The orchestra thing

Karena

I think the fact that nothing about an orchestra has even been hinted at in any of the recent interviews is a huge sign that they are not even considering this option. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 24 2012, 07:00 PM)
I think the fact that nothing about an orchestra has even been hinted at in any of the recent interviews is a huge sign that they are not even considering this option. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen.

You never show your hand when playing poker!

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Joesaracer @ May 21 2012, 02:50 PM)
The ticket prices skyrocketed from last tour to this upcoming tour.

One guess is that there might be extra musicians to pay. Who knows? Could be anything.

Fuel prices.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 24 2012, 09:57 PM)

One guess is that there might be extra musicians to pay. Who knows? Could be anything.

Fuel prices.

Yep, fuel prices, as well as the fact that every year that passes they become more like elder statesman (and some say even more popular) whose audience can afford to pay more.

Honestly, it's not all about us. It's about them as well. They have been performing on tours for almost 40 years. Would it really hurt that much for you to listen to a few songs that perhaps they have never performed live like Losin' It or to hear Manhattan Project with a live strings or listen to a variation of another song? I don't think anyone is saying the whole show would be with strings. Just a small portion, probably after the CA segment is done.

If they want to try something different, then I'm along for the ride. That willingness to be different, to experiment, is why I'm still on the journey that started in 1981. I don't want to hear the same old songs. Closer to the Heart ? Yawn. Closer to the Heart with a string arrangement mixed in some how? Now you've got my attention. In fact I remember when they first started doing that little jam at the end of Closer to the Heart. It was awesome. Why? Because it was different, fresh, fun.

When I go to a show, I want to hear things; songs, sounds, arrangements, that I haven't heard before live. Tom Sawyer. Ugh. Not again.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 23 2012, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 23 2012, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 23 2012, 11:35 AM)
Honestly, you guys are the most closed minded people. Why on Earth would you NOT see a Rush show just because they might decide to bring along an orchestra? I have read your arguments but honestly they are all lame excuses.

Because it would suck.

Not!

Funny, your argument doesn't even qualify as an excuse.

I really, really don't see that happening...and if it were, I can't even imagine it being kept a tight, dark secret. It would likely be advertised by, at least, the promoter.

Many bands needing orchestra accompaniment tend to hire local talent, even if it is as small as a chamber orchestra to a string trio.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 24 2012, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 24 2012, 07:00 PM)

You never show your hand when playing poker!

dazed025.gif

They have nothing to gain by not telling us. They have absolutely no reason to keep something like this a "secret".

QUOTE (troutman @ May 21 2012, 09:11 PM)
Well,

If it happens great. If not, that's great also. Rush is who they are, very unpredictable. That's what makes them a legend in the music world! 1022.gif 2.gif trink38.gif

Amen!

After hearing Clockwork Angels in its Entirety, and hearing how the strings work throughout the album, I say we will at least get a String Section. The album is a masterpiece and deserves the full treatment LIVE! The songs will not be the same without it!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 6 2012, 09:09 PM)
After hearing Clockwork Angels in its Entirety, and hearing how the strings work throughout the album, I say we will at least get a String Section. The album is a masterpiece and deserves the full treatment LIVE! The songs will not be the same without it!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Ain't happening. They would have mentioned it in the tour announcement and they have an established history of considering and rejecting the idea of bringing in other musicians to the live show.

how ridiculous is it that people would sell their tickets if they trotted out a small string section for 2 or three songs THAT INCLUDED STRINGS ON THE ALBUM! I mean really people, are you so effing single minded that you cannot accept something other than electric guitars as part of the experience.

Punks

I wouldn't sell my ticket if the would play with orchestra. Never ! But ! Hopefully they will "play" orchestra part as a sample played from pedals like happend before. For example on HYF tour wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 6 2012, 11:35 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 6 2012, 09:09 PM)

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Ain't happening. They would have mentioned it in the tour announcement and they have an established history of considering and rejecting the idea of bringing in other musicians to the live show.

^THIS

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 6 2012, 11:09 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I still say no.

I'm fine with taking the samples over the orchestra, personally.

Ben Mink !! yes!! that would be awesome...now if there is extra musicians,such as violins cello's...should i sit down or stand up?

could someone start a thread,please...got ya!! just kidding!!!!!!

I actually can see them placing a small string section (5-6 musicians max) on a riser behind Geddy, but only for the songs required.

I don't think they'll have string players playing with them for "Limelight" or "Tom Sawyer". That would be suicide for them.

But I personally feel that if they wanted to do an orchestra thing, do it in Toronto at Massey Hall with a real orchestra. Announce it ahead of time as a special one or two night thing, and sell tickets for that. Don't drag it on the road with you and make ALL your fans have to sit through it. Only make the people who want to pay to see it sit through it.

If they really wanted to do the orchestra thing big time, save it for another solo album or something. Don't make it a Rush thing.

Just don't let Alex make it "Victor II". That....I just don't know what I'd do if I saw that....

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 01:33 AM)
Rush should tour with a jazz band and do all their songs in a big band style, with an encore of new tracks from their forthcoming album, Feedback II: A Tribute To Count Basie.

rofl3.gif

I really doubt they will but I've warmed to the idea over the past few months (read: I used to loathe the idea; now I'm indifferent to it) popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 01:34 PM)
I really doubt they will but I've warmed to the idea over the past few months (read: I used to loathe the idea; now I'm indifferent to it) popcorn.gif

At least you're open minded. Most people cringed when they announced they had recorded with a string section. Now look how good this album came out. It would be no different Live! Probably Better. Besides they might play songs they haven't ever or haven't played in a long time!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

If they do tour with an orchestra, then I hope they do it in a similar way Dream Theater did on their Score DVD albeit with a very small orchestra; have a majority of the show without an orchestra, but save a small portion (like at least 4 or 5 songs) near the end of the 2nd set with the orchestra.

Other than that, I can't really see the possibility of them doing an ENTIRE tour with an orchestra. Depending on if the venue could house an orchestra or if they were to shoot a DVD at a place like Radio City Music Hall or even...the Gibson Amphitheater, then I could picture an orchestra playing with the band.

Some people need to understand Rush recorded no songs with an Orchestra

They've only used a String Quartet

THIS IS AN ORCHESTRA

http://salemchamberorchestra.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/feature_orchestra.jpg

This is a string quartet

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/fromthetop/media/204/204-the-ridere-string-quartet.jpg

An orchestra Rush show would probably be one special event not an entire tour.

QUOTE (Flying Finn @ Jun 7 2012, 06:32 AM)
They will use samples. No orchestra and rightly so.

Well, yeah, but only if they do not play Losing It. That must be done with none other than Ben Mink. I doubt they would pay him to do the tour to only play on one song, however.