did CA suffer due to break in writing/recording?

lifeson90

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 18 2012, 01:44 PM)
>>did CA suffer due to break in writing/recording?

No, just the opposite. The newer tracks are by far my favorites, and I don't think it's just the honeymoon effect.

I think these newer tracks do a better job of blending the new Rush sound with classic Rush from different eras:

Clockwork Angels: 2112 meets VT
The Anarchist: GUP/Signals meets VT
Halo Effect: FBN meets CP
Seven Cities Of Gold: Debut meets TFE
The Wreckers: Presto meets CP
Headlong Flight: COS/FBN meets CP
The Garden: Presto meets CP

Based on Caravan and BU2B, I was a little worried that CA would be a mostly heavy "new Rush" album. So I'm really glad the newer tracks are more diverse, and harken back to some of my favorite Rush eras.

I do not hear even a whisper of COS in HF. I think a lot of that is just grasping at straws honestly. CA didn't remind me of any albums before 1990.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 18 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 18 2012, 01:44 PM)
>>did CA suffer due to break in writing/recording?

No, just the opposite.  The newer tracks are by far my favorites, and I don't think it's just the honeymoon effect. 

I think these newer tracks do a better job of blending the new Rush sound with classic Rush from different eras: 

Clockwork Angels: 2112 meets VT
The Anarchist: GUP/Signals meets VT
Halo Effect: FBN meets CP
Seven Cities Of Gold: Debut meets TFE
The Wreckers: Presto meets CP
Headlong Flight: COS/FBN meets CP
The Garden: Presto meets CP

Based on Caravan and BU2B, I was a little worried that CA would be a mostly heavy "new Rush" album.  So I'm really glad the newer tracks are more diverse, and harken back to some of my favorite Rush eras.

I do not hear even a whisper of COS in HF. I think a lot of that is just grasping at straws honestly. CA didn't remind me of any albums before 1990.

Geddy and Alex themselves admitted to a nod to Bastile Day at the beginning of HF.

BU2B has enormously grown on the album. I really have started to love that song - although it still isn't their best on CA.

If all songs on CA had been like Caravan, though, it would have beaten Roll the Bones as definitely worst Rush album. Their worst opener ever!

So ... the break obviously has affected the recording process. To the better.

To the OP: I don't see how they couldn't be affected by the break, but I also don't see how one could even discover how it affected them, if it did, and to what degree. What I mean is: they live their lives everyday, just like we do, and everything that they encounter in live WILL have an effect on them, just like it does to everyone. But, I think it is irrelevant, really. I am sure something happens to Steven King, in the course of his daily writing, that he somehow, consciously or unconsciously incorporates into the book, but one would never know it.

Nope

From the Sound Engineering perspective

It is a work of art to make those 2 songs sound like part of the same record

You have to spend zillions of hours analizying graphics and stuff to make it feel like the same record

Just that, its a work of art

I feel the only song that stands out of the concept is Wish them Well, even Geddy said recently they were not sure to put it there.

There were a time when Caravan and BU2B came out that I didnt want to hear em, not untill the new record came out

I wanted to keep that "Gourmet moment" for the whole thing. but then I realized that I had tickets for the Time Machine tour and I know you enjoy more when you know the tune, so I started to listen those.

Later when Headlong Flight came out I thought: "My gash this record its roasting!"

I cannot wait to hear the rest

And then when finally the whole album came out, it fulfill my expectations with great songs and riffs, it is fantastics I cannot stop playing it, I keep it in my laptop at work, Jump in the car and its there, back home its on my Ipod, its everywhere, I cannot stop hearing the songs in my head even at bed time!

They nail it!