Best Guitar Solo

rushfan27

Which CA song has the best guitar solo?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which CA song has the best guitar solo?

• caravan
    • bu2b
    • clockwork angels
    • anarchist
    • carnies
    • halo effect
    • seven cities of gold
    • wreckers
    • headlong flight
    • wish them well
    • garden

The Garden. Very emotional. Love it. Really fits in well with the context of the song. Doesn't feel like the obligatory - let's throw in a guitar solo here.

The Garden since it sounds so much like Gilmour, wait a minute f*** Gilmour! I'm a Lifeson man! Actually I like PT more...

Garden

Headlong Flight

Clockwork Angels

I'm so glad about how the soli turned out on the album. ohmy.gif

Headlong Flight, has the Rockin Cygnus X1 feel to it. Os as Losingit2k said "Working Man" feel. Anyways it rocks and its way over the top in epicness. I have a feeling when this is played live, that solo is screech, and cry, and make people's ears bleed, and maybe throw in a part of the Bytor solo in there too.

It will be epic, cause Alex Lifeson is Epic AlexFinal.gif

Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist is the Alex we have had not heard since Counterparts as far as solo sections go.

I also harken back to the Grace Under Pressure/Power Windows solo phrasing as well on those rwo sick tracks.

Alex kills it on those two songs IMO.

Headlong Flight is a killer solo in the Working Man tradition.

Seven Cities of Gold has some sick half stepping, delays, killer feel.

Lot's of good stuff solo wise from Alex on CA.

So my aboslute fav's are the first two songs I mentioned.

It's quite clear for me that Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist are my top two cuts on the album overall as well no question.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 22 2012, 10:43 AM)
Title track with The Anarchist as a close second.

We sure think alike on this record!

Wow, I didn't notice that 10/12 of these songs have guitar solos, I thought it was around half.

I guess it's time I'd better listen through this album again.

I'll determine my favorite solo in a few days I guess smile.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 22 2012, 11:35 PM)

Seems so! trink39.gif I'm a bit less down on the sound, but we're certainly on the same ball field here. (And that's NOT why I enjoy your posts either, just to be clear). biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 23 2012, 02:20 AM)
Wow, I didn't notice that 10/12 of these songs have guitar solos, I thought it was around half.

It's been a welcome return.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 23 2012, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 22 2012, 11:35 PM)

Seems so! trink39.gif I'm a bit less down on the sound, but we're certainly on the same ball field here. (And that's NOT why I enjoy your posts either, just to be clear). biggrin.gif

I have actually come around more and more to the production. I was not very down on it to begin with...but felt there were a few mis-steps and it was mostly with Neils sonics on the album being buried in the mix.

The mood of this album screams 80's Rush.

its funny coz a lot of the things regarded as solos on this album dont really have the feel of solos to me, more like Al doin his funky sound effect things i personally luv so much, just some of them too incidental and arent long enough which is a shame maybe... or maybe not, maybe they just right. Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 23 2012, 12:20 AM)

The reason I didn't remember must be because about half of them are uneventful and just put in there to shut people. The three note let-ring divebomb solo of 7cog is just bad sad.gif

Well, the garden wins in my book

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 23 2012, 08:32 AM)
Caravan is a very interesting and badass solo. It's easy to overlook this one because it doesn't have the 'new car smell,' so to speak, of the newer tracks, but it has staying power for me.

A very Andy Summers like moment. Think Driven to Tears.

Very cool solo by both Alex on Caravan and Andy on Driven to Tears.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:26 PM)
There's no guitar solo that really jumps out at me enough to want to judge to be honest...

While I enjoy all the solos...a couple are true stand outs and will be long remembered over time IMO. While the others are kinda there and serve the song well.

Clockwork Angels and The Anachist are just really good. Superbly played and very much sounding like they were off the cuff one take gems. Same with HF. Those three are big time.

I love the 80's feel of The Anachist and CA....classic early 80's Alex through and through.

The Garden while dramatic.....Alex has been here before and has done it better on songs like Limelight, Animate and Faithless. It is a heck of a nice solo....but it also is trademarky in the way it's played. Can't really explain it. Basically...been there done that a bunch already.

Caravan is something he rarely does. A wacky out of the ordinary approach. Kinda like Kid Gloves (but not nearly as masterful) in that whacked out begining.

Carnies is a cool sound scape solo. Subtle yet highly effective.

Wish Them Well is a jam session. Solid.

Halo Effect - is just classy, serves the song well and is perfect. But nothing exceptional.

Seven Cities of Gold - very cool stuff going on. I love when Alex goes into dream land and let's his effects and whammy bar go off. A solid solo section as well as phrasing underneath Geddy's furious bass line runs which fill the song.

Headlong Flight is a great solo. Easisly one of the very best of the album and a very nice throw back to By Tor and Snow Dog and early Rush. Alex totally pulled that off in one take....it was a moment.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 26 2012, 02:36 PM)
There's no guitar solo that really jumps out at me enough to want to judge to be honest...

While I enjoy all the solos...a couple are true stand outs and will be long remembered over time IMO. While the others are kinda there and serve the song well.

Clockwork Angels and The Anachist are just really good. Superbly played and very much sounding like they were off the cuff one take gems. Same with HF. Those three are big time.

The Garden while dramatic.....Alex has been here before and has done it better on songs like Limelight, Animate and Faithless. It is a heck of a nice solo....but it also is trademarky in the way it's played. Can't really explain it. Basically...been there done that a bunch already.

Caravan is something he rarely does. A wacky out of the ordinary approach. Kinda like Kid Gloves (but not nearly as masterful) in that whacked out begining.

Halo Effect - is just classy, serves the song well and is perfect. But nothing exceptional.

Headlong Flight is a great solo. Easisly one of the very best of the album and a very nice throw back to By Tor and Snow Dog and early Rush. Alex totally pulled that off in one take....it was a moment.

Compared to Alex's solos back in the day there's nothing to speak of...

And compared to a lot of stuff that's being produced by top guitar players today there's nothing to speak of.

Alex is not really a guitar solo merchant these days...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 26 2012, 02:36 PM)

Compared to Alex's solos back in the day there's nothing to speak of...

And compared to a lot of stuff that's being produced by top guitar players today there's nothing to speak of.

Alex is not really a guitar solo merchant these days...

Alex's solo have always been about emotion and not technique or technical prowess.

To me his very best solo's are pure raw emotion and an extension of the melody of the song. I think he does that well on CA. Snake and Arrows had a couple of great ones (Faithless, TMMB and Faithless).

His last true amazing solos for me were Ghost of a Chance, Bravado and Animate. Those are signature Alex Lifeson.