Guitarists- what do you think of Alex's playing

jacob's ladder

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 28 2012, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 28 2012, 12:11 PM)
It's not his flashiest album, but for the most part, what he is playing is exactly what works in the songs.  My only complaint is that his solos are too short.  Not in the sense that I think every solo needs to be an extended, epic piece, but there are some where, to my ear at least, it almost sounds like he recorded a really awesome solo and then just decided to chop the second half off.

I second this!!!! yes.gif

yes.gif

need more alex, not less

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex has evolved into Jeff Beck's twin brother. Sometime's it's very interesting, but sometimes I want to hear a ripping solo ala' Headlong Flight

QUOTE (sammy @ Jun 28 2012, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 05:06 PM)

Nice to meet you sammy!

I'm 42 (already been divorced Once) and Re-married.....

Welcome, stick around and have some fun!

Thank you very much Sir - and the best of luck with the new chapter in your life biggrin.gif

Thanks, Yea The new one happens to like Rush (A Little) so I am truly lucky.

tongue.gif

trink39.gif

This thread has numerous wtf.gif moments. Alex is the man. No one can touch his emotional style. If I want to hear shredding, I'll put on Megadeth or some crap. Alex has never been a big shredder. I want soul from a guitar player, and no one can touch him.

Plus the man is the riffmaster. The 2112 Grand Finale in Clockwork Angels and Double Agent in Caravan speaks to me.

He shines on Clockwork Angels. Name me a guitar player 40 years into their career cranking it out like him

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 28 2012, 08:13 PM)
This thread has numerous wtf.gif moments. Alex is the man. No one can touch his emotional style. If I want to hear shredding, I'll put on Megadeth or some crap. Alex has never been a big shredder. I want soul from a guitar player, and no one can touch him.

Plus the man is the riffmaster. The 2112 Grand Finale in Clockwork Angels and Double Agent in Caravan speaks to me.

He shines on Clockwork Angels. Name me a guitar player 40 years into their career cranking it out like him

Your right. Sleep well.

Alex is fantastic on CA. The only thing is that he totally could have done more than the "ambient noise" solos like he did on Seven Cities of Gold, BU2B, and Carnies.

But at least we have got more Alex solos then on past albums. Caravan, CA, The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well, and The Garden all have great solos

I believe in a few aspects that record is a respectable representation of Alex over the years. Some of the more melodic solos (The Garden, etc...) are reminicent of his mid-late 80's solos. However when he shreds it sounds like on Headlong Flight we're back into songs like Working Man, La Villa.

My only "complaint" is that it seems some of the songs gain some great momentum, but then lose steam. Perhaps a good example is Clockwork Angels, the verse before the last chorus that moves to 6/8 (think of a jig) that moves into major. Just kind of...odd.

Still though, I think his work on the album is good.

For me, nothing will touch his solo in La Villa. I especially love his Exit...Stage Left version.

Although I definitely prefer the Alex from 77-87, I like a lot of his playing on CA.

The thing that shines brightest on CA are the songs themselves. I'm not necessarily as "wowed" by Neil's drumming or Alex's playing, like on past albums, but they serve the songs perfectly, and CA is a modern masterpiece because of it.

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 28 2012, 12:25 PM)
I find his playing great. Lots of arpeggios and suspended chords. All of it may not be as flashy as some of his past work but it's emotive. As a musician you want people to react to your music emotionally. Sadly a lot of guitarists try to get people, specifically other musicians tongue.gif, to react with envy by trying to play 900 MPH. I'm glad Alex doesn't feel the need for that.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I can't understand why some folks think that it's all about long solos or shredding. Yeah, that's part of the guitarist's role but a player who can only shred is teh suck, IMO. Alex is using all of his toolkit on CA: shredding, arpeggios, atmospheric, power chords, solos... Face it, Al is one of the best there is when you look at everything he can do. And that's the truth tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 28 2012, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (av450 @ Jun 28 2012, 04:56 PM)
His guitar work on CA shines through his riffs.  The opening riff in carnies is the best riff he's done since Ghost of a Chance IMO. 7COG also stands out.

carnies blows away ghost of a chance. 062802puke_prv.gif

no.gif

On this album they sound like regular stock rock riffs. Nothing really iconic sounding or anything like that. Most of it just sounds jammed out to me and not really slaved over to write amazing riffs.

There is not a single part on this album that sounds cool and iconic like 1:35 of Jacobs Ladder. He just doesnt write like that anymore, and it makes me look at this album like it's almost not even Rush, at least not the Rush I loved. They used to sound very unique, Alex played a big role in that, and now they sound kind of like any other rock band out there.

