The Attack on Football

Cowtothesky

I was watching Wimbledon this morning and Charles Barkley was being interviewed before the match. He said, "You have to be stupid to let your kids play football today". I have noticed this a lot lately in the sports media and, of course, the new rules being implemented to protect players. Then you have the recent lawsuits against the NFL...

I see this going a few different ways. Either the game will be completely diminished into a step above touch football; or the game will be gone, starting with high school football and working up. There seems to be willing participants in the sports media allowing this to happen. I've heard one of them compare football to the gladiators in Rome willing to die to entertain the crowd.

Has anyone else noticed this or is this just me? I think that if you play in the NFL, there is an assumption of risk and a reason the pay is very good. It's not like they were forced to play the game. Right? Or am I just completely crazy?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For every season a player spends on an NFL roster, his life expectancy decreases by almost three years.

The average American male lives to be almost 75. According to reports, an NFL player, whose career lasts roughly four years on average, lives to be 55. The more years a player spends in the NFL, the more games and practices he survives, the quicker he dies.

The NFL has to do something "within reason" to stem the tide -

Wow. American football isn't even the roughest game out there.

Rugby is way worse, if you don't believe me, watch two grown men smash into each other at full speed WITHOUT any padding.

Association football (soccer) is pretty rough too.

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 7 2012, 11:03 AM)
Rugby is way worse, if you don't believe me, watch two grown men smash into each other at full speed WITHOUT any padding.

Simply not true. I've played both pick up games of tackle football and organized tackle football and believe me you hit differently when you have pads and a helmet than you do without.

I played 4 years of football and 8 years of Rugby. Football has far higher impact.

Based on my experience, the roughest game out there is MMA. I've certainly picked up more injuries in MMA than in Wrestling, Football, or Rugby.

Soccer ... really?

I just don't see it.

QUOTE (Transcendent Pilgrim @ Jul 7 2012, 11:23 AM)

Simply not true. I've played both pick up games of tackle football and organized tackle football and believe me you hit differently when you have pads and a helmet than you do without.

yes.gif

Ironically, the gear designed to protect the players is used as a weapon to inflict greater injury on the opponent.

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 8 2012, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (Transcendent Pilgrim @ Jul 7 2012, 11:23 AM)

yes.gif

Ironically, the gear designed to protect the players is used as a weapon to inflict greater injury on the opponent.

In my opinion the modern helmets are the cause of a lot of the problem. Hell when I played we used to psych ourselves up by going helmet to helmet before a game.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jul 7 2012, 01:21 PM)

Based on my experience, the roughest game out there is MMA. I've certainly picked up more injuries in MMA than in Wrestling, Football, or Rugby.

Soccer ... really?

I just don't see it.

Bare heads smash together during headers.

People get kicked full force in the face, groin, stomach.

People get stepped on with no helmet.

They take 100 mph soccer balls to the face.

Shin on shin contact at full speed.

My career is football (American).

I have coached NFL kids and future NFL kids, and thousands of regular kids.

I played 17 years through college, and have coached now for 17.

a few things I'd like to say...

1. The most dangerous thing a kid can do is a trampoline.

Football is risky but if someone ACTUALLY RESEARCHES "activities w/ highest rate of injury" football usually isn't even in the top 5 usually.

(How many of you let your kid skateboard/inline skate/swim/ride a bike?

go look at where these rank!)

2.At the highest levels soccer is tougher than "football" people want to give credit for,

although I (personally, my opinion and entitled to it... not gonna get into a discussion about it) think at the lower levels it helps create a culture of "softness" in boys)

3. NFL life expectancy MAY be tied to contact, but to play sports such as this one must have less regard for their body, and be willing to take higher RISK.

Do you think that they turn that off when done playing?

Many live lives full of risky behavior way before the ever enter the NFL, and many continue to do so after.

Can't blanket statement that its due to collisions.

4. Before I forget, Charles Barkley is a big mouth. He talks without thinking. So who cares what he says, he is ignorant of the game of football about as much as he is knowledgeable about the game of golf (he sucks).

5. Rugby tougher than football?

I dont have facts, but I highly doubt a rugby player can MOVE like NFL players, therefore the whole idea of FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION must be thrown out the window.

If this doesn't convince you, then let me ask you :

WHY DON'T RUGBY PLAYERS JUMP INTO THE NFL, THE MONEY IS BETTER ISN'T IT?!

Only ones that usually do are punters (i.e. non-contact)

6. very few ever intentionally use the helmet to hurt the opponent.

There's always an idiot out there but in the NFL many of them actually are good people (the media focuses on the negative... do you believe the media's version of everything else? I hope not)

7. helmet technology is getting better quickly (now) because of better computers and awareness, but it wasnt improving as quickly as players were getting BIGGER FASTER and STRONGER

(late 1980's is when bodies started to change, at first becuase of roids, but now they honestly are almost extinct becuase of better strength and conditioning research).

You will see the most damaged brains in MY generation late 1980s - 2000, my hunch.

8. High school football will not go away. There will be a more detailed waiver that parents will sign off on. They already do now, but in the future schools will protect themselves by stating that not only could their child get injured or die, but that there could be unforseable injury and damage to the body by participating.

thanks for reading this...

http://www.contingenciesonline.com/conting...e/20120708#pg41

The above link is to an article that shows that football players have a lower mortality than the general population, at least among players that were in the league in 1930, 1950, and 1980.

Interesting, because most people assume the opposite. I did, before I read this, though it would be interesting to see if it was still true.

Baseball players DO exhibit better mortality than football players, however, according to this study at least.

makes sense to me, they are extremely fit today.

I can't speak from ANY knowledge of players that far back though.

Great read, thanks!

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 16 2012, 08:24 PM)

Football is risky but if someone ACTUALLY RESEARCHES "activities w/ highest rate of injury" football usually isn't even in the top 5 usually.

2.At the highest levels soccer is tougher than "football" people want to give credit for,
although I (personally, my opinion and entitled to it... not gonna get into a discussion about it) think at the lower levels it helps create a culture of "softness" in boys)

3. NFL life expectancy MAY be tied to contact, but to play sports such as this one must have less regard for their body, and be willing to take higher RISK.
Many live lives full of risky behavior way before the ever enter the NFL, and many continue to do so after.

4. Before I forget, Charles Barkley is a big mouth. He talks without thinking. So who cares what he says, he is ignorant of the game of football about as much as he is knowledgeable about the game of golf (he sucks).

I dont have facts, but I highly doubt a rugby player can MOVE like NFL players, therefore the whole idea of FORCE = MASS x ACCELERATION must be thrown out the window.

There's always an idiot out there but in the NFL many of them actually are good people (the media focuses on the negative... do you believe the media's version of everything else? I hope not)

7. helmet technology is getting better quickly (now) because of better computers and awareness, but it wasnt improving as quickly as players were getting BIGGER FASTER and STRONGER
(late 1980's is when bodies started to change, at first becuase of roids, but now they honestly are almost extinct becuase of better strength and conditioning research).
You will see the most damaged brains in MY generation late 1980s - 2000, my hunch.

8. High school football will not go away. There will be a more detailed waiver that parents will sign off on. They already do now, but in the future schools will protect themselves by stating that not only could their child get injured or die, but that there could be unforseable injury and damage to the body by participating.

Thanks. This is a well written response. Rugby fans, soccer fans - this is not a popularity contest or time to act tough. Believe me, you don't want your sport to be worse than American football. Very hard to know what to do with this argument since we all complain about the "no fun league" but want improved safety. interesting to see what happens in the next 20 years.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 16 2012, 07:24 PM)

Good post, I have been coaching youth football for 7 years now. I actually have a concussion seminar given by a local hospital coming up next week. William Henderson will be there, I always loved the way he played for the Packers. He didn't care about the glory, he just hit the hole and blew it open for the RB.

