I Don't Care What Anybody Says

presto123

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 11 2012, 10:21 PM)
Am I the only one in here that thinks Permanent Waves is one of the most lacking records by Rush honestly I listened to it like 6 times when I first got it, and haven't listened to it since.

Yes, Yes you are!

bolt.gif

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 10:27 PM)
Am I the only one in here that thinks Permanent Waves is one of the most lacking records by Rush honestly I listened to it like 6 times when I first got it, and haven't listened to it since.

Yes, Yes you are!

bolt.gif

It's a fantastic record and honestly I'm about to play it again. Their is only one rush song I don't like and it's I Think I'm going Bald.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 11 2012, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jun 11 2012, 09:58 PM)
Big fan of Presto, especially lyrically. Im just trying to understand how someone couldnt like Countdown and Losing It. Brilliant songs to me, but not to some I guess.
Also, CA is pretty huge and growing on me more too....but nothing on the planet can touch 2112-MP. most bands are lucky to have a great 3-4 records, in my op there is only one lack luster record in the catalog.
and no its not T4E or VT

To each their own!

I do like "Countdown" and "Losing It"- just not as much as many, many other songs. I could get into specific reasons why, but I'll only write 'em down if requested. They just don't make an impact on my soul like all the songs from Presto or Counterparts do.

"I rank my favorite albums by how I much I enjoy the songs. Signals loses out because I don't like "Countdown" and sometimes "Losing It" is too maudlin for me."

All I said was I didnt understand you, or anyone for that matter not liking those songs. Signals is a very solid classic record, and being that I harken back to that era as a fan, it stands to reason Ill like that stuff better than any of the newer stuff as a whole. But in fairness, you did say I dont like it as far as Countdown goes. And so goes to each their own

QUOTE (kentpilot @ Jun 11 2012, 10:39 PM)

Yes, Yes you are!

bolt.gif

It's a fantastic record and honestly I'm about to play it again. Their is only one rush song I don't like and it's I Think I'm going Bald.

Dude what are you cool10.gif, that isn't Permanent Waves! I think I'm going Bald is on Caress Of Steel! I think its more like I think you're going insane in the brain!

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 10:43 PM)

Yes, Yes you are!

bolt.gif

Dude what are you cool10.gif, that isn't Permanent Waves! I think I'm going Bald is on Caress Of Steel! I think its more like I think you're going insane in the brain!

I think he was saying overall(all records) there is only one Rush song he doesn't like. confused13.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 11 2012, 10:45 PM)

Yes, Yes you are!

bolt.gif

I think he was saying overall(all records) there is only one Rush song he doesn't like. confused13.gif

My wife does that to me all the time, Starts on one subject then switches to another without any pause or segway!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 11 2012, 05:28 PM)
Presto is pretty good, but pretty subpar by Rush's standards (I consider it better than only Test for Echo and the debut).  But hey, if someone has a personal connection to it, for whatever reason, that is awesome.  That is the whole point of music, to make that connection.  cool.gif

It was a time in my life when things were not going so well. It is a very emotional album to me. The tunes were right on the money at the time. It is very personal to me. 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 11 2012, 10:45 PM)

Yes, Yes you are!

bolt.gif

Indeed

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 11 2012, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 10:56 PM)
Big fan of Presto, especially lyrically. Im just trying to understand how someone couldnt like Countdown and Losing It. Brilliant songs to me, but not to some I guess.
Also, CA is pretty huge and growing on me more too....but nothing on the planet can touch 2112-MP. most bands are lucky to have a great 3-4 records, in my op there is only one lack luster record in the catalog.
and no its not T4E or VT

To each their own!

I do like "Countdown" and "Losing It"- just not as much as many, many other songs. I could get into specific reasons why, but I'll only write 'em down if requested. They just don't make an impact on my soul like all the songs from Presto or Counterparts do.

By any chance did you discover RUSH during the release of Presto?

confused13.gif

Dude, I'm only 23, soon to be 24. I would've been 1 when Presto came out laugh.gif

Well RUSH is much better at 1 than the Wiggles or Disney Songs!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 11 2012, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 11 2012, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 11 2012, 09:01 PM)
and no its not T4E or VT

To each their own!

confused13.gif

Dude, I'm only 23, soon to be 24. I would've been 1 when Presto came out laugh.gif

Nothing I've read recently had made me feel as old as this... Presto was what got me into the band, and I was 15 sad.gif

I was 20. biggrin.gif

I was 21.

Holy crap.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 11 2012, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 11 2012, 09:01 PM)
and no its not T4E or VT

To each their own!

confused13.gif

Nothing I've read recently had made me feel as old as this... Presto was what got me into the band, and I was 15 sad.gif

Sorry, bro! Age has little to do with much, say I laugh.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jun 11 2012, 11:42 PM)
and no its not T4E or VT

To each their own!

"I rank my favorite albums by how I much I enjoy the songs. Signals loses out because I don't like "Countdown" and sometimes "Losing It" is too maudlin for me."

All I said was I didnt understand you, or anyone for that matter not liking those songs. Signals is a very solid classic record, and being that I harken back to that era as a fan, it stands to reason Ill like that stuff better than any of the newer stuff as a whole. But in fairness, you did say I dont like it as far as Countdown goes. And so goes to each their own

I amend my statements accordingly. . . it's all subjective in the big picture. . .

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 11 2012, 10:01 PM)
and no its not T4E or VT

To each their own!

confused13.gif

Well RUSH is much better at 1 than the Wiggles or Disney Songs!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Alas, I wouldn't get into Rush till 2006 fists crying.gif

I agree with the OP. And I, too, don't care what anybody says.

Take whatever 20-minute segment you want from CA and stack it up against all of "2112," and CA wins in my opinion.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 12 2012, 07:33 AM)
I agree with the OP. And I, too, don't care what anybody says.

Take whatever 20-minute segment you want from CA and stack it up against all of "2112," and CA wins in my opinion.

Sorry dude you went to far! Nothing on CA can compare to 2112/ Overture/ Temples/ Finale! Everything else is fair game.

Yeah, yeah I know, the verses of the title track are basically the finale. Still the finale is better!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I haven't been home, so I haven't picked it up yet. I won't read all the spoilers about it no.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 04:44 AM)
CA is way better than 2112. All it takes is more spins and more familiarity. 2112 was an important record in the bands history for sure but it has weaknesses. CA has few weaknesses once you give it a chance to sink in. I never would have believed it. 1022.gif This record just gets better and better the more you spin it.

trink39.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif bekloppt.gif common001.gif cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif yes.gif 2.gif 2.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Flying Finn @ Jun 10 2012, 06:29 AM)
Well 2112 is like 10th best Rush album imo.

It suffers from so called Tarkus syndrome which means great A-side and lackclustering B-side. I do like A Passage to Bangkok though.

There's not a weak song on 2112, whether you like them or not. TTZ, Lessons and SFN are all good particularly the latter. I can understand Tears not getting a lot of love, but I'll sing along right through it every time. IMO APTB is the weakest song on the B side.

No accounting for taste.