Why did Caress of Steel nearly derail Rush???

DBJetsman

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 20 2012, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jul 17 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 04:44 AM)
Other than that, it's got one pretty stupid song (I Think I'm Going Bald)

I Think I'm Going Bald and STUPID in the same sentence?! I think it's the BEST song on the album...

2.gif

Yes! The lyrics weren't bad. What's wrong with you people?

You want to bash lyrics......Tai Shan

"A memo to a higher office"

Most of the pap off of Snakes

I wub.gif I Think I'm Going Bald! wub.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jul 20 2012, 01:47 PM)
The Necromancer features some of the best vocals of Geddy's entire career.

smilies-8579.png

Brooding in the tower...

goodpost.gif yes.gif

+ some of the best guitar parts ever recorded, by any artist.

My answer to the OP's question is that the album had 2 very good songs (Lakeside Park & Bastille Day), one totally forgettable song (I Think I'm Going Bald) and 2 songs that (IMO) rank amount the bottom 20 songs Rush has every done (you can figure out which 2 I am taking about).

Those 2 songs made up the bulk of the album and they are really bad. With 2 long dogs the quality of the album is dragged wayyy down. Anytime the bulk of an album is made up of songs that suck, the album is likely to suck. I could be long winded but thats it in a nutshell.

I've always wondered if it would have been better received if side 1 was side 2 and vice versa. It's well produced for the time and there's alot of good music that I can instantly recall not like the 90's albums.

Strangely enough my son Alex has decided to buy a turntable and got out what was left of our record collection which we sold most of to finance our move to Tasmania. He found four Rush originals, one of which is Caress of Steel with gatefold sleeve.

Edited by tas7

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 20 2012, 04:05 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Brooding in the tower...

goodpost.gif yes.gif

I love Geddy's singing on this album. Loud, high, strong, and flexible. Pair his vocals with their music on 'The Necromancer' and you have an awesome song. I'm glad that I'm now getting to know (and love!) it better now! wub.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 21 2012, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 20 2012, 04:05 PM)

smilies-8579.png

Brooding in the tower...

goodpost.gif yes.gif

I love Geddy's singing on this album. Loud, high, strong, and flexible. Pair his vocals with their music on 'The Necromancer' and you have an awesome song. I'm glad that I'm now getting to know (and love!) it better now! wub.gif

Also, his singing and Alex guitar in No One at the Bridge wub.gif Brilliant stuff.

Wonder what their career would have been like if COS had been a hit? Would they still be here today?

Loved Rush the first album. Working Man was play on the radio all the time back then. I also bought Fly by Night thought it was a good album. Caress of Steel did nothing for me. I bought All the Worlds a Stage live album. Got 2112 live on that album. I still have it and the first album. I think Caress of Steel done me in. Never bought another Rush album, cd or dvd until I seen Beyond the Lighted Stage doc in 2010. I have now returned as a Big Rush fan. Went out and bought the doc, then 2112, then moving pictures, exit stage left came next, Time machine live in Cleveland also went to that concert and just bought Clockwork Angels. Going to see them in Indy Sept. 13. I plan on buying Hemishere and Permanent Waves soon. I still do not like any songs from COS.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 20 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 20 2012, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jul 17 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 17 2012, 04:44 AM)
Other than that, it's got one pretty stupid song (I Think I'm Going Bald)

I Think I'm Going Bald and STUPID in the same sentence?! I think it's the BEST song on the album...

2.gif

Yes! The lyrics weren't bad. What's wrong with you people?

You want to bash lyrics......Tai Shan

"A memo to a higher office"

Most of the pap off of Snakes

I wub.gif I Think I'm Going Bald! wub.gif

1022.gif

Because Paul Stanley didn't like it.

The band may not look too fondly on it now, but Bastille Day and Lakeside Park were likely in almost every set they played from The Caress of Steel Tour until Hemispheres (And they through in The parts of the Necromancer in the UK before A Farewell To Kings came out).

They were still supporting it almost three years after it came out so I'm not sure I buy that the band disowned the album like some have suggested.

I think the album is a masterpiece. Most days I like it better than 2112.

Not perfect of course, but one that was their first step to where they really wanted to go.

It may not have helped that they album cover got screwed up. I'm sure it would have looked a whole lot better if the Rush -- Caress Of Steel LOOKED like STEEL as it was intended.

I mean what would have happened with 2112 if the Red Star was brown by mistake?

CoS is not a very accessible album. This is coming from a huge fan. As a fan, I remember having a hard time wrapping my head around "The Necromancer." I adore "The Fountain Of Lamneth" and consider it a Rush masterpiece. But, getting to that point took time...years, even.

You EARN CoS....it is not given freely. wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 22 2012, 01:11 AM)
CoS is not a very accessible album. This is coming from a huge fan. As a fan, I remember having a hard time wrapping my head around "The Necromancer." I adore "The Fountain Of Lamneth" and consider it a Rush masterpiece. But, getting to that point took time...years, even.

You EARN CoS....it is not given freely. wink.gif

This album is the kind of metal that should have had the 1975 kids bowing down and going apeshit all over their home towns! Till their parents ran away from home!

1022.gif

QUOTE (FT Tracker @ Jul 21 2012, 07:47 PM)
Loved Rush the first album. Working Man was play on the radio all the time back then. I also bought Fly by Night thought it was a good album. Caress of Steel did nothing for me. I bought All the Worlds a Stage live album. Got 2112 live on that album. I still have it and the first album. I think Caress of Steel done me in. Never bought another Rush album, cd or dvd until I seen Beyond the Lighted Stage doc in 2010. I have now returned as a Big Rush fan. Went out and bought the doc, then 2112, then moving pictures, exit stage left came next, Time machine live in Cleveland also went to that concert and just bought Clockwork Angels. Going to see them in Indy Sept. 13. I plan on buying Hemishere and Permanent Waves soon. I still do not like any songs from COS.

Strange. I don't know how you can like the first two albums and not like Lakeside Park or Bastille Day. I don't know how you can like 2112 and Hemishperes and not The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth.

I think the issue with this album was that it was so transitional. The fans of the metal only got two songs to sink their teeth into, and fans of progressive or long-story pieces didn't know about Rush until 2112. They were in an "in-between" phase that is great for us fans now, but back in 1975 I'm sure no one knew what to do with the album.

Unfortunately people overall are quite simple, and for such a new band to put out such a complex, thought provoking album, people just didn't really "get" it. It's the same way we are now where if the first song we here from a band we've never heard of doesn't "grip" us, we're not very likely to keep listening to it and we're REALLY not likely to go see the band live. So I think that's really what it was. It wasn't a bad album, just bad timing.

Because Paul Stanley did not like it cool10.gif

If you go back now and listen to COS after listening to all the songs they have written since then. I can see how you would think it sounds like Rush. When it came out the only 2 Rush albums were Rush and Fly by Night. COS was nothing like the first 2. I would say the first 2 were more radio friendly. Don't ever remember hearing any song from COS on the radio. Because of that I think that was the beginning of Down the Tubes. Why would you want to see them live if you didnt like the new songs. 2112 wasnt played on the radio because it was to long, but it had a sound that was amazing for the period. Progressive rock was getting radio play.