like the songs.

sucks for you. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 18 2012, 11:00 AM)
a lot of the songs on CA are better than BU2B.

IMO.

and the cool part about that---Bu2b is a great song!!! That is saying about all the other songs huh?

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 18 2012, 09:23 AM)

IMO.

and the cool part about that---Bu2b is a great song!!! That is saying about all the other songs huh?

trink39.gif

I actually wasn't a huge fan of BU2B until I heard it in context with the rest of the album. I think every song is quality.

so in answer to the OP's question. NO.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 18 2012, 12:39 PM)

IMO.

trink39.gif

I actually wasn't a huge fan of BU2B until I heard it in context with the rest of the album. I think every song is quality.

I was the same. I didn't particularly care for either of the new songs when they first came out, and the gigs didn't change my opinion very much, but in the context of the album they've come to seem just perfect.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:39 PM)

IMO.

trink39.gif

same here

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 18 2012, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 18 2012, 10:48 AM)
No.  Though a lot of us here suffered from all the people whining about it!

right there with ya!!!

goodpost.gif

Me too goodpost.gif

>>did CA suffer due to break in writing/recording?

No, just the opposite. The newer tracks are by far my favorites, and I don't think it's just the honeymoon effect.

I think these newer tracks do a better job of blending the new Rush sound with classic Rush from different eras:

Clockwork Angels: 2112 meets VT

The Anarchist: GUP/Signals meets VT

Halo Effect: FBN meets CP

Seven Cities Of Gold: Debut meets TFE

The Wreckers: Presto meets CP

Headlong Flight: COS/FBN meets CP

The Garden: Presto meets CP

Based on Caravan and BU2B, I was a little worried that CA would be a mostly heavy "new Rush" album. So I'm really glad the newer tracks are more diverse, and harken back to some of my favorite Rush eras.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 18 2012, 01:44 PM)
>>did CA suffer due to break in writing/recording?

No, just the opposite. The newer tracks are by far my favorites, and I don't think it's just the honeymoon effect.

I think these newer tracks do a better job of blending the new Rush sound with classic Rush from different eras:

Clockwork Angels: 2112 meets VT
The Anarchist: GUP/Signals meets VT
Halo Effect: FBN meets CP
Seven Cities Of Gold: Debut meets TFE
The Wreckers: Presto meets CP
Headlong Flight: COS/FBN meets CP
The Garden: Presto meets CP

Based on Caravan and BU2B, I was a little worried that CA would be a mostly heavy "new Rush" album. So I'm really glad the newer tracks are more diverse, and harken back to some of my favorite Rush eras.

interesting observation...never made the connections like that before. to me the anarchist has some PeW action going on in it as well.

goodpost.gif