What DOESN'T work about CA?

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 5 2012, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 06:39 PM)
Don't know it well enough yet...

And I haven't even heard it yet! tongue.gif

Just seems like we could enjoy it for, I dunno, maybe a week before we start nitpicking and looking for faults. confused13.gif

I probably shouldn't complain, though, because the reaction has been remarkably positive, much better than I remember for S&A. trink39.gif

Seriously, I've been really enjoying it. My complaints are minor, and thank God for that! I was really expecting I wasn't going to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I have been.

If you're enjoying it, Why Oh Why did you have to complain? Why?

pokey.gif beathorse.gif bitchslap.gif

Edited by losingit2k

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 6 2012, 04:09 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 5 2012, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 06:39 PM)
Don't know it well enough yet...

And I haven't even heard it yet! tongue.gif

Just seems like we could enjoy it for, I dunno, maybe a week before we start nitpicking and looking for faults. confused13.gif

I probably shouldn't complain, though, because the reaction has been remarkably positive, much better than I remember for S&A. trink39.gif

Seriously, I've been really enjoying it. My complaints are minor, and thank God for that! I was really expecting I wasn't going to enjoy it anywhere near as much as I have been.

If you're enjoying it, Why Oh Why did you have to complain? Why?

pokey.gif beathorse.gif bitchslap.gif

It's called a conversation and being willing to look at things from a variety of points of view. tongue.gif

It's us talking about minor issues on an album most people seem to at the minimum really like, and most really love. It could have been worse - at least it's not a CA sucks thread! wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 5 2012, 07:43 PM)
Nothing. There is nothing not great about the album, nothing I wish they would have done differently. That's not to say that it is perfect and couldn't be better, just that what we have doesn't need to be any better.

And I sure as hell wouldn't say that it's all brickwalled to hell and the mastering/mixing is crap, as some are saying. It's a pleasure to listen to, and if the 0.001% of audiophiles find fault with it, that's not anyone's problem but theirs, IMO.

goodpost.gif

Except I will say that the placement of Wish Them Well (between BU2B2 and The Garden) is just awful. Sounds totally out of place. 062802puke_prv.gif

Ok, I'll bite. I love the album, but it's not perfect. If these were fixed, it'd be a top 5 album for me:

1. There are notes that Geddy is just not hitting on the album. Not a lot, but they are there and they are noticeable (Seven Cities of Gold???). I wish he had come up with melodies that were more in his range. If he can't hit a note with multiple studio takes he's not going to hit it live. Also, how did the high pitched backing vocals in Wish Them Well make it past Neil, Alex, Nick and Rich and not get cut out? smile.gif

2. A few awkward transitions in songs (coming out of the "blues" part in the title track, the weird 4 bar "honky tonk" part right before the last chorus in Carnies, coming out of the intro to Seven Cities.) There are a couple others but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

3. Replace Wish Them Well with an instrumental!

From what I understand there is not an instrumental on this effort. I look forward to Rush Instrumentals so this is a big downer for me. Purchasing CA becomes even less probable now.

There is supposed to be a band portrait in the cd artwork, as stated in the liner notes, but there isn't any photo. Doesn't work.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jun 7 2012, 11:18 AM)
From what I understand there is not an instrumental on this effort. I look forward to Rush Instrumentals so this is a big downer for me. Purchasing CA becomes even less probable now.

wow.....so glad I don't think like you!

I feel the same....your point? If we all thought alike it would be a very boring world.

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jun 7 2012, 11:26 AM)

I feel the same....your point?

My my point is what is stated. And I'm glad that feeling is mutual.

Also, no flame to you. I respect your opinion, but just glad I'm loving this album after so much anticipation. If I ended up hating it, I'd be feeling kinda down.

trink39.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

perfectly happy with everything on the album its a great piece of work and a welcome comeback after s&a i think... only thing id have liked more of is more minutes smile.gif another track or two, maybe an instrumental, would have been fab

Don't really care for BU2B2.

Otherwise, this is a very solid album with a lot to LOVE in every single song!!

At first I didn't like Halo Effect but I've changed my mind on that one.

