Popular Artists you just don't like

The Beatles bland? Ok, maybe when they started out and were just a pop band sure. But once they started experimenting, they were anything but that. And this is coming from someone who isn't really a fan of theirs either, so i'm not looking at this through fanboy eyes. They we're a unique one of a kind band who made it OK for bands after them to experiment with their sound because they were the originators of taking musical chances.

Yes this!

And whilst I will be frank and say I do think other bands from the sixties were better (sorry but The Doors were all out more exciting, and The Kinks and The Beach Boys had arguably better songs, and occasionally better albums), The Beatles still sit high on my list.

The biggest issue I have with the Beatles is how over the decades their music has been restricted from "best of the sixties compilations and other things. I think what that has done is to take The Beatles out of context and provide newer generations with the idea that there were The Beatles...and then NOTHING.

They always have been marketed as an almost separate entity from the rest of the era. And I find that sad.

• Like 1

I appreciate I am very much in a minority .................. But when I say bland; as a pop act I think bands such as The Kinks were far more interesting ..................... Lyrically there were so many acts who reflected the times and wrote about more interesting topics than holding hands or flying back to Russia; writing about the political and social upheavals of the time e.g. Bob Dylan ................... Musically, I find even Sgt Pepper dull when compared to Hendrix or (admittedly a couple of years later) King Crimson, Led Zep, Sabbath etc etc

Over the years I've come to accept that I don't get The Beatles, and never will; and it puts me in a minority.

I appreciate I am very much in a minority .................. But when I say bland; as a pop act I think bands such as The Kinks were far more interesting ..................... Lyrically there were so many acts who reflected the times and wrote about more interesting topics than holding hands or flying back to Russia; writing about the political and social upheavals of the time e.g. Bob Dylan ................... Musically, I find even Sgt Pepper dull when compared to Hendrix or (admittedly a couple of years later) King Crimson, Led Zep, Sabbath etc etc

Over the years I've come to accept that I don't get The Beatles, and never will; and it puts me in a minority.

I think Sgt. Pepper is equal parts great and garbage.

But the "Classic Police" will be hunting me down soon and giving me a lobotomy if I am not too careful.

The sixties for me are:

1. The Doors

2. The Beach Boys

3. The Beatles

4. The Kinks

5. Love

I just find a lot of The Beatles music to be bland; and although some of their songwriting is good, their musicianship (in terms of ability to play instruments) is average.

Many of Paul's songs on the white album were performed by him alone. And I'll take his solo on Taxman (yes, it's him, not George or John) over anything by Yngwie Malmsteen in terms of "fitting" the song. I think people conflate being a good musician and being a virtuoso.

• Like 1

I just find a lot of The Beatles music to be bland; and although some of their songwriting is good, their musicianship (in terms of ability to play instruments) is average.

Many of Paul's songs on the white album were performed by him alone. And I'll take his solo on Taxman (yes, it's him, not George or John) over anything by Yngwie Malmsteen in terms of "fitting" the song. I think people conflate being a good musician and being a virtuoso.

*cough* Dream Theater *cough*

This is really a cliched criticism of the Beatles. Cherry pick some pop song lyrics and leave out the rest. You mentioned King Crimson, google Robert Fripp's initial reaction to hearing "A Day in the Life".

This is really a cliched criticism of the Beatles. Cherry pick some pop song lyrics and leave out the rest. You mentioned King Crimson, google Robert Fripp's initial reaction to hearing "A Day in the Life".

Why can you never just respect someone's differing opinion?

Seriously, I think you are foolish and wrong in your dismissal of Bon Jovi and yet you will always crap upon other opinions that differ to yours.

Seriously, let go. He is most welcome to find the Beatles uninteresting.

Seriously, I think you are foolish and wrong in your dismissal of Bon Jovi and yet you will always crap upon other opinions that differ to yours.

Wow. So, no debate or defense of opinions is allowed? Are feelings being hurt?

Wow. So, no debate or defense of opinions is allowed? Are feelings being hurt?

I think I am having a man period. I may just have invented it.

Yikes I need a lie down.

Well........i don't pull out the beatles often. because every album, note, song is ingrained in my mind. no mystery anymore. however. they are still the most important in my musical development.

they are probably my fav band........probably, lol

Help! and Hard day's night are perfect pop/rock albums.

and the white album is my fav album ever.

Mick

• Like 2

Sam smith.

What a mopey miserable guy.

Mick

He doesn't even count. He is Boy George of this era. And his biggest hit is a blatant ripoff of Tom Petty.

There really isn't anything particularly camp about his music. It's not my taste, but he is a serious musician. Being gay aside, he has nothing in common with Boy George.

I couldn't care less that he is gay. I said Boy George because he looks and sounds like Boy George to me. and plenty of gay men don't look and sound like Boy George to me. :atickhum:

• Like 2

Sam smith.

Mick

He doesn't even count. He is Boy George of this era. And his biggest hit is a blatant ripoff of Tom Petty.

There really isn't anything particularly camp about his music. It's not my taste, but he is a serious musician. Being gay aside, he has nothing in common with Boy George.

I couldn't care less that he is gay. I said Boy George because he looks and sounds like Boy George to me. and plenty of gay men don't look and sound like Boy George to me. :atickhum:

Oh...I don't hear the similarity thats why I thought you said that.

I don't think they are comparable vocally...Boy George isn't a very good singer.

Sam smith.

Mick

I don't think they are comparable vocally...Boy George isn't a very good singer.

Boy George was a capable vocalist to me. Sam Smith have a similar tone on some stuff. Yes, he is a better technical singer.

• Like 1

Sam smith.

Mick

Boy George was a capable vocalist to me. Sam Smith have a similar tone on some stuff. Yes, he is a better technical singer.

Aaah ok...well personally, his range aside, I find both too maudlin for my tastes. Smith especially sounds like he needs some prozac (and this is coming from a fan of The Cure and The Smiths).

Sam smith.

Mick

Aaah ok...well personally, his range aside, I find both too maudlin for my tastes. Smith especially sounds like he needs some prozac (and this is coming from a fan of The Cure and The Smiths).

I never said I like this complete crap. I was just assessing ability level.

Sam smith.

Mick

I never said you did...I was just saying why I don't like him...

• Like 1

Sam smith.

Mick

Boy George was not as big as he was back in the day for no reason.

Perfectly crafted pop songs and a simply amazing voice.

• Like 3

Sam smith.

Mick

Man knew his way around a hook!

Not for everyone but then neither is The Smiths and I love Morrissey!

The Killers

Easy to hate. I love them but sort of don't understand why haha

The Killers

Love the first 2 albums and then its kinda downhill after that.

A few bands I never liked are Imagine Dragons, Staind, The Toadies and that's all I can think of right now.

Sam smith.

Mick

Time is a Clock In My Heart is a great song. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me has annoyed me since thenday it was released. Miss Me Blind is decent.