Why No Standing??!!!

I feel a rant coming on...

ranton.gif

Why are the majority of Rush's shows all seated? I mean SERIOUSLY, who in the front blocks actually sits down in a Rush show?? You can see it on the Cleveland DVD there is NO ONE sitting in any of the front sections. Would it be so difficult to put out general admission standing tickets for the floor area (like for the vast majority of rock gigs I've been to)? That way the earlier you get to the venue the better place you'll have - simple! The whole system of booking seats online and it being left pretty much to a combination of luck and who has the fastest server annoys me to no end. I really think we as fans deserve better than that!

rantoff.gif

Apologies for the bitter tone - I know I'm not going to be winning any awards for positivity here, but I feel it has to be said. Imo if you want to sit down at the front row of a Rush show, you've come to the wrong gig! 1287.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Admission sucks.

I don't need some roidhead crawling up my back, thrusting his fist in front of my face and spilling his overpriced beer on me all night long.

Reserved seating is the way to go.

Good points in your rant - In Germany there was never ever a Rush show where the floor section was seated and that's absolutely fantastic. This time it's the first Tour they're offering 'Front of stage' standing tickets and standard standing in the back of the hall. New ways to make more money. Good luck for the coming ticket rush. wink.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 16 2012, 12:36 PM)
General Admission sucks.
I don't need some roidhead crawling up my back, thrusting his fist in front of my face and spilling his overpriced beer on me all night long.

+1

I don't like general admission because someone can decide to shove you from your optimal viewing spot. Personally, I would never want to mosh at a Rush concert. The problem is the people who actually give out threats to other people who don't stand. I had great seats last year and my friends and I were threatened by this huge (as in, almost football player tank size build) guy and his orange girlfriend who sat next to us. I was furthest so I got away with it but this 50 year old man behind me started complaining too. Out of respect for my elders I told him it is a rock concert and if I could have gotten good floor seats I would have. Basically speaking I didn't give a f*ck and sat down only for the drum solo. When he threatened to call security I told him if security threw me out for standing he could have my ticket.

Seating is great because I can say, this spot is mine, don't shove me from it. It sucks because of assholes like that who can't see while sitting at a gorram rock concert.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 16 2012, 11:36 AM)
General Admission sucks.

Agreed.

Also it would be cool if everyone sat in their seats. Its much easier to air drum properly from the seated position. Even my highly developed, manly calfs fatigue from playing the kick and hihat while standing for 3 hours.

Any numbnut can flail his hands around in the air during one of Neil's fills. I demand as much of myself in my air drumming performance at a Rush concert as Neil does of his performance. If the guy behind me sees me miss a note because I have to shift my weight to rest my right foot, then I don't need to tell you what my wife has to put up with out of me for the next month.

Please people, the seats are there for a reason!

General Admission sucks.

I definitely agree that the seats being there are better than GA. That is for damn sure.

However, with that said...I love to stand at shows. To me, the seats are just there to keep an organized order of rows! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 16 2012, 12:53 PM)
Seating is great because I can say, this spot is mine, don't shove me from it.

goodpost.gif

That's basically exactly what I stated in my first post above. The seats are fantastic to give you a set, designated area. What you do there (sit, stand, or kneel) is up to you. yes.gif

I've never heard once of prat,

dirk, and lerxt so say...

man-o-man...what a show what

a show..."that sitting crowd"

really pumped us up an extra

notch.

imagine hearing Geddy say

at the next show to be filmed.

"thanks a lot you guyz...ya'll

were the best F*cking SIT down

crowd we've played to"

na--I dont think so. it will be

"dam, you guyz...yall have been

the F*cking Rowdiest Rocking

crowd we've played for -- thanks

you very kindly and hope see you

again sometime. bye, bye

-------------------------------------

i do beleive having a secure seat

for a RUSH show is the wisest. but

only for security purposes of keeping

some sort of peaceful STANDING grid.

-----------------------------------------

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:05 PM)
General Admission sucks.

I definitely agree that the seats being there are better than GA. That is for damn sure.

However, with that said...I love to stand at shows. To me, the seats are just there to keep an organized order of rows! biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, I don't sit during the show.

But I like having my little reserved space which is MINE.

Although at strategic times between songs I will sit down for 10-15 seconds just to relieve the pressure on my poor back.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 16 2012, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:05 PM)
General Admission sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't sit during the show.

But I like having my little reserved space which is MINE.

Although at strategic times between songs I will sit down for 10-15 seconds just to relieve the pressure on my poor back.

I agree.

I got kicked in the head twice at a Streetlight Manifesto concert. Anybody else been kicked in the head at ska shows?

Come to think of it, this explains a lot about me.... wacko.gif

There used to be a time i would NEVER sit at RUSH shows. Now though, I take a load off during the slow ones.

But, yeah, guy behind me? I'm standing for most of it...its a ROCK CONCERT...I'm gonna stand up and dance and jump around and generally be demonstrative. Deal with it.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 16 2012, 01:45 PM)
There used to be a time i would NEVER sit at RUSH shows. Now though, I take a load off during the slow ones.

But, yeah, guy behind me? I'm standing for most of it...its a ROCK CONCERT...I'm gonna stand up and dance and jump around and generally be demonstrative. Deal with it.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 16 2012, 07:09 PM)
Standing in Dublin last year. It was effing brilliant.

+1 new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ May 16 2012, 12:12 PM)
The Who-Cincinnati....that's why.

goodpost.gif

Bingo. The Who tragedy started the end of general admission, the no-smoking rules, no open flames/ bic lighters, etc.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 16 2012, 02:32 PM)

goodpost.gif

Bingo. The Who tragedy started the end of general admission, the no-smoking rules, no open flames/ bic lighters, etc.

Hmm...just looked that up. I had no idea...had never heard of this.

Very sad. That's why reserved seating is very important.

I for one, have no desire to be in General Admission personally.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:36 PM)

goodpost.gif

Ah to be young E.D. laugh.gif I remember it like yesterday . Very sad story . I remember they showed pix on the news the next day , what a mess

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 16 2012, 01:45 PM)
There used to be a time i would NEVER sit at RUSH shows.  Now though, I take a load off during the slow ones. 

But, yeah, guy behind me?  I'm standing for most of it...its a ROCK CONCERT...I'm gonna stand up and dance and jump around and generally be demonstrative. Deal with it.

trink39.gif

^ this entitled attitude is appalling and hostile

it's the #1 reason I will only buy front row tickets (in any of the upper seating areas)

if you want to stand, buy a seat on the floor - it's expected there

you wouldn't accept it if someone decided they wanted to hold up their homemade Rush banner in the row in front of you all night, would you?

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:36 PM)

goodpost.gif

Ah to be young E.D. laugh.gif I remember it like yesterday . Very sad story . I remember they showed pix on the news the next day , what a mess

laugh.gif

True enough...looks like it happened in '79. I wasn't yet on this Earth...lol.

But yeah, I can imagine. Very sad.

Never understood why people have to stand. At 5'5" I can't see if everyone stands. If everyone sits, everyone can see. Rush have stated in interviews that they much prefer reserved seating, and often require it in their contract. I have no problem if they want to make a mosh area for a limited number of people at the very front, but I want to pay attention to the show and see them playing, see the video & lights, and this all suffers if people stand up in front of me. Been to every Toronto show since 1981, a couple in Montreal and one in Ottawa. Never had to stand until the Vapor Trails tour and only two or 3 times since then. In 1981 security made people sit down after the first song.