The Anarchist

samurai1993

Lovin' the egiptian/asian scale that they added at certain moments of the songs. The solo is gorgeus and exotic, the lyrics beatiful and for me is the song with most flow of the album, the lyrics just go on like butter!

p.s: If you remember the fancy mics that they had in their mic stands during the Time Machine tour; those are copperphones and give a distorted/mid focussed tone. In the tour they used them for recording the crowd sounds, wondering if they recorded the distorted/low fi voices in the album with them, or that was post-production in the studio

Edited by samurai1993

I absolutely love this one - probably my favorite on the album.

Something about the bass movement in the verse just reminds me a bit of Drama-era Yes - killer bass line.

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 5 2012, 08:39 PM)
That phased guitar part could be from Permanent Waves/MP era. Alex is just ripping it on this song. And now that I have seen the lyrics, I mean, damn.

Yeah, there's a whole lot of damn...! on this album. laugh.gif

QUOTE (samurai1993 @ Jun 5 2012, 08:17 PM)
Lovin' the egiptian/asian scale that they added at certain moments of the songs. The solo is gorgeus and exotic, the lyrics beatiful and for me is the song with most flow of the album, the lyrics just go on like butter!

p.s: If you remember the fancy mics that they had in their mic stands during the Time Machine tour; those are copperphones and give a distorted/mid focussed tone. In the tour they used them for recording the crowd sounds, wondering if they recorded the distorted/low fi voices in the album with them, or that was post-production in the studio

Has someone with the fan pack scanned the lyrics yet?

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 5 2012, 09:39 PM)
That phased guitar part could be from Permanent Waves/MP era. Alex is just ripping it on this song. And now that I have seen the lyrics, I mean, damn.

the phaser really did it for this record. Also loving how it sounds in the bass of Caravan

One of my favorites on the album!

That solo.... ! ohmy.gif Lawdy.

QUOTE (samurai1993 @ Jun 5 2012, 07:17 PM)

They might have also recorded vocals with a harmonica mic like Les Claypool sometimes does. On songs like Moron TV he gets a very similar vocal sound using one of those.

All I know is that I hope they perform these megaphone vocals live on tour and don't just put them on a sampler like they seem to usually do.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 5 2012, 10:49 PM)

They might have also recorded vocals with a harmonica mic like Les Claypool sometimes does. On songs like Moron TV he gets a very similar vocal sound using one of those.

All I know is that I hope they perform these megaphone vocals live on tour and don't just put them on a sampler like they seem to usually do.

The copperphones they used to record the crowds where in fact the harmonica version

http://www.placidaudio.com/the-copperphone-harmonica-mini/

But all the versions have that distorted edge. The harmonica that Les uses is the bullet looking that he used in the Spirit of Radio cover that is in YT?

QUOTE (samurai1993 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:52 PM)

The copperphones they used to record the crowds where in fact the harmonica version

http://www.placidaudio.com/the-copperphone-harmonica-mini/

But all the versions have that distorted edge. The harmonica that Les uses is the bullet looking that he used in the Spirit of Radio cover that is in YT?

Yup. I believe it's a Shure Green Bullet.

I just saw Primus live and he had it on his mic stand next to a more standard stick mic. He did a lot of vocals through it which I thought was cool in theory, but every time he used that mic he was virtually silent from the audience perspective. I don't know if the sound mix guy was just a tad "affected" that night or what.

Huge track.

Can you experts out there tell me what they use for that huge BOOM effect? Is it the bass? Or am I just as dumb as a box of rocks?

It shakes the room! Massive.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 6 2012, 11:45 AM)
Huge track.

Can you experts out there tell me what they use for that huge BOOM effect? Is it the bass? Or am I just as dumb as a box of rocks?

It shakes the room! Massive.

Not sure, today after hearing the song I started to think that the bass is dual tracked, one being the bare bass track and the other one a little higher in the mix with some modulation effect (chorus maybe). Can you tell me what you hear? Because following the bass I hear an almost synthy sound, after that I noticed "this is not following the bass, this IS the bass". And because I could hear both of them, I came with the dual track thing.

If this is true, that surelly is contributing to the "BOOM"

http://www.mymedialibrary.com/ged-fone.jpg

At ~2:17, the quintessential Neil Peart drum fill (a la Temples of Syrinx) was NOT highlighted in the mix. angry.gif

It should be in your face, not subtle.

Anyone hear it?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 7 2012, 06:54 PM)
At ~2:17, the quintessential Neil Peart drum fill (a la Temples of Syrinx) was NOT highlighted in the mix. angry.gif

Anyone hear it?

Of course I hear it. I think Neil did it that way on purpose, though. He's trying to be more of a finesse player these days and I don't find that a bad thing, really.

You just have to listen harder. I think it's rewarding this way

Anyone hear it?

Wow, I'm still amazed of how I didn't notice that one oops.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 7 2012, 07:58 PM)
At ~2:17, the quintessential Neil Peart drum fill (a la Temples of Syrinx) was NOT highlighted in the mix.  angry.gif

Anyone hear it?

Of course I hear it. I think Neil did it that way on purpose, though. He's trying to be more of a finesse player these days and I don't find that a bad thing, really.

You just have to listen harder. I think it's rewarding this way

Neil didn't do it. He is wailing on the drums. They are mic'd/leveled low in the mix. That shit should be right there noticeable.

goodpost.gif

I love the orchestral parts!

Everyone shines on this track, when I first heard it I assumed the drums would be the highlight but then Geddy comes in with an amazing bass part that totally steals the show. The vocals are fantastic and Alex's harmonic minor solo is amazing!