Rate CA a scale of 1-10

fonzbear2000

Rate CA a scale of 1-10  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Rate CA a scale of 1-10

• 1 Rush's worst album ever
    • 10 Rush's best album ever

Yes, I know there are other discussion threads for the album, but it would be interesting to see how people rank it. So, if you want, you can just vote here if you've already given your opinion elsewhere.

For me, there are many Rush albums that I equally love and would give all 10's to and this one is no exception. They have really outdone themselves yet again!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to go with 7, which is relative to their best work of course. I dont think it touches my favorite albums from them, but its a step below that due to Ged not being as good of a singer as he once was, Neil's drumming really not being all that amazing, some vocal melodies dont do much for me, but overall it's somewhere maybe in the top 8, so I think 7 is a fair score. Edited by trenken

7...for now. But I'm sure it'll go up a notch or two once I digest everything there is to offer. And that'll take a bit of time.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 05:37 PM)
a solid 6.  there are some real duds that bring it down but i'm happy with the 4 or 5 i like.

Sounds like The Rush Forum. tongue.gif

What would you give your fave S&A in comparison, probably a 0?

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Great to see no votes below 6!

I voted 9, only because 10 had the "Rush's best album ever" bit. Not sure if I'd go THAT far yet, but it's still an amazing album.

Besides The Garden, it doesn't feel like there's much progression or innovation over the last two albums. It's not that VT and SaA are bad albums. It's just that after all the years the band spent away from their classic sound, I thought that this album might be a true return to form. Unfortunately, the songs on CA lack the dynamic feel of the 70's material and most don't really seem all that iconic. What happened to all the odd time signatures and tightness of the band? I can't pick out one moment on the album where Neil or Alex really shine in terms of technicality and dynamicism. On a more positive note, Geddy's vocals sound just fine to me and songs like HF and Wish Them Well would make fine additions to the band's setlist. Also, the production is everything you'd want on a modern hard rock album. Overall, CA is definitely better than the band's late 80's and 90's material, but a lot of it is still bland and fairly forgettable.

Edited by adace1

I'm going to give it a solid 0.

Ask me in a year after I've had time to absorb the whole thing and get a feel for how it's going to age.

(the 0 does not mean I hate it... it means I'm going to reserve judgement for a year.)

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:29 PM)

Besides The Garden, it doesn't feel like there's much progression or innovation over the last two albums. It's not that VT and SaA are bad albums. It's just that after all the years the band spent away from their classic sound, I thought that this album might be a true return to form. Unfortunately, the songs on CA lack the dynamic feel of the 70's material and most don't really seem all that iconic. What happened to all the odd time signatures and tightness of the band? I can't pick out one moment on the album where Neil or Alex really shine in terms of technicality and dynamicism. On a more positive note, Geddy's vocals sound just fine to me and songs like HF and Wish Them Well would make fine additions to the band's setlist. Also, the production is everything you'd want on a modern hard rock album. Overall, CA is definitely better than the band's late 80's and 90's material, but a lot of it is still bland.

I definitely agree about the iconic comment. There is basically no chance of any of these songs being beloved like stuff like Limelight for examples. It's just not happening, but those guys were in their late 20s at the time!

For a band where the guys are pushing 60, you really cant expect more than what they put together here, which is why Im pleased enough with it.

They simply dont have it in them to be able to put an album together with a bunch of radio hits. They're old men now and they did the best they could with it which at this point after so many albums is plenty good enough for me. I dont need epic memorable songs like Jacobs Ladder, Subdivisions, etc.. We already got those, so this is just something different to ad to their catalog of music.

I was overhyped, so I was a tiny bit disappointed about certain aspects (the "epic" drumming, the solos, the piano bit) but overall it met my expectations. I'd give it an 8, ranking it slightly above Snakes and Arrows and slightly below Counterparts. I'd also say it's on par with HYF and Signals/Grace Under Pressure. After one listen, I'd probably put it around 8 or 9 on my list. Edited by Deckiller

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jun 4 2012, 06:29 PM)

Besides The Garden, it doesn't feel like there's much progression or innovation over the last two albums. It's not that VT and SaA are bad albums. It's just that after all the years the band spent away from their classic sound, I thought that this album might be a true return to form. Unfortunately, the songs on CA lack the dynamic feel of the 70's material and most don't really seem all that iconic. What happened to all the odd time signatures and tightness of the band? I can't pick out one moment on the album where Neil or Alex really shine in terms of technicality and dynamicism. On a more positive note, Geddy's vocals sound just fine to me and songs like HF and Wish Them Well would make fine additions to the band's setlist. Also, the production is everything you'd want on a modern hard rock album. Overall, CA is definitely better than the band's late 80's and 90's material, but a lot of it is still bland and fairly forgettable.

I mostly agree with this assessment as I said half of the songs just don't do it for me. My favorites are:

Caravan

Bu2B

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

The Garden

the rest are just forgettable for me

Alex's guitar just doesn't have the kind of

soul and power he's capable of.

If the whole album had the energy

and fire of Headlong Flight, Caravan or BU2B then it

might change my opinion but sadly that's not the case.

that being said Clockwork Angels is a testament to the

resilience of a band that's been rockin' for close to 40 years

I won't count Rush out just yet.

Edited by Digitallware

Too early...it's good, but will it stand the test of time. Right now we are all too pumped.