Clockwork Angels

LeaveMyThingAlone

It seems as I read reviews, interviews, and any info about this upcoming album, the overwhelming feeling is that the Clockwork Angels suite is the highlight of the album and is destined to be a Rush classic. I am really looking forward to this one. I can't believe how good the first 3 are and to say we haven't even heard the best yet is really a crazy thought!

Rush classic as in "Red Barchetta" classic? Or classic relative to S&A or recent albums? Huge difference there.

I hope it's great but I cant let myself get my hopes up too high or Ill end up crushed if it isnt great. Of the 3 new songs the only one I like is BU2B, and that is a very long way away from being the same quality of song writing that they were doing when they were in their 20s.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 21 2012, 05:18 PM)
I personally think it is a very good sign that every review has a favorite song. To me, that means they are all about equal in quality. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

goodpost.gif

Basically what happens is a band has huge success when they're young, becomes legendary based off of what they did decades ago, but then still continues on. Then those of us that happen to stick around build everything up too big.

Im not a negative fan at all, Im very thankful to get anything I can especially after the band was dead after what happened to Neil. We could easily have not received anything from them after T4E, and this could just as easily be the last we ever get from them.

At the same time Im very well aware they just arent what they once were, not to my ears. Not even close. They've literally been around for decades and since their peak and have yet to produce an album that was on that level. Every time these guys come out with something new we see the same threads, and each album comes and goes with many hating it, many loving it. That's just how it goes but for me, there is no way I can be convinced they can write like they could when they were hungry young lads until I hear it, and I havent heard that in the new songs.

I like BU2B, its a solid hard rocking song, but its nothing epic or anything thats on the level of some of their best work, the true classics. If its classic relative to modern Rush, most of which I think is just very average, then thats good enough for me. A band damn near senior citizen status, I wouldnt expect them to have the ability to write like they could when they were at their peak, and that was a very long time ago, so I dont need that from them. Just some decent songs is fine, but throwing the word classic around like this will match the best theyve ever done is absurd to me.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 21 2012, 06:05 PM)
I remember reading someone saying Halo Effect was going to be an instant classic.

Yes i remember seeing this too which is interesting because other reviews if i remember say its a different song compared to the rest of the album.

I think a lot of people need a more open mind.

they might have lost the energy and rawness they once had but they also gained a whole lot too over the years..

QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 21 2012, 09:09 PM)
I think a lot of people need a more open mind.

they might have lost the energy and rawness they once had but they also gained a whole lot too over the years..

Good point. I see Rush's career as an evolution, not as a constant state of decline after a point. It depends on one's tastes I guess as to anyone's assessment of Rush over time.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 21 2012, 07:58 PM)
Basically what happens is a band has huge success when they're young, becomes legendary based off of what they did decades ago, but then still continues on. Then those of us that happen to stick around build everything up too big.

Im not a negative fan at all, Im very thankful to get anything I can especially after the band was dead after what happened to Neil. We could easily have not received anything from them after T4E, and this could just as easily be the last we ever get from them.

At the same time Im very well aware they just arent what they once were, not to my ears. Not even close. They've literally been around for decades and since their peak and have yet to produce an album that was on that level. Every time these guys come out with something new we see the same threads, and each album comes and goes with many hating it, many loving it. That's just how it goes but for me, there is no way I can be convinced they can write like they could when they were hungry young lads until I hear it, and I havent heard that in the new songs.

I like BU2B, its a solid hard rocking song, but its nothing epic or anything thats on the level of some of their best work, the true classics. If its classic relative to modern Rush, most of which I think is just very average, then thats good enough for me. A band damn near senior citizen status, I wouldnt expect them to have the ability to write like they could when they were at their peak, and that was a very long time ago, so I dont need that from them. Just some decent songs is fine, but throwing the word classic around like this will match the best theyve ever done is absurd to me.

While I agree with you in a general sense, I gotta tell ya that if Far Cry had a somewhat better guitar solo in it, it would have been a classic, just as good as anything they've ever done (as far as non-epic songs).

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2012, 10:19 PM)

While I agree with you in a general sense, I gotta tell ya that if Far Cry had a somewhat better guitar solo in it, it would have been a classic, just as good as anything they've ever done (as far as non-epic songs).

