Favorite lines?

Lost In Xanadu

I love these, put them up there with "we're only immortal for a limited time" , "life is just a candle and a dream must give it flame" , "you don't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes, no matter what your dreams might be"

"Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers"

"The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect, so hard to earn, so easily burned"

Can't trust her with cheese let alone your keys.

With friends like her you don't need enemies

-Friends-Whodini

"All I know is that sometimes you have to be weary of a miracle too good to be true. All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary to everything you thought you knew."

"It is what it is, and whatever."

"Thank your stars you're not that way. Turn your back and walk away. Don't even pause and ask them why. Turn around and say goodbye."

I like the evocative imagery of some of Caravan's lines. For example:

In a world lit only by fire

A long train of flares under piercing stars

I stand watching the steamliners roll by

And:

The caravan thunders onward

Stars winking through the canvas hood

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 13 2012, 05:29 PM)
"All I know is that sometimes you have to be weary of a miracle too good to be true. All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary to everything you thought you knew."

"Thank your stars you're not that way. Turn your back and walk away. Don't even pause and ask them why. Turn around and say goodbye."

I love all of these. Yes, even the "It is what it is...and whatever". Love it. Some fans are pulling their hair out over this one. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 13 2012, 05:57 PM)

I love all of these. Yes, even the "It is what it is...and whatever". Love it. Some fans are pulling their hair out over this one. tongue.gif

I don't mind the use of it, but when talking to someone... The use of "it is what it is" makes me think less of them, especially when discuss solutions to a problem.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 13 2012, 06:32 PM)

I don't mind the use of it, but when talking to someone... The use of "it is what it is" makes me think less of them, especially when discuss solutions to a problem.

I've used it. Strikes me as very casual and conversational. Hey, you know...when it all comes down to it, it is what it is. Whatever. Shit, we act like it's high brow conversation around here...people misspelling their, there, they're.

Oh and this is the band that decided to become Prince and call a song BU2B, so....

wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 13 2012, 06:42 PM)

I've used it. Strikes me as very casual and conversational. Hey, you know...when it all comes down to it, it is what it is. Whatever. Shit, we act like it's high brow conversation around here...people misspelling their, there, they're.

Oh and this is the band that decided to become Prince and call a song BU2B, so....

wink.gif

I was talking about in the work environment. Too many people I work with, use it to mean "I've done all can do, and I don't want to try any harder. Like...

This application isn't working for the customer.

Well, it is what it is

Thanks for ALL your help

biggrin.gif

Neils most visual stuff since MP/Signals.

Hands down.

Edited by Todem

I really love the closing line from the album... very inspiring

"The Future disappears into memory

with only a moment in between

forever dwells within that moment

hope is what remains to be seen"

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 13 2012, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 13 2012, 06:42 PM)

wink.gif

I was talking about in the work environment. Too many people I work with, use it to mean "I've done all can do, and I don't want to try any harder. Like...

This application isn't working for the customer.

Well, it is what it is

Thanks for ALL your help

biggrin.gif

Getting too analytical here; but sometimes "It is what it is, and whatever" is a good way to say that inaction is the best way to solve the problem. Sometimes- no, often- our vigilance stands in the way of problems solving themselves.

Edited by KenJennings

The one that's been standing out for me is "In a world of cut and thrust, I was always taught to trust".

And basically all of "Clockwork Angels" (the song).

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 13 2012, 04:56 PM)

"Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers"

Not quite so original though. This is reinterpreted "Be careful what you wish for. It might come true", IMO.

yes.gif