CA vs SA

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 07:22 AM)
I'm not going to read this thread (but I will post in it!!). wink.gif I really have no desire to read a bunch (more) of beating down S&A to lift up CA. It's old, it's stale...and it's pretty lame. I get that it's natural to compare recent releases, but shitting on S&A is the mob mentality around here....many of the same people who used to go on about this album, I might add. (I know who you are!!!) tongue.gif

CA is great in its very own right, compared to nothing else. It doesn't need to stand next to an album that disappointed you to be fine.

I'm glad that they're so different (to me anyhow). It actually makes S&A's place in their catalogue that much sweeter and unique.

trink39.gif

100% agreed.

Snakes and Arrows stands strong still after 5 years. Some great songs, but nothing weak at all in my book. A tremendous album. I agree...to compare them at this point is futile. when a few years pass and you want to discuss how each release compared...yeah cool.

To me they are so different as every Rush release has been. It is what has kept me a fan for some 31 years now.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 12 2012, 06:26 AM)
I'm not going to read this thread (but I will post in it!!).  wink.gif  I really have no desire to read a bunch (more) of beating down S&A to lift up CA.  It's old, it's stale...and it's pretty lame.  I get that it's natural to compare recent releases, but shitting on S&A is the mob mentality around here....many of the same people who used to go on about this album, I might add.  (I know who you are!!!)  tongue.gif 

CA is great in its very own right, compared to nothing else.  It doesn't need to stand next to an album that disappointed you to be fine.

I'm glad that they're so different (to me anyhow).  It actually makes S&A's place in their catalogue that much sweeter and unique.

trink39.gif

100% agreed.

Snakes and Arrows stands strong still after 5 years. Some great songs, but nothing weak at all in my book. A tremendous album. I agree...to compare them at this point is futile. when a few years pass and you want to discuss how each release compared...yeah cool.

To me they are so different as every Rush release has been. It is what has kept me a fan for some 31 years now.

Amen to that. Rush's soundscape is a varied palette of color. It's why an album like HYF has a very distinctive place in their history, love it, hate it, or somewhere in between. When you stand back from all of it, these colors are strangely in concert. (And if you look closely, you can see a sailboat in the middle somewhere!!)

Snakes is a bottom tier Rush album for me so I'm sure hoping I like Clockwork better. I'll know that answer a few hours from now. atickhum.gif

I like both, but SA was a mixed bag. Both really good and really bad tracks.

There isn't a bad track on CA, at all. It's solid all the way through.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 12 2012, 06:38 AM)
Snakes is a bottom tier Rush album for me so I'm sure hoping I like Clockwork better. I'll know that answer a few hours from now. atickhum.gif

Give it multiple listens, Tick. I've seen some people knee-jerking with that "ehh" thing sometimes evoked with one cursory glance. Earworms galore here.

trink39.gif Enjoy

I'm not going to read this thread (but I will post in it!!).  wink.gif  I really have no desire to read a bunch (more) of beating down S&A to lift up CA.  It's old, it's stale...and it's pretty lame.  I get that it's natural to compare recent releases, but shitting on S&A is the mob mentality around here....many of the same people who used to go on about this album, I might add.  (I know who you are!!!)  tongue.gif 

CA is great in its very own right, compared to nothing else.  It doesn't need to stand next to an album that disappointed you to be fine.

I'm glad that they're so different (to me anyhow).  It actually makes S&A's place in their catalogue that much sweeter and unique.

trink39.gif

I don't subscribe to any mob mentality. If you break down Snakes song to song, its an average record. Nothing special. If you find it more than that good for you. I don't say anything about it to get a rise out of people. I just give my honest opinion.

If CA is as good as Vapor Trails I will be very pleased because I love that album.

I'm excited to hear the new record! 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 12 2012, 07:38 AM)

If you like VT, you probably will, but the songs are better. It seems to be a wall of sound and new ideas.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 07:42 AM)

Give it multiple listens, Tick. I've seen some people knee-jerking with that "ehh" thing sometimes evoked with one cursory glance. Earworms galore here.

trink39.gif Enjoy

I will not knee jerk. I like to take it all in and be slow in any judgement. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 12 2012, 06:44 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 07:42 AM)

trink39.gif Enjoy

I will not knee jerk. I like to take it all in and be slow in any judgement. trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Snakes and Arrows is kinda weird: there is nothing I dislike about it, its beautifully played, the acoustic elements are gorgeous, many of the songs alone are wonderful, the lyrics are intriguing.

But it bores me.

Clockwork Angels is a strange album as well: I used to really love it. But I cannot recall a single moment in Carnies, The Anarchist, Halo Effect , or even The Wreckers. And I have played this album, a gazillion times! But saying that, Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Seven Cities Of Gold, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well and The Garden are absolute gems, some I evem regard as Rush classics.

But those songs I can never remember, well, thatbis inexcusable considering the fact I have played the album so many times. Whereas Snakes and Arrows as a whole is boring to me, CA I find all the more frustrating as I cannot bear to admit to the fact this album I once really adored is actually ridden with fillers.

In all honesty, CA wins (but an argument could be made that SA is more consistent, and in many ways more rewarding).

Vapor Trails and the remix have proven to be my my choice (equal in my eyes as one album), as my top pick for a post-2000 Rush album.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1