Riff-Mag.com Review

Snaked

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. While the albums have gotten increasingly more guitar-heavy over the past 20 or so years, he's not exactly been soloing to the degree many would like/prefer. Geddy and Neil almost always deliver and appear to be doing so again is spades this time. Nice to see Lifeson not being over-shadowed a ton.

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ May 11 2012, 08:09 AM)
Im stoked for this album knowing that Alex lifeson is more in the front and his return to awesome guitar solos and maybe a return of his classical acoustic sound. Im more excited to hear all alex's work on this album

That's exactly where I'm at, too. As I've said several times I couldn't care less about what they say is good or not good, I just enjoy reading about what kinds of songs they are and what kinds of instruments are used and so on. It's still nice that they're all consistently very positive and have mentioned how good it sounds sonically as well. But yeah, comments about how great the title song is or how boring Wish Them Well is won't have any effect on me when I finally get to hear them and decide for myself.

I'm probably extremely alone on this, but I hope the strings and orchestrations aren't "too much". I was never really much of a fan of the string arrangements on past Rush songs like Nobody's Hero and such.

Just my personal taste, but I would have preferred any "orchestrations" to come from Geddy dusting off his various old Oberheim synths, or even using a Mellotron again (which of course sounds "orchestra-y", but Mellotrons have a special sonic character all their own) -- though I did catch Nick's mention of Geddy's continued use of Taurus pedals on this album - yay! I hope his Moog Little Phatty makes an appearance or two too.

Are there strings on Nobody's Hero? I'll have to go back and listen. I really don't think you have to worry about this sounding like classical music or anything. It should impart the same character as atmospheric keyboards but just warmer and more natural.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 11 2012, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 11 2012, 06:50 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 11 2012, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 11 2012, 06:11 AM)
any more of these reviews and i'll know the album so well i wont bother buying the cd, honestly i never known anything like this in all my years.... the wait and build-up for this album has been ridiculous and un freakin necessary

We've just become spoiled with leaked albums. Used to be you'd sit around and hear nothing until a single...and then album came out. I like reading the reviews. Gets me excited.

point taken

but the wait is still frustrating to say the least after just about three years of it sad.gif

Imagine where we would be withou the reviews, or Forums, or Youtube or the internet! We would be depending on.....

RADIO!

Probably be burned out on "Headlong Flight" by now, becuase tey play it eveyday followed by in a very deep voice: "Alright! That's new RUSH there! The song is "Headlong Flighht" the album is "Clockwork Angels" comes out on June 12th. I can wait for this one, how about you Johnny?"

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Radio playing new RUSH on a heavy rotation??

I guess that truly is looking at the future from the past!! tongue.gif

Well i notice that all the reviews that has come out none of them even remotely made this part an issue...you would think that maybe one of them would say ahhhh if only they took out those stringed arrangement it would me a better song, but no its like a none issue....sorry for my rambling on

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ May 11 2012, 09:13 AM)
Well i notice that all the reviews that has come out none of them even remotely made this part an issue...you would think that maybe one of them would say ahhhh if only they took out those stringed arrangement it would me a better song, but no its like a none issue....sorry for my rambling on

Pretty much. If the guy from Metal Hammer didn't even complain about strings then they couldn't be too overdone. laugh.gif

yeah cant say rush and strings are the perfect marriage for me either, was hoping for much more of the beautiful keyboards evident in bu2b but, if the guys wanna play around with em i'm cool with that and will wait to hear the results with usual optimism Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ May 11 2012, 09:54 AM)
I'm probably extremely alone on this, but I hope the strings and orchestrations aren't "too much".  I was never really much of a fan of the string arrangements on past Rush songs like Nobody's Hero and such.

Just my personal taste, but I would have preferred any "orchestrations" to come from Geddy dusting off his various old Oberheim synths, or even using a Mellotron again (which of course sounds "orchestra-y", but Mellotrons have a special sonic character all their own)  -- though I did catch Nick's mention of Geddy's continued use of Taurus pedals on this album - yay!  I hope his Moog Little Phatty makes an appearance or two too.

