Queensryche

Rushman14

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 2 2012, 11:12 AM)
Queensryhce is dead. They officially died for me with their last release (Dedicated to Chaos) and tour.

I saw a band that was dead on stage.

I have loved most of their work. Even Tribe, and American Solider for me were very solid albums. OMII was decent. Nothing great, but decent. That tour was awesome.

I had the opportunity to meet the band and have about 45 minutes with them just talking and bullshiting back stage before the official fan after show. All of them were gracious, relaxed and social. Yes even Geoff Tate. He was more reserved than Wilton and Rockenfeld but pleasent and willing to talk and laugh. Mike Stone was a very cool guy. We were drinking red wine and laughing about some mis-haps during the show.

The band overall were great hosts. So I never experienced the dick head Tate. Just a cool relaxed guy.

He and De-Garmo have written some of the best concept metal/rock ever. Their music will live on for generations. My son is a monster Mindcrime fan. It is a shame I will never be able to take him to a live QR show.

I think this was the last nail in the coffin. And I understand Tate took over the band more or less and their last record to my wars was a Tate solo record.

Things have not been the same since Hear in the Now Frontier which for me was their last super solid release top to bottom as it was the last true Degarmo record as well.

Tribe was a great return to form after the awful QR2K , then MCII came out which has some good material and imo American Solider was a powerful record. Not their best or near their best but it has some great moments. At 30,000 feet, If I Were King, Man Down, Hundread Mile Stare, Dead Mans Words, The Killer, Middle of Hell.

And I have to say that Home Again really touched me big time. It brought some tears to my eyes thinking about our kids over seas and their kids waiting for them at home as Tates daughter sang her words. A very touching song IMO.

Soilder was a good album. And overlooked by so many Ryche fans IMO.

Anyway it is sad the band is no more.

Lot's of great memories of shows, meeting up with the band and watching them grow and mature into great players and some outstanding, legendary music.

Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land
5) Hear in the Now Frontier

I feel the same as you. A lot of QR's later records are pretty solid overall and don't deserve all the hate that they get. Even Q2K and DTC have a few tracks I enjoy. I've met the band a few times as well and Tate was very hospitable when I talked to him. He noticed my Rush shirt and commented on how good a band they are.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 2 2012, 09:12 AM)
Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land

I would pick Warning over Promised Land, and definitely over HITNF.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 3 2012, 04:49 PM)
Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land

... and definitely over Empire.

Nothing comes close to the other two - Rage was one of the boldest statements in 80s metal, and Mindcrime was, well, is, Mindcrime. Mind blowing. For me, they started their downward spiral with Empire. Promised Land and everyrthing after that is absolutely negligible. I do like two or three Now Frontier and American Soldier tunes, but that's nothing compared to old glory. So ... with or without Tate, it's over. Thanks for three brilliant records and a few more nicve songs.

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 5 2012, 05:08 PM)
Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land

Nothing comes close to the other two - Rage was one of the boldest statements in 80s metal, and Mindcrime was, well, is, Mindcrime. Mind blowing. For me, they started their downward spiral with Empire. Promised Land and everyrthing after that is absolutely negligible. I do like two or three Now Frontier and American Soldier tunes, but that's nothing compared to old glory. So ... with or without Tate, it's over. Thanks for three brilliant records and a few more nicve songs.

See, I find Empire and Promised Land to be just as brilliant as Rage. But that's my taste for ya. Mindcrime is alone at the top for me.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jul 6 2012, 04:53 AM)
Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land

See, I find Empire and Promised Land to be just as brilliant as Rage. But that's my taste for ya. Mindcrime is alone at the top for me.

Really? But on Rage, they did a few things you hadn't heard from any other (metal) band before. Empire was a rather well done pop-metal record (which couldn't be as great as its predecessor, but what could have been?), and Promised Land mainly repeated the Empire formula. That's why I don't dig that one. But songs like "Neue Regel" or "Walk in the Shadows" are still standout tracks in the history of 80s rock for me - as is that brilliant cover version of "Gonna Get Close To You". And "Roads to Madness", of course ...

I love Rage For Order as well. My top 3 are set in stone.

Empire was a brilliant pop metal record and their song writing coupled with Peter Collins outstanding production gave us a great set of songs top to bottom.

I like The Warning. But it is dated. really dated. Some great classics on their, but for me it does not stand up the maturity and precise playing on both Empire and Promised Land.

I have a fond place for Hear in the Now Frontier. I think there are a chock full of great songs on that one. The production went in the more 90's dry direction and I think that hindered the record and kept it from being as good as it could have been. But I love the dynamic mix of songs on that record.

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 6 2012, 07:46 AM)
Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land

Really? But on Rage, they did a few things you hadn't heard from any other (metal) band before. Empire was a rather well done pop-metal record (which couldn't be as great as its predecessor, but what could have been?), and Promised Land mainly repeated the Empire formula. That's why I don't dig that one. But songs like "Neue Regel" or "Walk in the Shadows" are still standout tracks in the history of 80s rock for me - as is that brilliant cover version of "Gonna Get Close To You". And "Roads to Madness", of course ...