I wish there were longer and more elaborated Alex solos...esp at the end of Wreckers. It's really the only thing I can think of now that I wish was different. An instrumental would be nice, but i'm not missing it honestly...the songs themselves have so much power and energy and musical prowess with nice musical interludes that not having a separate instrumental never stuck out for me.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 11:35 AM)
I wish there were longer and more elaborated Alex solos...esp at the end of Wreckers. It's really the only thing I can think of now that I wish was different. An instrumental would be nice, but i'm not missing it honestly...the songs themselves have so much power and energy and musical prowess with nice musical interludes that not having a separate instrumental never stuck out for me.

Yeah I'm not missing the instrumental either. When I first saw the track list I was disappointed their was no instrumental but after hearing the album, I don't miss it at all. The songs have enough instrumentation to to compensate for the lack of an instrumental. There isn't a bad track on this album. The only song that I found Ok was "Wish them Well" and that has grown on me as of late. This Album reminds me alot of the Signals-Power Windows era but much Stronger and Heavier. I also agree with you that they faded out The Wrecker to soon. But I'm sure that was be design so we can just die at the concert when they extend that Mother!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 7 2012, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 11:35 AM)
I wish there were longer and more elaborated Alex solos...esp at the end of Wreckers.  It's really the only thing I can think of now that I wish was different.  An instrumental would be nice, but i'm not missing it honestly...the songs themselves have so much power and energy and musical prowess with nice musical interludes that not having a separate instrumental never stuck out for me.

Yeah I'm not missing the instrumental either. When I first saw the track list I was disappointed their was no instrumental but after hearing the album, I don't miss it at all. The songs have enough instrumentation to to compensate for the lack of an instrumental. There isn't a bad track on this album. The only song that I found Ok was "Wish them Well" and that has grown on me as of late. This Album reminds me alot of the Signals-Power Windows era but much Stronger and Heavier. I also agree with you that they faded out The Wrecker to soon. But I'm sure that was be design so we can just die at the concert when they extend that Mother!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 04:16 PM)

what doesn't work about the album?

the first two songs. 062802puke_prv.gif

no.gif

Youz crazzy Dudez. wacko.gif

they are weak songs dude and for me the album starts with track 3.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 7 2012, 01:04 PM)

no.gif

laugh.gif

I hear ya...but I still think they rock.

Specifically BU2B...can't really relate to the lyrics, but sure as hell love the METAL! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 7 2012, 11:09 AM)
Ok, I'll bite. I love the album, but it's not perfect. If these were fixed, it'd be a top 5 album for me:

1. There are notes that Geddy is just not hitting on the album. Not a lot, but they are there and they are noticeable (Seven Cities of Gold???). I wish he had come up with melodies that were more in his range. If he can't hit a note with multiple studio takes he's not going to hit it live. Also, how did the high pitched backing vocals in Wish Them Well make it past Neil, Alex, Nick and Rich and not get cut out? smile.gif

2. A few awkward transitions in songs (coming out of the "blues" part in the title track, the weird 4 bar "honky tonk" part right before the last chorus in Carnies, coming out of the intro to Seven Cities.) There are a couple others but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

3. Replace Wish Them Well with an instrumental!

I agree with you on the transitions. There are some great verses, bridges and choruses, but often they come from out of nowhere and don't really match the rest of the song.

For example, I love the intro to CA and I love the first verse, but it seems like it could have used a better transition. Then at around 1:30 it goes into a very heavy section, which IMHO screws up the song and comes from out of nowhere.

Carnies is another example. The beginning of the song is very early Rush (brings to mind "Working Man"). I don't particularly love it, but then the chorus comes in and it's fantastic - but doesn't really match.

It's as if they jammed and had all these great parts, and sort of botched the arrangements.

It's still Rush and it's still better than 99% of what's out there, so I'm pleased overall.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:10 PM)

no.gif

laugh.gif

Specifically BU2B...can't really relate to the lyrics, but sure as hell love the METAL! 1022.gif

BU2B is a hell of a rocker and the middle section is the icing with those keys.....great melody, poignant emotion, touching lyrics, and strong flow too. Love the additional sound effects and more "meaty" sounding chorus on the new version.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:10 PM)

no.gif

laugh.gif

BU2B is a hell of a rocker and the middle section is the icing with those keys.....great melody, poignant emotion, touching lyrics, and strong flow too. Love the additional sound effects and more "meaty" sounding chorus on the new version.

for some reason im enjoying BU2B more now than when it was first released. I'm not sure if it's the remix or listening to it in the context of the whole album or what, but one thing is for sure, this album is all killer and no filler 1022.gif