Production/Mastering issues

Terrapin

I really don't want to be "Negative Nancy" or a "Debbie Downer" regarding CA, but I'm afraid after numerous listenings to the actual CD, in several different environments, I'm finding it very hard to hear Geddy's vocals. Indeed, the whole CD appears to be far too compressed to my ears.

A real shame as in my opinion, Neil has written some of his best lyrics for quite a while and Geddy has sung them with an exuberance and melodic quality that is at some points, spine tingling.

Unfortunately, due to the production/mastering it is very difficult just to sit back, relax and simply enjoy these qualities, as it just turns into an over compressed listening experience.

Perhaps its just the digital age, or maybe my age (45) wink.gif but the this beautifully written and performed suite has been compromised by the almost "phoned in" production.

Yes, it's brickwalled. I've inserted tracks into both Logic and Pro tools here in my studio and they are peaking - big time.

Again, maybe its just me. Perhaps this is the way we are supposed to listen to music these days - par for the course?

Either way, I love the songs - hate the production

Just my opinion.

Regards,

T

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 05:18 PM)
I really don't want to be "Negative Nancy" or a "Debbie Downer" regarding CA, but I'm afraid after numerous listenings to the actual CD, in several different environments, I'm finding it very hard to hear Geddy's vocals. Indeed, the whole CD appears to be far too compressed to my ears.

A real shame as in my opinion, Neil has written some of his best lyrics for quite a while and Geddy has sung them with an exuberance and melodic quality that is at some points, spine tingling.

Unfortunately, due to the production/mastering it is very difficult just to sit back, relax and simply enjoy these qualities, as it just turns into an over compressed listening experience.

Perhaps its just the digital age, or maybe my age (45) wink.gif but the this beautifully written and performed suite has been compromised by the almost "phoned in" production.

Yes, it's brickwalled. I've inserted tracks into both Logic and Pro tools here in my studio and they are peaking - big time.

Again, maybe its just me. Perhaps this is the way we are supposed to listen to music these days - par for the course?

Just my opinion.

Regards,

T

Are you listening to the downloaded version? If so you shouldn't even make a comment on production. No way you can tell from that.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 03:18 PM)

I think some of the compression you're hearing is just the low-bitrate mp3s most of us have heard. Unless you somehow have an advance copy of the actual full-quality CD? A lot of the compression was surely introduced intentionally in the production process. Heavy compression is a mastering staple in nearly all styles of music these days, rock included.

Brickwalling doesn't bother me at all in theory. Sometimes brickwalled production sounds bad, but sometimes it sounds great. It sounds fine here to me.... nothing too extreme when compared with other contemporary rock music.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 11:18 PM)
after numerous listenings to the actual CD

Most replies so far seem to have missed this vital piece of the post.

Personally, I am finding the vocals to be loud enough, but on the lower level of acceptable.

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:21 PM)
facepalm.gif

I agree with the boob grab. OP needs to clarify what his audio source was. Surely he can't be complaining about the leaked copy. Shirley?

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 04:18 PM)

Just my opinion.

Regards,

T

Well, I was wondering how long it would take someone to bitch about the waveform and the compression. A day. It took a single day. Congratulations.

The album sounds great. The music is awesome. The vocals are not too far down in the mix. If you're an audiophile that isn't happy unless everything is 100% perfect, well... that's you. That's not 99.9% of the rest of us. I swear, "over compressed" is the most overblown thing I've ever heard about modern music. Honestly, it's beginning to sound like the kind of thing people say when they want to appear smart about audio production or they're just looking for something to be contrary about.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 10:18 PM)

Perhaps its just the digital age, or maybe my age (45)  wink.gif but the this beautifully written and performed suite has been compromised by the almost "phoned in" production.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

T

I'm still waiting for the CD so I can't really comment yet but in general I tend to agree with your point.

There are certain sections where I just can't hear what's going on, and as a musician I really want to hear every note.

You shouldn't fill the entire sound spectrum just because it's there.

Seems to be a trend...

Then again some of it sounds great...

I find myself at times yearning for a more simple spread out sound like Permanent Waves, but then I wonder if it's just me.

I'm no expert on the finer points of recording but it'll be interesting to hear what people think of the mix and mastering after the CD hits the letterboxes...

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 5 2012, 03:43 PM)
99% of people who use the "over-compressed" argument wouldn't be able to identify compression on a recording if you paid them.

I agree.... "over-compressed" has become an over-used buzzword. It's true that heavy compression is commonplace these days, but a lot of people throw the term around without any kind of qualification of their meaning.

QUOTE (quickfree @ Jun 5 2012, 03:45 PM)
And here we go.. tongue.gif

I bet this thread gets to 10 pages, at least. tongue.gif

Place your bets now.

I agree the vocals are too low in the mix, but I think it's for a reason. I hate to say it but the main thing I dislike about the album is how much he is obviously straining at points. If he can't hit notes in the studio it's not gonna happen live.

I don't know if the over compression is the problem. I think Alex uses too much distortion and there may be too much overdubbing. Well and sometimes I really don't hear what Geddy sings.

I really miss the drum mixing they used in 70s and early 80s. I liked how the drums were loud and crystal clear. Now you don't hear them that clearly.

But I'm still waiting the Fanpack to arrive and these are only minor complaints. The album sounds mostly great.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 5 2012, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 11:18 PM)
after numerous listenings to the actual CD

Most replies so far seem to have missed this vital piece of the post.

Personally, I am finding the vocals to be loud enough, but on the lower level of acceptable.

This

The sound is dense in parts, but even with my crappy mp3s, I can still crank this baby up loud without distorting.....much much much better than VT's sound and much less complex and layered than SA. However, some of Neil's toms are too low in the mix, esp on Caravan and just after the intense middle interlude of Wreckers, but at other places, much more crisp and audible.