I agree that Rage is ridiculously good. I'm just saying that post-Mindcrime, QR had set an insanely high bar for itself. But when I listen to Empire and Promised Land, they sound really fresh and have amazing songwriting. Even in the Promised Land liner notes, they talked about how much tension was in the band at the time and how hard it was to record that album. I guess it just makes me appreciate it more because of how well it turned out.

They're all great records of their time and that's why I love that period of QR so much.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jul 6 2012, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jul 6 2012, 07:46 AM)
Top 5 records for me

1) Operation Mind Crime
2) Empire
3) Rage For Order
4) Promised Land

I agree that Rage is ridiculously good. I'm just saying that post-Mindcrime, QR had set an insanely high bar for itself. But when I listen to Empire and Promised Land, they sound really fresh and have amazing songwriting. Even in the Promised Land liner notes, they talked about how much tension was in the band at the time and how hard it was to record that album. I guess it just makes me appreciate it more because of how well it turned out.

They're all great records of their time and that's why I love that period of QR so much.

I really had to listen to Promised Land again (for the first time in, say, ten years) - and you're right in many aspects. Some songs (especially during the first half) are well wrought, and it doesn't sound as dated as I thought it sounded in the 90s. It may be crucial when you were introduced to the band. My initiation was Warning, and that's why it stood the test of time pretty well for me. It may sound dated in 2012, but which 80s metal album doesn't? Number of the Beast, Defenders of the Faith, Fair Warning, Balls to the Wall, Ride the Lightning etc. - they all would sound different, were they produced today (thank God they aren't). So would Rage, Mindcrime and Empire. But they're all classics in their own right.

I may give Hear in the Now Frontier another spin now ... haven't REALLY listened to it for ages ...

Edited by barchetta90480

Let it begin...

Scott Rockenfield's account of the QR timeline...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode...wsitemID=176573

And, Michael Wilton's account...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode...wsitemID=176587

Can't wait to hear Tate dispute all these claims.

Blabbermouth just posted the legal statment by the band in responce to Tate's suit. (sorry for no like cannot copy and paste from my phone)...it is very telling, and makes Tate off to look like a complete dick. Apparently Tate tried to option an Operation Mindcrime film without his bandmates consent or knowledge...

The musical dirction causing depleting album sales and recieving poor reviews was obvious to anyone with ears....the band will be better off without Tate

EDIT TO ADD: posted this at the same time as the post above, sorry for redundacy

Edited by The Owl

Tate is fu*ked . The rest of the band has e-mails and hard drives and video to prove their point. Tate does not want to sing the old songs because he Can't . Enjoy your wine asshole laugh.gif How can he say it's his band when he was not even in on the writing for the E.P.? Edited by metaldad

Actually, anybody wanting to read them all, here's a link containing the lawsuit documents of everyone's statements...

http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownr...hp?topic=2906.0

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 11 2012, 08:54 AM)
Tate is fu*ked . The rest of the band has e-mails and hard drives and video to prove their point. Tate does not want to sing the old songs because he Can't . Enjoy your wine asshole laugh.gif How can he say it's his band when he was not even in on the writing for the E.P.?

He's got L.S.D., Metaldad. Lead Singer Disease: Controlling, manipulative, sneaky, untruthful douchebag. I believe Rockenfield. I'm sure Tate has some bullshit excuse like "those guys new stuff sux" or something to that effect. PRobably a few lies to add to it.

Sounds like Tate was completely out of control and the band was MORE than patient with Geoffrey.

Good luck paying your bills, Tate. Might wanna downsize that crib at this point until you can find other musicians to ride the coat tails of...

Tate is a f***ing lunatic. Total f***ing nut bar.

I believe Scott, Michael and Eddie no question.

Amazing what happened to this once awesome band.

@Treeduck - yeah to my ears The Warning sounds dated...has not held up well sonically. I still love the songs. Other 80's metal albums like Number of the Beast, Holy Diver still sound amazing to me. But The Warning is not on those albums level overall.

Anyway does not matter. This band is total history.

After reading this I hope they perform all of Mindcrime again so I can take my son....he will not care if it is not Tate singing. He loves the music period.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 11 2012, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 11 2012, 08:54 AM)
Tate is fu*ked . The rest of the band has e-mails and hard drives and video to prove their point. Tate does not want to sing the old songs because he Can't . Enjoy your wine asshole laugh.gif How can he say it's his band when he was not even in on the writing for the E.P.?

He's got L.S.D., Metaldad. Lead Singer Disease: Controlling, manipulative, sneaky, untruthful douchebag. I believe Rockenfield. I'm sure Tate has some bullshit excuse like "those guys new stuff sux" or something to that effect. PRobably a few lies to add to it.

Sounds like Tate was completely out of control and the band was MORE than patient with Geoffrey.

Good luck paying your bills, Tate. Might wanna downsize that crib at this point until you can find other musicians to ride the coat tails of...