The playing itself is fine. I dont need him to be John Petrucci, Alex never was that technical, but I would like some more parts that sound like he didnt just jam them out for 5 minutes then go take a nap.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Jun 28 2012, 11:01 PM)
For me, nothing will touch his solo in La Villa.  I especially love his Exit...Stage Left version.

Although I definitely prefer the Alex from 77-87, I like a lot of his playing on CA.

The thing that shines brightest on CA are the songs themselves.  I'm not necessarily as "wowed" by Neil's drumming or Alex's playing, like on past albums, but they serve the songs perfectly, and CA is a modern masterpiece because of it.

His performance on La Villa from ESL was probably the most inspiring moment to touch me personally and truly launch my inner flame to be a guitarist/songwriter/musician.

I remember it well. I was 11 years old...I was at the curious fiddling stage after just getting into Rush with Moving Pictures. Then I bought ESL, dropped the needle and when I heard LA Villa (I had not yet reached back in the catalog past PW at this point) I was blown away. I begged my mom to buy me a Palmer Les Paul and a Peavy Backstage amp.....for months. She finally caved and my journey began.

That is IMO his pinnacle performance captured on record. Exit Stage Left IMO is the body of work from a band at the peak of their greatness. They were playing with laser precision, and sonically I prefer that sound they had between Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures more than any other approach.

Brilliance.

And I am sure I am one of millions of musicians that point to that period of Rush as the moment of inspiration to pursue our own musical journey.

Edited by Todem

I love the solo to La Villa. His best work. He really got away from that bluesy style of soloing, didn't he? I mean you have the really cool volume swells and things like that...but the meat of that solo is in the bending of the strings and it as a smokey, bluesly flavor to it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 29 2012, 07:53 AM)
I love the solo to La Villa. His best work. He really got away from that bluesy style of soloing, didn't he? I mean you have the really cool volume swells and things like that...but the meat of that solo is in the bending of the strings and it as a smokey, bluesly flavor to it.

Yeah. And the phrasing is just insane. When you hear how Kirk Hammet talked about this solo on BTLS it actually sent chills down my spine as that was exactly how I felt the first time I heard it and why I was so touched.

And you know that is my whole point about The Garden's solo. It did not touch me like dozens of solos he has done in the past have. Faithless...that solo touched me.

But back to La Villa. The half stepping swells...amazing. Just brilliant.

@ Trenken - Your being a little harsher but I can see some of your point. They are jamming a ton and their writing process for this album was more about taking jams and building the songs around the jams more than anything.

At this stage they are having a lot of fun and jamming more than they have in decades.

I love the new album though. I am hearing atmosphere, mood and getting such a great story. That is the Rush I remember most. The visual story telling. This is stuff we have not gotten in decades.

The music is different I agree. It is not like their absolute signature material. But IMO since Hold Your Fire....it's their best. It is better than

Presto - Snakes and Arrows (and I really love S&A).

That is a hell of an effort for 3 old farts wink.gif

While I like his playing in CA I haven't liked his"texturing", for lack of a better term, rhythm parts on the past few albums nor his sound since he started using H and K amps.

Aside from that its Alex. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (lightyears @ Jun 28 2012, 03:25 PM)
This is my first post.

I first got into Rush as a teenager (I'm in my mid-20s now), and i can remember the first time I heard the hits like TSOR, Limelight, 2112...i was struck by how easily Alex's playing fit with the song as a whole and how expressive his solos were, esp Limelight.

To the point of this post, as a weekend guitarist for about 9 years, I've tried to play almost every Rush song. There's nothing like cranking out the opening riff to Limelight, or trying to master La Villa Strangiato. It's a great feeling, and I think it really speaks to Alex's ability to create memorable and melodic lines.

That being said, while I enjoy and actively listen to their entire catalogue, i find that i rarely feel the urge to play any songs they've recorded in the last 15 years. IMO, Alex has drifted further from the more melodic lines he used to write. I think this also has to do with the general lack of crispness in his playing. Using space in a riff, and employing rhythm really help to create a specific mood for a song. So from my point of view as a guitarist, Alex's playing has been lacking this for some time.

I really hope everything I've said doesn't get blown out of proportion. I love Rush and Alex is one of my favorite guitarists.

Hey I hear yea. I feel the same.

I propose a different viewpoint though. (A reason for the dis-like)

You said 15 years. That brings us to Counter Parts , T4E , VT, SnA, and CA.