Funny thing is, last year we had a seminar that stated cheerleaders are more likely to suffer a "career ending" injury than a football player. Why? They fly around and one little mess up in the catch or the landing... and they break a bone or blow out a knee. A skirt provides little protection.

z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif spit6ph.gif

I laughed so hard, I think I may have pee'd a little. laugh.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 7 2012, 10:54 AM)
For every season a player spends on an NFL roster, his life expectancy decreases by almost three years.

Excluding the kicker. common001.gif

The NFL is the toughest sport there is period.

No other sport comes close..and it was even tougher

back in the " OLD DAYS ".

My Mom's uncle played from 1925-1930, as a RB, TB and LB

(they played both offense and defense, back then.) ,

so you had to really be tough as nails to get the job done.

They didn't have the protective gear like today's player's have,

so you would think the life expectancy would be less...right???

It wasn't...I have a picture of the 1925 championship team taken

in 1964 or 65, and most were still alive, in their mid to late 60's.

...So the theory that all the tough hit's shorten a player's life,

might not really be true.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 17 2012, 08:47 PM)
Football isn't going anywhere. It FAR exceeds MLB and NBA in both popularity and revenue.

goodpost.gif Agree 100%.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 18 2012, 09:36 PM)
The NFL is the toughest sport there is period.
No other sport comes close..and it was even tougher
back in the " OLD DAYS ".

My Mom's uncle played from 1925-1930, as a RB, TB and LB
(they played both offense and defense, back then.) ,
so you had to really be tough as nails to get the job done.

They didn't have the protective gear like today's player's have,
so you would think the life expectancy would be less...right???
It wasn't...I have a picture of the 1925 championship team taken
in 1964 or 65, and most were still alive, in their mid to late 60's.

...So the theory that all the tough hit's shorten a player's life,
might not really be true.

So ... WRONG.

I've played Rugby, Football and MMA. Football is definitely third.

Football has a limited number of high impact plays. Players spend roughly half of the plays on the bench. Rugby is 80 mins of full contact with no padding. I had more injuires in Rugby than Football and my body was significantly more sore after a Rugby match.

Neither of close to MMA. MMA has all of the contact of both sports with no padding (aside from a 4 oz glove). It has strikes and kicks, joints locks involving hyper rotation and hyper extensions, chokes, traps, etc.

I've had two full contact fights (1 - 1) and even the one I won I broke a finger and lacerated a kidney. I am done with full contact MMA. I spar with 14 oz gloves and do a lot of submissions grappling (have a tourney coming up in October).

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 18 2012, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 17 2012, 08:47 PM)
Football isn't going anywhere. It FAR exceeds MLB and NBA in both popularity and revenue.

goodpost.gif Agree 100%.

I love football. Have had season tickets for the Ravens since they came to Baltimore. All I am saying is that the football field is not as tough as the Octagon.

Consider this: in the UFC, one in 5 fighters has a 90 (or longer) medical suspension follow each fight. Imagine the length of the IR if that happened in football.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 19 2012, 11:14 PM)
Yeah but fighting bores me and football doesn't. tongue.gif

Fair enough.

But in terms of excitement, I think we can agree that both sports pale when compared to ... curling!

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 9 2012, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jul 7 2012, 01:21 PM)

Soccer ... really?

I just don't see it.

Bare heads smash together during headers.

People get kicked full force in the face, groin, stomach.

People get stepped on with no helmet.

They take 100 mph soccer balls to the face.

Shin on shin contact at full speed.

Dude, are you serious?

z7shysterical.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNi6nafLcsI

All I can say is: if you gotta put a TON of gear on,

just to play the sport, and survive in one piece,

it's DEFINITELY the TOUGHEST sport around.....

Hands down. confused13.gif yes.gif

I can't even count how many times I've seen player's

carted off the field, (over the course of 45 yrs I've

been watching pigskin), that I've seen paralized on

the field...a ton. Football is frickin' serious sh*t !!

...But it sure is fun watching games with a sixer of brew

and a pepperini and olives pizza on sunday!!!!! yes.gif

confused13.gif trink38.gif pizza.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974