Yeah, i know all about LSD laugh.gif Had a few in my time. He is just flat out nuts and in no way, shape or form does he get to use that name . He was fired from his job, you don't get to keep your job's name laugh.gif

I love the part about not trusting Ray Danniels for management. Because, you know, Rush isn't a class act and a model for career longetivity or anything...

I mean, isn't it easy to imagine Geddy knocking over Neil's drumkit and calling Alex a "pu$$y" and "motherf&%$er" while spitting in his face twenty minutes before the live curtain goes up?

In his Rolling Stone interview Tate acted so confused over why the band was pushing him out. What a joke. Even if the Rockenfield and Wilton accounts are biased and exaggerated in any respect Tate was clearly way out of line. I haven't cared about this band since Empire, but I was intrigued by this story. When I was 14 I caught them on the Empire tour and got to go backstage to meet the band, sans Tate, who wasn't there.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 11 2012, 02:23 PM)
I love the part about not trusting Ray Danniels for management. Because, you know, Rush isn't a class act and a model for career longetivity or anything...

I mean, isn't it easy to imagine Geddy knocking over Neil's drumkit and calling Alex a "pu$$y" and "motherf&%$er" while spitting in his face twenty minutes before the live curtain goes up?

In his Rolling Stone interview Tate acted so confused over why the band was pushing him out. What a joke. Even if the Rockenfield and Wilton accounts are biased and exaggerated in any respect Tate was clearly way out of line. I haven't cared about this band since Empire, but I was intrigued by this story. When I was 14 I caught them on the Empire tour and got to go backstage to meet the band, sans Tate, who wasn't there.

I do have to say that while Michael Wilton's declaration and Scott's were very moving and sound very clear and it sounds like they did everything possible to keep Geoff, but the bit about Ray Danniels I can understand. Ray screwed Van Halen so bad I could see not trusting him. Not saying anything negative about Ray's devotion to Rush and all his hard work he's done for them but Ray set Van Halen up for a Tour of no profits when they should have netted millions of dollars. It's a cut throat business, so cut throat even the van halen brothers fell for Ray's management style which, in hindsight, seems like a bonehead move.

With that said, I'm bummed Tate will have likely a more lucrative career than QR, but at least they will be able to make a living doing what they love, and maybe even climb the charts again. Who knows...

On one final note, these true hollywood stories give me a sense of contentment that maybe in the grand scheme of things I was better off and am still better off having a day job and playing the drums for fun and extra spending cash. To exist in a band like QR for years on end, i think i would have gone completely nuts having to work in a band that was once a titanic, now just a life raft barely floating. That would suck really, really bad to watch all you worked for that once flourished go down the tubes in the name of one selfish and greedy band member.

There's no "I" in Team, kids.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 11 2012, 02:00 PM)
Tate is a f***ing lunatic. Total f***ing nut bar.

I believe Scott, Michael and Eddie no question.

Amazing what happened to this once awesome band.

@Treeduck - yeah to my ears The Warning sounds dated...has not held up well sonically. I still love the songs. Other 80's metal albums like Number of the Beast, Holy Diver still sound amazing to me. But The Warning is not on those albums level overall.

Anyway does not matter. This band is total history.

After reading this I hope they perform all of Mindcrime again so I can take my son....he will not care if it is not Tate singing. He loves the music period.

The Warning sounds great, you did a wax removal maybe? confused13.gif

Sounds like a Queensryche Priest album to me!

1022.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 11 2012, 03:35 PM)

I do have to say that while Michael Wilton's declaration and Scott's were very moving and sound very clear and it sounds like they did everything possible to keep Geoff, but the bit about Ray Danniels I can understand. Ray screwed Van Halen so bad I could see not trusting him. Not saying anything negative about Ray's devotion to Rush and all his hard work he's done for them but Ray set Van Halen up for a Tour of no profits when they should have netted millions of dollars. It's a cut throat business, so cut throat even the van halen brothers fell for Ray's management style which, in hindsight, seems like a bonehead move.

With that said, I'm bummed Tate will have likely a more lucrative career than QR, but at least they will be able to make a living doing what they love, and maybe even climb the charts again. Who knows...

On one final note, these true hollywood stories give me a sense of contentment that maybe in the grand scheme of things I was better off and am still better off having a day job and playing the drums for fun and extra spending cash. To exist in a band like QR for years on end, i think i would have gone completely nuts having to work in a band that was once a titanic, now just a life raft barely floating. That would suck really, really bad to watch all you worked for that once flourished go down the tubes in the name of one selfish and greedy band member.

I didn't know that about Ray Danniels. My only real awareness of him stems from his management of Rush. Thank you for your insight.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 11 2012, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 11 2012, 03:35 PM)

I didn't know that about Ray Danniels. My only real awareness of him stems from his management of Rush. Thank you for your insight.

You're welcome. I got to talk on the phone w rockenfield when he had an ebay ad of kits to promote his company rockenwaps. He posted a pic of me on his site along with other drummers indy or national pros. He seemed like a pretty genuine guy, ambitious and creative. I really dont hardly know him but just doesnt strike me as someone who would invent his timeline. I believe him.