I propose Alex HAS been playing his arse off and Has been steady but the recording industry has killed many of the "great" things about Rush.

Won't go much further with this since there are already thread about this but I wanted you to know that the Boys IMO have never played better. Its the recording industry that has soured many of the important aspects that make Rush, "Rush".

I have always said, Starting with CP it has gone downhill.

That is pretty much when (Round 90-93) the recording industry thought it was a great Idea to begin its war on our ears.

People, really take a look. There is a very interesting correlation between when a lot of Rush Fans (such as lightyears and myself) found Rush really fall off a cliff Sonically wise and the timing of the Loudness wars......

Dont mean to nitpick. But 15 years ago was 1997. One year after T4E. I completely agree with you that CP featured some fine playing.

I've really had a hard time nailing down what's changed and when - it seems like the old Rush was 60% riff/40% rhythm, then there was the synth period, then I think Alex hit a great balance on CP (I think Cold Fire and Double Agent are brilliant), but now we're 40% riff and 60% rhythm. I noticed there's many times on CA where the bass is driving the song and the guitar is supporting (I swear it's the bass opening Halo with Alex on acoustic guitar backup, and the beginning of The Anarchist is heavy on bass, too). Not necessarily bad, but I just don't hear those opening slabs of guitar that punch you in the nose (Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Freewill) or complex things like the intro to Xanadu. I read where Alex said he thought CA was much more open than S&A, which had (he said) many layers of guitars, but I still hear a LOT of layers of guitars on CA, giving it a very heavy feel throughout. I was thinking this morning (as I was listening to it AGAIN!) that it feels like VT with better production - heavy, driving, intense, a little more riffage and, of course, some soloing.

I think on CA, the band has definitely sliced the pie into thirds (more percentages!), where they are sharing the load fairly equal. It's not a bad thing, but as a guitar player I always want to hear just a little more sing string magic!

Highlights for CA - the opening guitar effect on the title track - now that is just great. You don't even see it coming and there it is! I do like the beginning of the solo section of HLF - sounds very Adam Jones-ish. I think the arpeggiated (sp?) section of Wish Them Well really makes that song work - really opens it up and gives the song room to breathe. Too similar to Carve Away the Stone? Maybe I don't care because I like that song, too.

Hoping GP magazine does another cover story - it would be great to get some guitar-related insights into CA.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2012, 06:43 AM)
On this album they sound like regular stock rock riffs. Nothing really iconic sounding or anything like that. Most of it just sounds jammed out to me and not really slaved over to write amazing riffs.

There is not a single part on this album that sounds cool and iconic like 1:35 of Jacobs Ladder. He just doesnt write like that anymore, and it makes me look at this album like it's almost not even Rush, at least not the Rush I loved. They used to sound very unique, Alex played a big role in that, and now they sound kind of like any other rock band out there.

The playing itself is fine. I dont need him to be John Petrucci, Alex never was that technical, but I would like some more parts that sound like he didnt just jam them out for 5 minutes then go take a nap.

Yeah, it's too bad the legendary Alex Lifeson just can't come up with innovative guitar parts like trenken on his album that nobody's actually heard. eh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 29 2012, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2012, 06:43 AM)

Yeah, it's too bad the legendary Alex Lifeson just can't come up with innovative guitar parts like trenken on his album that nobody's actually heard. eh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

Maybe if Trenken finished some of those sentences with "...to my ear." Just because it doesn't sound cool or iconic to you doesn't mean it isn't to others.

And I know how difficult it is to write and record an album (see my sig) so take your time and good luck with it. We didn't set out with any kind of rules about what kind of chords we would use we just tried to write for the song. Sometimes we were successful, to our ear anyway, and sometimes not. Looking forward to hearing yours though Trenken. trink39.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 29 2012, 11:44 AM)
I like this Alex Lifeson, and his guitar work on CA. I believe he will have a promising career as a musician.

laugh.gif

even if his fingers look like sausages.

I'd give Alex's playing on CA an 8.5 out of 10. The riffs and most of the leads are tremendous, but his soloing, while still good, isn't as totally awesome as it used to be. It used to be, you could hum his solos to yourself, but not so much anymore.

And I agree with Todem about the solo in The Garden. It is a good solo, but considering the build-up to it, and how it started off with those first few notes, it should have been a monster, but it ended up being merely a nice solo. The younger Alex Lifeson would have destroyed us with that solo.

I love his playing on the album. However, with that said, it's nowhere near as skilled playing as earlier records, obviously. It's all pretty simple chord progressions and a lot of generic bar chords. But having said that, I think it compliments the overall music and songs perfectly.