• Like them both equally
    • Dislike them both equally

I like the song vs. song thingy so here goes:

Subdivisions over Big Money

Grand Designs over Analog Kid

Chemistry over Manhattan Project

Marathon slightly over Digital Man

The Weapon over Territories

New World Man over Middletown Dreams (that one was tough! two GREAT songs)

Emotion Detector over Losing It

Mystic Rythyms over Countdown

That would be a tie so...

Have to vote Signals by a skosh. I know PoW sounds fantastic but I really dig that dark, analog sound that surrounds Signals.

1022.gif

i gave the nod to power windows.. because of Marathon,, my fav 2.gif song,,, But i love Middletown Dreams and Emotion Detector ...I also think Geddy was at his best vocally during the POW AND HYF era

Signals is a great album,,, In fact i think Signals has had the most spins for me because of Analog Kid and Chemistry,,, great stuff,, its close for me

Losing it is a classic Song,, i love the tone and atmosphere of the song,,

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2012, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2012, 03:00 PM)
Signals by a bit of a margin, although I really enjoy PW a bunch.

Now that Digi has made his opinion known I can finally give this thread the treeduck stamp of approval...

Don't get cocky about it though... angry.gif

cool.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 6 2012, 09:18 AM)
Their two most revered MP albums????

Did I already mention that GUP is the best they ever did?
From these two, Signals. By a Swedish mile.

Hey, I like GUP more than both of these albums too (barely), but after being on this board for many a moon, it seems PoW and Signals are the two most liked post-MP albums by TRF members. GUP doesn't get many props. I posted a Signals v. GUP poll a year ago and Signals won handedly.

Subdivisions > The Big Money

The Analog Kid > Grand Designs

Manhattan Project > Chemistry

Marathon > Digital Man (this one was very close)

The Weapon > Territories

Middletown Dreams > New World Man

Losing It > Emotion Detector

Mystic Rhythms > Countdown

Signals - 4

Power Windows - 4

Even though I prefer the same amount of songs from each, Signals is still the best. Its my favorite Rush album.

I was going to say Signals by a mile. Then I went and listened to them both all the way through for the first time in ages. Wow was PoW a great album. But so was Signals. I'm still giving it to Signals but thats just because of nostalgia. Signals was released during my freshman year of high school.

Signals and Power Windows are equally tied in my book for various reasons.

However, if I had to choose one album between the two, it's Power Windows, because as the title implies, it's a very powerful album in a very wide range from various aspects.

Signals had the exact sentiment, albeit different intentions and topics, but the same general message I found was still clear and the same when compared between the two.

Perhaps the swing vote for me was Emotion Detector, which has a special place in my heart whenever I listen to this song.

Still, both albums are equally good.

POWER Windows. My name kinda gives away that I like it a lot wink.gif

song vs song

Big Money > Subdivisions

Grand Designs > The Analog Kid (though all biased aside, they're equal)

Chemistry > Manhattan Project

Marathon > Digital Man

The Weapon > Territories

Middletown Dreams > New World Man

Losing It > Emotion Detector

Mystic Rhythms > Countdown

5-3 for me.

I feel like PoW is just more consistent as an album, and having the theme of power sounds cool, as does all the powerful synth behind it. Signals sounds... dated to me wacko.gif I know, I know, shoot if you must. I've never been into New World Man (they threw it together in like 5 minutes and it's just way too simple and poppy for me) or Subdivisions (idk if people are attached to this song because it was relate able to them during the albums heyday or what. I'm 22 so Presto is older than me xD) but that isn't to say I love everything on PoW. Manhattan Project has just slipped away from me for some reason, and it really feels like it drags sometimes (on the album. ASoH is a different story. The buildings blowing up while Neil is banging away is f***ing awesome).

Top songs for me from both albums would be

Signals - Chemistry, Digital Man, The Weapon

Power Windows - Grand Designs, Marathon, Big Money

I see a lot of people saying they like the darker sound, which is weird since OP said nobody really liked GUP, which is definitely one of the darkest ones in their catalog (Red Sector A, After Image, Between the Wheels, etc.)

I was going to go on, but I feel like I'm ranting.

cheer.gif 2.gif cheer.gif

Power Windows by a song.

Signals , not close for me

Signals because it was my first Rush album and it made me a fan. I love all of the songs on it. It's my second fave album behind Hold Your Fire.

I like Power Windows as well, but it's further down my Rush fave list. Where Subdivisions is about kids living in the suburbs, Middletown Dreams, which is lyrically similar, is about rural folks (in my mind anyway).

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 11 2012, 11:32 PM)
Grace Under Pressure tops them both however

We agree on this one too!

I don't understand why fans rate albums track to track, ie., track 1 vs. track 1, and so on. This isn't an accurate measurement, because you might really like track 3 on album x and hate track 3 on album y, but like track 4 on album y slightly better than track 4 on album x. Its not mathematically accurate. Ok fellow geeks, you have to rank all the songs together and ascribe a descending point system.

Subdivisons 16.

Manhattan Project 15.

Marathon 14.

Analog Kid 13.

Mystic Rhythms 12.

Middle Town Dreams 11.

Territories 10.

The Big Money 9.

Digital Man 8.

Emotion Detector 7.

Chemistry 6.

New World Man 5.

Countdown 4.

Losing It 3.

Grand Designs 2

The Weapon 1.

Power Windows wins 81 to 56. I didn't have to do this first to know which one I liked better, but my nerdiness has called this into play when I've been on the fence with albums.

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth