Predict how much you will like CA.....

Gedneil Alpeart

Let's see how well you predict rating the album out of 10, relative to other Rush albums, and rate it after a gap of time ideally, since.we tend to rate new material higher in general because of the "honeymoon effect". Once the novelty wears off and the music truly soaks in, therein will lie your truest judgement IMO.

Ok, for me, given the 3 songs already and what little I know musically about the album (NOT factoring in other reviewers' subjective opinions....just the musical descriptors)....

.....I predict this album will eventually go down as a 7/10 for me.

When it comes time to rate this album down the road after the newness wears off, I will be honest about my rating then and will report it here! Hope this can be fun!

Long ago I did a rate Rush albums thread using this as my 1-10 criteria:

10. Absolute perfection all the way through - a masterpiece.
9. Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect.
8. Great album, a must-own.
7. Very good album - well worth owning.
6. Not thier best, but still pretty darn good.
5. I don't listen that often, but it's a good album.
4. It's not bad, some weaker material.
3 - It's alright, I'll listen and enjoy it occasionally, but will often skip some tracks.
2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but generally fairly weak.
1 - Barely listenable, for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks.
0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Based on that rating system, with what I know so far, I'm guessing a 5.

Hopefully it'll be higher than that. I'll certainly comment (probably a lot knowing me tongue.gif) my feelings about the album once it comes out and I've had time to fully digest it!

based on the first 3 songs I'll give it a solid 8 on the Goober scale.. but honestly I have no idea. the reviews are contradictory at best so I will reserve judgement until the day I get the disk in my grubby little hands.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 24 2012, 03:34 PM)
based on the first 3 songs I'll give it a solid 8 on the Goober scale.. but honestly I have no idea. the reviews are contradictory at best so I will reserve judgement until the day I get the disk in my grubby little hands.

i wish the reviews really gave me some realistic indication of what i'll think of some of the songs, but they don't. advanced descriptions of HF, for example, didn't prepare me at all for what the song actually was. you simply HAVE to hear it for yourself!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2012, 05:19 PM)

3 - It's alright, I'll listen and enjoy it occasionally, but will often skip some tracks.
1 - Barely listenable, for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks.

Hopefully it'll be higher than that. I'll certainly comment (probably a lot knowing me tongue.gif) my feelings about the album once it comes out and I've had time to fully digest it!

Hope it is higher than a 5 and look forward to your comments. I like your rating system. I still predict 7/10 based on your system.

Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight have me at a 7 on the rushgoober scale. Bearing in mind that the chances are they chose HF as a single because they (record company) feel it is a strong song, I think that realistically as an entity the album will score a 5 or 6.

I would love to be wrong though.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ May 24 2012, 06:17 PM)
Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight have me at a 7 on the rushgoober scale. Bearing in mind that the chances are they chose HF as a single because they (record company) feel it is a strong song, I think that realistically as an entity the album will score a 5 or 6.

I would love to be wrong though.

Or maybe they chose the song because it's the most pop sounding, catchiest, radio friendly....not necessarily the most impressive. Usually my fav songs in a Rush album tend NOT to be their front runner singles. I have feeling HF will be a lot of people's least fav song on this album....along with Wish Them Well....... biggrin.gif I predict that the title track, 7 Cities of Gold, The Anarchist, and The Garden will be rated the most liked songs on CA in due time.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

Caravan may eventually go down as one of my favorite Rush songs, and BU2B is pretty cool, but I'm not thrilled with Headlong Flight. The album will have to make good on the promises of more variety people have made on its behalf if it's going to get a high mark in my book. I'm guessing it'll be a 6 or a 7.

between 7 and 9 for me. I love the first three songs (just heard Headlong Flight on WJRR in Orlando - not that I even listen to radio much anymore, but I know that is the first new Rush single played in this market in 16 years!!!) and I expect based on what I have heard, and what a good friend of mine has heard first hand, that this album will be something special! That being said, I don't expect that it will equal my absolute favorites - Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures. That being said, I can't think of any Rush that I could honestly rate less than 5 based on the scale above. Based on the feedback I have, I'd guess it will be among my favorites since 1982.

Honestly, I have no flipping idea.

QUOTE (cygnify @ May 24 2012, 11:05 PM)
between 7 and 9 for me. I love the first three songs (just heard Headlong Flight on WJRR in Orlando - not that I even listen to radio much anymore, but I know that is the first new Rush single played in this market in 16 years!!!) and I expect based on what I have heard, and what a good friend of mine has heard first hand, that this album will be something special! That being said, I don't expect that it will equal my absolute favorites - Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures. That being said, I can't think of any Rush that I could honestly rate less than 5 based on the scale above. Based on the feedback I have, I'd guess it will be among my favorites since 1982.

I thought your friend that heard wasn't totally sold on it? Or is he even a big Rush fan?

I wouldn't go with numbers, they're too strict for my feelings.

I'm positive I'll like it more than T4E, RTB and Counterparts.

PROBABLY I'll like it more than S&A.

Absolutely don't know if I'll like it more than VT.

Really can't compare with older albums.

By that list my guess for me i will be a 6 or 7. I think it will be good but not great.

For me personally they havent made a truly great album in decades so I just dont know if its in them.

Plus the fact that of the 3 new songs the only one I like much is bu2b. I hate the other 2 so if i just like half the songs on this album that will be fine with me and ill refer to it as a good rush album but not up there with their best of course.

Using these ratings, I'll go with an 8. Based on the reviews so far, I think CA will be the most prog Rush album in years, which is right up my alley. 1022.gif I do think CA will be heavier than we expect and probably not as melodic or "catchy" as some want, so I think it will be another divisive record like VT and S&A.

And just for sh!ts and giggles, I'll thow out these predictions: tongue.gif

treeduck - 9

metaldad - 8

Rushgoober - 2

Trenken - 2

GeminiRising - 0

Tony R - 0

http://scrabblesense.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Carnac.jpg