The Onset of Technology

losingit2k

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 13 2012, 10:59 AM)
I don't understand what the issue is with people wanting great songs to sound their best?

Maybe I'm missing something here...  wacko.gif

everyone should be able to express their opinion, as long as they're not being trollish about it.

Edited by Rushman14

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, that everyone has an opinion. everyone percieves things differently. Some people access perceptions through hearing more than others. I am sure that is probably what led them to their expertise on the issues they are finding.

I am definately more visual, as are most people and their perceptions are likely to be different and most would need the problems pointed out. I know I did, and still don't understand their complaints, and I spend a lot of money on car and home stereo equipment to listen to music on.

I've only listened to the new stuff about 5 complete run throughs, and I can honestly say something like this never even occcured to me. I think it sounds fantastic. I mean, there is literally "so fcking much" to take in, between songs and lyrics and sound, I can't even imagine focusing on subtle issues like that at this point, if ever.

If you really don't like, that's okay. I Wish you Well.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 13 2012, 12:59 PM)
I don't understand what the issue is with people wanting great songs to sound their best?

Maybe I'm missing something here... wacko.gif

Yeah, you're missing the brilliance that is Clockwork Angels.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 12:55 PM)
Is it possible to love the album but wish it sounded better?

yes.gif

Maybe I'm missing something here... wacko.gif

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with voicing an opinion on a message board.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 02:08 PM)

Yeah, you're missing the brilliance that is Clockwork Angels.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I dunno who exactly you're speaking to...but I don't think anyone is missing the "brilliance" of the album.

You've been jumping down people's throats if anything even the slightest bit negative is mentioned, even if it's in a constructive manner backed up with their reasons.

Also, do you even pay attention to who is saying what?

Most of the people here that have mentioned some of these sound issues and such have also CLEARLY stated (on multiple threads) that they are loving the album, and are huge fans of the songs themselves.

I'm as big a Rush fanboi as there is on this board, but you're making me look like Gemini these days. confused13.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 13 2012, 01:11 PM)

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with voicing an opinion on a message board.

There isn't! But some people (going purely by poll votes) that think just minor problems in an album are somewhat ruining their experience. IMO, that's kind exaggerating a problem. Even VT was fine with me. The mix wasn't bad but you can't let that take away from a musical experience as much as some people do. It's probably top 10 of my most listened albums. tongue.gif

yes.gif

No there isn't snowdog. It the manner that some may attend to that opinion. We all know that this album is far from being:

Mediocre, dreadful, uninspiring, or (my favorite) a sonic mess!

It's far from any of those, all I can say is that:

I thank my stars I'm not like that, I Wish them well!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Isn't a Sonic Mess what a Headgehog leaves at your doorstep?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 12:14 PM)
We used to listen to RUSH for their musicianship, their composition, their lyrics, their passion towards playing. Now it seems we care more about the sound and quality of the recording than the recording itself. Rush has handed us one of the best albums since the early 80's and we seemed more consumed about the mixing and mastering of the project than the project itself. Give yourself a break from yourselves and allow yourself to soak in the brilliance of this album! It has so much more to offer other than the sound. Which isn't all that bad at all!

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

I understand the sentiment here and generally agree.

However, the poor sound quality does significantly effect my enjoyment of the quality stuff they have come up with this time. I can't hear the parts I want and need to hear. I find it frustrating to listen to in so many spots. Can't do anything about it but complain. I'm sure the songs will kill live.

If anything, I think it's sad that people don't care about it. I mean you are right - it is about the music. So why are we listening to a crappier version of what was actually recorded?

Hello, ever listen to casssette tapes (I may be showing my age here) wink.gif ? Talk about a crappier version than the version that was actually recorded. Yet, did we bitch about them? I didn't. It was what is was. Even the original makers of the CD made a point of mentioning that CDs have limitations to the source material. So, it's six of one a half dozen of another. Now mastering gets involved. Again, it is what it is. I appreciate all the opinions, but really, the 'loudness wars" have been going on for years. You really think us complaining about it is going to change that (Vapor Trails aside - because I hear that is getting a complete remix)? 1022.gif

Just saying - enjoy what you have, because it's probably all you'll get! I mean all this loudness stuff is just beathorse.gif

2.gif

T

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 01:19 PM)

yes.gif

No there isn't snowdog. It the manner that some may attend to that opinion. We all know that this album is far from being:

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Isn't a Sonic Mess what a Headgehog leaves at your doorstep?

confused13.gif

In your opinion.

In my opinion, I think they could have done a better job on mixing it. Nuf said. It's stupid to tell someone what their opinion should be. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 01:15 PM)
So why are we listening to a crappier version of what was actually recorded?

How do you KNOW that this statement is true?

Again, I cannot see how such a statement is not 100% conjecture. Many seem to be imagining this perfect mix exists, when it's entirely conceivable that it does not.

And I agree 100% with the OP: this album is the best Rush album in at least 25 years, I don't give a damn what the trolls think. They put it all together (finally) in this offering.

Soak it in people, this is greatness on display. yes.gif

So a troll is someone who doesn't think CA is a perfect 10 across the board in songwriting and sonics?

Grow up.