No you're not alone on this! I cringed when I read that Caravan now has strings flying all over the place. Not what I want to hear on a song I'm already acustomed to hearing!

no.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 11 2012, 11:54 AM)
I'm probably extremely alone on this, but I hope the strings and orchestrations aren't "too much".  I was never really much of a fan of the string arrangements on past Rush songs like Nobody's Hero and such.

Just my personal taste, but I would have preferred any "orchestrations" to come from Geddy dusting off his various old Oberheim synths, or even using a Mellotron again (which of course sounds "orchestra-y", but Mellotrons have a special sonic character all their own)  -- though I did catch Nick's mention of Geddy's continued use of Taurus pedals on this album - yay!  I hope his Moog Little Phatty makes an appearance or two too.

No you're not alone on this! I cringed when I read that Caravan now has strings flying all over the place. Not what I want to hear on a song I already have become acustomed to hearing!

no.gif

What's the problem? You still have the original version you can substitute in there. Production might be slightly different though. I think the string parts will add to the songs and I totally welcome it. They help set atmosphere much like keys do and add to the goosebump factor if done right. We will see but I think string parts will really add to the record in addition to making it a unique record in the Rush catalog. There have been strings before but not to this extent. 2.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 11 2012, 07:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 11 2012, 07:50 AM)
I'm rapidly realizing here that no matter how many reviews I read, I'm still going to have to decide for myself what I think of this album when I FINALLY get to hear the damn thing already.  At this point, no one's words are really giving me any indication of whether I'll like the songs I haven't heard yet or not.  b_sigh.gif

Well no, but the nice thing is that you can glean from these breakdowns so far is how the songs sound, what instruments are used, that this song is riff-driven or percussion-driven, has some "weird" middle section, etc. Those bits aren't like hearing the song, naturally, but we know a bit more about what to expect from the songs....and I don't mean qualitatively either. Who knows if you'll agree with this opinion or that...

I appreciate what you're saying, but it still doesn't mean much to me until I hear it. I mean, yeah, it gives me a vague idea as to the logistical aspects of a song per someone's interpretation, but as to whether all that stuff tells me whether I'm likely to like or love a song or not - not really, and that's what I care about. I find it 20% interesting, 80% frustrating.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 11 2012, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 11 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 11 2012, 11:54 AM)

No you're not alone on this! I cringed when I read that Caravan now has strings flying all over the place. Not what I want to hear on a song I already have become acustomed to hearing!

no.gif

What's the problem? You still have the original version you can substitute in there. Production might be slightly different though. I think the string parts will add to the songs and I totally welcome it. They help set atmosphere much like keys do and add to the goosebump factor if done right. We will see but I think string parts will really add to the record in addition to making it a unique record in the Rush catalog. There have been strings before but not to this extent. 2.gif

I agree.

I totally welcome the change. Like I said before, the biggest reason I was hoping for re-recorded versions of these is the fact that we already have the originals, plus...it would be like getting a WHOLE new album experience.

If you end up hating it...just substitute the originals. I actually consider Caravan the 'weakest' of the three (though I still love it), so any changes to it would be great!

BU2B is my favourite track...love it. But again, the idea of it getting strings/acoustic intro with 'warped' vocals sounds really cool IMO.

Did one of the reviewers say "warped vocals" on BU2B? I must have missed that. What does that even mean?

Edit: Oh.....I remember now. On the intro. I was thinking warped vocals in the actual song. My bad. confused13.gif

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 11 2012, 03:13 PM)
Don't miss understand me, there's no problem. I love Stings, Orchestras and Choirs. Hell , I'm in one and we perform with Orchestra all the time! Anyway, I agree with you. I'm just saying that its going to be something I will have to get used too after getting used to the first! Caravan with Strings, at first its going to sound wierd, then i'll probably end up liking it more than the original!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

http://i.imgur.com/1ChCq.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/LMY9G.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/bddxi.jpg

??????