The Onset of Technology

losingit2k

We used to listen to RUSH for their musicianship, their composition, their lyrics, their passion towards playing. Now it seems we care more about the sound and quality of the recording than the recording itself. Rush has handed us one of the best albums since the early 80's and we seemed more consumed about the mixing and mastering of the project than the project itself. Give yourself a break from yourselves and allow yourself to soak in the brilliance of this album! It has so much more to offer other than the sound. Which isn't all that bad at all!

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 09:14 AM)
We used to listen to RUSH for their musicianship, their composition, their lyrics, their passion towards playing. Now it seems we care more about the sound and quality of the recording than the recording itself. Rush has handed us one of the best albums since the early 80's and we seemed more consumed about the mixing and mastering of the project than the project itself. Give yourself a break from yourselves and allow yourself to soak in the brilliance of this album! It has so much more to offer other than the sound. Which isn't all that bad at all!

2.gif  wub.gif  2.gif

If anything, I think it's sad that people don't care about it. I mean you are right - it is about the music. So why are we listening to a crappier version of what was actually recorded? Shouldn't we get to hear all the hard work the boys put into creating this album in its purest form? Also, no one is forcing anyone to read threads about this sort of thing. If you don't think the album has any problems (technically speaking) then just don't read the threads.

Either way, technical complaints aside - this album is awesome. 1022.gif

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 12:14 PM)
Give yourself a break from yourselves and allow yourself to soak in the brilliance of this album!

Maybe try giving yourself a break and allow others to have their respective opinions that may or may not differ from yours.

The sound's fine. Fortunately, I don't see a lot of people who disagree with that, regarding CA.

VT, on the other hand... lots of bitching. There, I agree with you: the sound quality became the issue and the actual MUSIC got ignored. Which was a sad thing, because the songs were very good.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Well it's been a sad day for the music industry for the last 10 years, but Rush isnt sweating my nitpicks of the mix.

in case I haven't made it clear I STILL LOVE THE ALBUM.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 13 2012, 01:16 PM)
goodpost.gif  goodpost.gif THANK YOOOU! Our modern day society is so caught up in HD and quality that it blinds us from the real purpose.  I mean, it's always nice to have good quality on music but some people need to take a chill pill.

Sorry, some of us strive and want the best possible quality since we know it is attainable. Rush music this good should sonically sound as good as their better material. Not to mention that in many ways contemporary audio quality has really sunk in the crapper compared to well-mixed and mastered stuff from 20+ years ago.

Edited by marblesmike

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 13 2012, 09:17 AM)
Well it's been a sad day for the music industry for the last 10 years, but Rush isnt sweating my nitpicks of the mix.

This! Clockwork Angels is one of my favorite releases from this band. Enjoying the shit out of it.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 01:15 PM)
So why are we listening to a crappier version of what was actually recorded?

How do you KNOW that this statement is true?

Again, I cannot see how such a statement is not 100% conjecture. Many seem to be imagining this perfect mix exists, when it's entirely conceivable that it does not.

And I agree 100% with the OP: this album is the best Rush album in at least 25 years, I don't give a damn what the trolls think. They put it all together (finally) in this offering.

Soak it in people, this is greatness on display. yes.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 01:19 PM)

Again, I cannot see how such a statement is not 100% conjecture. Many seem to be imagining this perfect mix exists, when it's entirely conceivable that it does not.

And I agree 100% with the OP: this album is the best Rush album in at least 25 years, I don't give a damn what the trolls think. They put it all together (finally) in this offering.

So a troll is someone who doesn't think CA is a perfect 10 across the board in songwriting and sonics?

Grow up.

And there could very well have been a better mix unless the recording engineers are incompetent too, which I doubt. The existence of better sounding production tells me that it could have been possible with this record.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 12:22 PM)

So a troll is someone who doesn't think CA is a perfect 10 across the board in songwriting and sonics?

Grow up.

And there could very well have been a better mix unless the recording engineers are incompetent too, which I doubt. The existence of better sounding production tells me that it could have been possible with this record.

Like I said...Chill pill.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 13 2012, 01:27 PM)

Grow up.

Chill pill = bury your head in the sand

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 09:19 AM)

If you read my past posts, I'm not a troll. Lol in fact, I actually like Clockwork Angels a lot (not saying if you don't you are a troll). But the point is, I don't even think the mix is that big of an issue. But I also don't think it's great either.

But to answer your question. I was referring to the original recording previous to the mixing/mastering. Since I do not like the way this album is mixed/mastered - it's of my opinion we are listening to a crappier version of the album, since this is not the original files before all of that stuff is done. But you are right, it's a big assumption to make, seeing as none of us will ever get to hear what it sounded like before the final stages.

Just my opinion though. If you don't agree with it, that's totally cool. trink39.gif But FYI just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't make them a troll.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 12:30 PM)

Grow up.

Yeah, exactly what I meant. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 12:18 PM)

This! Clockwork Angels is one of my favorite releases from this band. Enjoying the shit out of it.

trink39.gif

I hope so cause your critique was the only one that has made any sense out of the entire pack of! The bass does sound a bit heavy through a major sound system at times but it shouldn't be the focus when it's not really that distracting.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 01:30 PM)

Grow up.

I don't understand why I would need a chill pill?

Because I want the best quality, especially when I know it is possible? Should I just strive for mediocrity instead?

This is a music-based discussion. Nothing I say or think here affects me so much as to warrant the taking of any medications.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 12:39 PM)

Grow up.

Because I want the best quality, especially when I know it is possible? Should I just strive for mediocrity instead?

This is a music-based discussion. Nothing I say or think here affects me so much as to warrant the taking of any medications.

See, that's what I mean. If it's just a little bit less than "perfect" quality, people tend to start complaining. I'm just saying, man. Don't let one/two little problems in a few songs take away from your experience and call it "mediocre". It's Rush...Take it as it is. Enjoy the music. smile.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 13 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 13 2012, 12:18 PM)

trink39.gif

I hope so cause your critique was the only one that has made any sense out of the entire pack of! The bass does sound a bit heavy through a major sound system at times but it shouldn't be the focus when it's not really that distracting.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

If we're talking about the heavy bass during the "i stoke the fires of the big steel wheels" part of Headlong Flight, i do believe that is Taurus pedals we hear.

if it is Taurus pedals, and even if it isn't i love that part! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 13 2012, 01:49 PM)

Grow up.

See, that's what I mean. If it's just a little bit less than "perfect" quality, people tend to start complaining. I'm just saying, man. Don't let one/two little problems in a few songs take away from your experience and call it "mediocre". It's Rush...Take it as it is. Enjoy the music. smile.gif

Is it possible to love the album but wish it sounded better?

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 13 2012, 01:49 PM)

Grow up.

Is it possible to love the album but wish it sounded better?

Trust me, you did not make it sound like that.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 13 2012, 12:49 PM)

Grow up.

That's my whole point. We have a new RUSH album in our hands and everyone is more consumed with the 5% that wrong rather than the 95% that's right!

yes.gif