And there could very well have been a better mix unless the recording engineers are incompetent too, which I doubt. The existence of better sounding production tells me that it could have been possible with this record.

Oh I'm sorry, I need to grow up?

The album has been officially out not even 2 days, and rather than enjoying what we've been waiting for 5 years for, the audiophiles are ready to throw it in the trash because it doesn't "sound right" whatever the hell that means.

I'm sorry my obervations and questions offend your sensiblities. Maybe if you and your ilk would focus on addressing the observations and answering the questions asked, you'd have better success. I still contend that there is no perfect mix out there.

And the only way you're going to be able to experience perfection is to see them live. Unless you're in to criticizing thir amplifier selection, I don't know.

But what do I know, I need to grow up. eh.gif

OR.....maybe the one who REALLY needs to grow up is the one who runs out debate material and resorts to telling other people to grow up.

Food for thought.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 01:31 PM)
If you read my past posts, I'm not a troll.

If you can find one post where I said "Mr. Henry Gale is a troll" I'll apologize.

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to turn down the sensitivity meter. It tends to ruin good discussion/debate.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 01:57 PM)
I don't think it's that people don't care about it...it's not that at all. It's that the production really isn't bad at all. Yet some people lead you to believe it's a muddy and unlistenable mess. Which is not the case.

As I've posted elsewhere, I think the sound is fine. What the OP is trying to get across is not to be consumed by details like these, especially when they are minor by comparison.

Personally, I wish everything were mixed the way 2112 - p/g were mixed. However, things change, things are completely different these days. Many things are for the better and many are not.

Enjoy what RUSH and company have produced or let minor details ruin it for you. One thing is certain, they won't be producing forever.

trink39.gif

Home run post. Sums it up nicely for me.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 01:33 PM)
I don't think it's that people don't care about it...it's not that at all.  It's that the production really isn't bad at all.  Yet some people lead you to believe it's a muddy and unlistenable mess.  Which is not the case.

As I've posted elsewhere, I think the sound is fine.  What the OP is trying to get across is not to be consumed by details like these, especially when they are minor by comparison.

Personally, I wish everything were mixed the way 2112 - p/g were mixed.  However, things change, things are completely different these days.  Many things are for the better and many are not.

Enjoy what RUSH and company have produced or let minor details ruin it for you.  One thing is certain, they won't be producing forever.

trink39.gif

Agreed. goodpost.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 02:19 PM)
We all know that this album is far from being:

I don't get it either. Clockwork Angels is brilliant and well worth the wait.

But I guess some people can win a million dollars, and then complain about how it's all in one dollar bills. wtf.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 01:33 PM)
I don't think it's that people don't care about it...it's not that at all.  It's that the production really isn't bad at all.  Yet some people lead you to believe it's a muddy and unlistenable mess.  Which is not the case.

As I've posted elsewhere, I think the sound is fine.  What the OP is trying to get across is not to be consumed by details like these, especially when they are minor by comparison.

Personally, I wish everything were mixed the way 2112 - p/g were mixed.  However, things change, things are completely different these days.  Many things are for the better and many are not.

Enjoy what RUSH and company have produced or let minor details ruin it for you.  One thing is certain, they won't be producing forever.

trink39.gif

Me too yes.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 01:15 PM)
So why are we listening to a crappier version of what was actually recorded?

How do you KNOW that this statement is true?

Again, I cannot see how such a statement is not 100% conjecture. Many seem to be imagining this perfect mix exists, when it's entirely conceivable that it does not.

And I agree 100% with the OP: this album is the best Rush album in at least 25 years, I don't give a damn what the trolls think. They put it all together (finally) in this offering.

Soak it in people, this is greatness on display. yes.gif

So a troll is someone who doesn't think CA is a perfect 10 across the board in songwriting and sonics?

Grow up.

And there could very well have been a better mix unless the recording engineers are incompetent too, which I doubt. The existence of better sounding production tells me that it could have been possible with this record.

Oh I'm sorry, I need to grow up?

The album has been officially out not even 2 days, and rather than enjoying what we've been waiting for 5 years for, the audiophiles are ready to throw it in the trash because it doesn't "sound right" whatever the hell that means.

I'm sorry my obervations and questions offend your sensiblities. Maybe if you and your ilk would focus on addressing the observations and answering the questions asked, you'd have better success. I still contend that there is no perfect mix out there.

And the only way you're going to be able to experience perfection is to see them live. Unless you're in to criticizing thir amplifier selection, I don't know.

But what do I know, I need to grow up. eh.gif

OR.....maybe the one who REALLY needs to grow up is the one who runs out debate material and resorts to telling other people to grow up.

Food for thought.

You said it, not me. I said "grow up" because it seemed from your post that those who disagree with the 100% greatness that is CA is simply a troll.

I don't know why I need to keep saying this--

I love the album and it's lack of sonic quality isn't keeping me from enjoying it. I'm just saying I could enjoy it more. I'm not throwing it in the trash. And for the record, I bought it on vinyl on Saturday at an indie show so I've been listening to it multiple times every day since then. I think that's enough time to formulate an opinion on whether or not I like the mix.

Again, it's possible to like the album and dislike the mix too. Although this is nowhere near the mess that is VT, I liked the songs on that too despite it's sound quality.