Wish Them Well/Carve Away the Stone

xx2112xx

I enjoy the instrumental section, but the similarities between the verse/chorus make it feel too recycled for me.

Anyone else mirror these thoughts or am I just coo coo for cocoa puffs?

QUOTE (xx2112xx @ Jun 22 2012, 01:50 PM)
I enjoy the instrumental section, but the similarities between the verse/chorus make it feel too recycled for me.

Anyone else mirror these thoughts or am I just coo coo for cocoa puffs?

Thats the song I hear every time I listen.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 22 2012, 12:54 PM)
it's alot like CATS, except really good.

goodpost.gif

I don't see (hear) it.

"Wish Them Well" is one of my four favorite songs on CA, whereas "Carve Away the Stone" never did a thing for me.

Me too. Someone failed to mention the updated version of Half The World that appears on CA, and the other one that sounds like Virtuality, and Spindrift. Or the parts of Bastille Day in Headlong Flight. Lots rehashed, excuse me.. "revisited" ideas this time.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 22 2012, 03:36 PM)
Someone failed to mention... the parts of Bastille Day in Headlong Flight.

No, that got plenty of coverage, from the moment we first heard the 30-second clip of the opening.

It's brief, it's only in the opening, and it may have been an intentional nod by the band.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 22 2012, 03:36 PM)
Me too. Someone failed to mention the updated version of Half The World that appears on CA, and the other one that sounds like Virtuality, and Spindrift. Or the parts of Bastille Day in Headlong Flight. Lots rehashed, excuse me.. "revisited" ideas this time.

I barely hear Half The World, dont at all hear Virtuality or Spindrift, and Bastile Day like Opening riff on HF was acknowledged as a nostalgic nod. Rest of the album sounds quite original, except for the 2112/COS throwback in the title song.

definitely hear the "Carve Away the Stone" similarity in the chorus sections. The solo is vastly better on Wish Them Well. However, I would still say WTW is my least favorite track on CA. The arrangement seems a little half-baked to me. Particularly don't care for the middle 8 ("The ones who've done you wrong...") and don't like the high background echo ("Wish them well....") I would say that WTW is the only song on CA that I have real criticisms for... CatS always seemed like a filler track on TFE (among a couple others...) and a particularly weak closing song. All that said, I still find Rush "filler" interesting as they are in themselves little experiments. The lyrics in both tracks are pretty good.

Yes, I heard that right away but since 1) it's not exact and 2) I like CATS, it didn't bother me.

The nod to Bastille Day on HF was deliberate, according to Alex.