Well...I think all three songs from CA so far are just as good or better than Far Cry.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 21 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 21 2012, 10:19 PM)

Well...I think all three songs from CA so far are just as good or better than Far Cry.

Everybody is entitled to his or her own wrongheaded opinions, such as yours in this case.

tongue.gif

Clockwork Angels is VERY good. Classic is obviously a tough standard but this definitely feels like the type of song people have been hoping for. The best way I can describe Clockwork Angels is to say that it sounds like a modern-sounding longer song from the same band that did Hemispheres, Xanadu etc. It's certainly the centerpiece of the album and the music (especially in the beginning) does sound like it could be right out of Caress of Steel.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 21 2012, 03:15 PM)
Rush classic as in "Red Barchetta" classic? Or classic relative to S&A or recent albums? Huge difference there.

I hope it's great but I cant let myself get my hopes up too high or Ill end up crushed if it isnt great. Of the 3 new songs the only one I like is BU2B, and that is a very long way away from being the same quality of song writing that they were doing when they were in their 20s.

Well, why couldn't these songs be as good as Red Barchetta, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, etc? These ARE the same guys that wrote those songs you know...

It's funny how some die hards put those songs from that period on some sort of pedestal that is absolutely not attainable. I think to some people that will always be the best Rush and it won't matter what they write now it will never be as good as Red Barchetta. It isn't fair but it's just the way it is I guess.

I say if they're capable of writing Red Barchetta, they're capable of writing something better than Red Barchetta. Why not? They're geniuses that are only that much better 30 years later.

I hate to say it, but for me BU2B is right there. I love that song as much as any song they've written. Will it be that way in 10 years? Who knows? But I think this stuff is all going to be capable of being as good as anything they've done.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 22 2012, 11:01 AM)
Clockwork Angels is VERY good. Classic is obviously a tough standard but this definitely feels like the type of song people have been hoping for. The best way I can describe Clockwork Angels is to say that it sounds like a modern-sounding longer song from the same band that did Hemispheres, Xanadu etc. It's certainly the centerpiece of the album and the music (especially in the beginning) does sound like it could be right out of Caress of Steel.

This is promising. I'd like to thank you for posting about CA before its release trink38.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 22 2012, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 21 2012, 03:15 PM)

Well, why couldn't these songs be as good as Red Barchetta, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, etc? These ARE the same guys that wrote those songs you know...

It's funny how some die hards put those songs from that period on some sort of pedestal that is absolutely not attainable. I think to some people that will always be the best Rush and it won't matter what they write now it will never be as good as Red Barchetta. It isn't fair but it's just the way it is I guess.

I say if they're capable of writing Red Barchetta, they're capable of writing something better than Red Barchetta. Why not? They're geniuses that are only that much better 30 years later.

I hate to say it, but for me BU2B is right there. I love that song as much as any song they've written. Will it be that way in 10 years? Who knows? But I think this stuff is all going to be capable of being as good as anything they've done.

Time does that to people. When people grow up with music for decades it will always be more special to them than something that's new. It's hard for people to get over that. All you have to do is go back and see how often those "classic" albums were criticized at the time to realize that they weren't seen as perfect either when they came out. I've said this before but it's the same reason that people who became sports legends early on will never be reachable in the public's eye. No matter how great a modern sports player might be no one would ever be willing to say they're as good as or better than Babe Ruth for example. Why? Because he's a legend! laugh.gif

Here, you wanna have some fun? Go listen to the original album premier for A Farewell to Kings that was broadcast a week before the album's release. The host, while trying not to offend Geddy, pretty much starts right off saying WTF is this? This doesn't sound like Rush, aren't you worried about the reaction the fans will have to this?

http://www.rushvideoarchive.com/mp3s/misce...us%20audio.html

Now of course AFTK is one of those albums from when Rush was "perfect" like they could never be again. Give me a break. This has been going on since their second album and it happens with all bands that have long careers.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 22 2012, 10:01 AM)

You see, that's just making me horny.

I will not get excited. Too many let downs the last 20 years.