Yet another full album review

Joesaracer

Wow this sounds like quite an album. I sure am glad that Caravan got a new mix and BU2B has a new intro. Perhaps I will like them more now. I was just annoyed at getting two songs that were verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus. Headlong Flight, while somewhat sticking to that formula, had more of an original feel to it. The riff wasn't as pathetic as the other two either.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see this review is more objective. Looks like The Wreckers and Wish Them Well are the weakspots. Still...I'm REALLY interested in hearing Alex's riff on Carnies. Both reviews have given it unanimous praise.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ May 9 2012, 02:48 PM)
Wow this sounds like quite an album. I sure am glad that Caravan got a new mix and BU2B has a new intro. Perhaps I will like them more now.

I'm generally quite the fan boy, but neither of those songs, the original cuts anyways, did much for me.

Maybe that is why i spend a couple years having somewhat low hopes for this album, but now reading some of the reviews, and hearing Headlong Flight, which is a *very* solid track, I'm giddy with anticipation.

Maybe they can even spruce up the two old tracks so some people will enjoy them more. Doubt it though.

I am excited about the piano and strings. Also, some reviews say that Ged's voice sounds good so I'm glad that his voice still holds up.

My only concern is the fact that CA might have too many overdubs. As close as they can get to a stripped down sound, the better. I would be happy with one guitar track, one bass track, one drum track, one vocal track, and one synth track... but I doubt that will ever happen.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 9 2012, 12:09 PM)
The promising thing is as good as HF is none of the reviewers have it as the best song or anything.

As emotiondetector said, that means nothing. When you hear it all HF may be your favorite on the album. Or it may be your least favorite. Think about it, we've heard from only 3 people who have heard all (or most) of it and just within a range of only 3 people the same song has been called the best and the worst on the record. It's pointless to set your hopes on what someone else says is better or worse and you're almost guaranteed to be let down if you go in with any preconceptions. I promise you when I listen to the album for the first time I'm not going to get near the beginning of Wish Them Well and think "Oh, here comes a bad one", those comments have no effect on me at all. Take the substantive descriptions out of the reviews and ignore the good/bad opinions and you'll be best off.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 9 2012, 01:09 PM)
The promising thing is as good as HF is none of the reviewers have it as the best song or anything.

Good sign for me. The review sounded good. Sounds like at least on a bunch of the songs they are getting away from writing the standard issue rock songs they've been doing for so long now and getting back to more no rules adventurous song writing that originally made them so great.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 9 2012, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 9 2012, 01:09 PM)

Good sign for me. The review sounded good. Sounds like at least on a bunch of the songs they are getting away from writing the standard issue rock songs they've been doing for so long now and getting back to more no rules adventurous song writing that originally made them so great.

I'm intrigued too to hear what that will sound like but at the same time I don't really view that as something that's necessarily an improvement. A song like Subdivisions is structured about as traditionally as you can get with the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/outro format and I never hear it and think "I wish they would have gotten rid of the chorus and just put a 10 minute meandering jam in the middle". I think it's brilliantly written as is and they've done tons of terrific songs like that. A great song is a great song to me.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2012, 02:08 PM)
Ok we've got the MusicRadar one and the Digital Fix, where's the other one?

confused13.gif

Are you asking me? I was talking about likeclockwork who has been giving us insider feedback on the record for many weeks.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 9 2012, 03:14 PM)

confused13.gif

Are you asking me? I was talking about likeclockwork who has been giving us insider feedback on the record for many weeks.

Well I'm hearing, "yet another review of Clockwork Angels", which must mean at least three, otherwise it would be "another review if Clockwork Angels" you dig?

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2012, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 9 2012, 03:14 PM)

confused13.gif

Well I'm hearing, "yet another review of Clockwork Angels", which must mean at least three, otherwise it would be "another review if Clockwork Angels" you dig?

Ah, you mean like "make the same mistake twice" which in reality means you've made it three times. You make a mistake. Then you make the same mistake. Then you make the same mistake twice, which is the third time. laugh.gif

I wasn't aware that a song being fast-paced meant it qualified as "punk," but again, the specific technical details are more important than the reviewer's opinion, and like the last one, it's all extremely promising. The fact that he openly called one song a filler track is at least proof that not all of these early reviewers are paid off by Roadrunner.

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ May 9 2012, 03:22 PM)
I wasn't aware that a song being fast-paced meant it qualified as "punk," but again, the specific technical details are more important than the reviewer's opinion, and like the last one, it's all extremely promising. The fact that he openly called one song a filler track is at least proof that not all of these early reviewers are paid off by Roadrunner.

I know that some reviews can be biased one way or the other because some people go in either loving Rush or hating them but are people seriously that paranoid that they think that Roadrunner literally sent someone a copy with a check to bribe him to say good things? That's just nuts. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 9 2012, 05:30 PM)
I really hope the strings haven't replaced the fluttery keyboards in BU2B. I love those parts. sad.gif

Me too! Love those keys. It's cool that there are strings now, but I hope they left those keys in.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 9 2012, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ May 9 2012, 03:22 PM)

I know that some reviews can be biased one way or the other because some people go in either loving Rush or hating them but are people seriously that paranoid that they think that Roadrunner literally sent someone a copy with a check to bribe him to say good things? That's just nuts. wacko.gif

If they send me a check I will right a positive review the likes they have never seen before. 653.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 9 2012, 04:30 PM)
I really hope the strings haven't replaced the fluttery keyboards in BU2B. I love those parts. sad.gif

yep. if anything i would hope that the keys were brought up in the mix.

QUOTE (gedfan @ May 9 2012, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 9 2012, 04:30 PM)

yep. if anything i would hope that the keys were brought up in the mix.

I just love those fluttery keys and I too want them louder! They add so much depth and emotion!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 9 2012, 02:09 PM)

Agreed...BUT, remember...your favourite song might not be my favourite, which might not be the reviewer's favourite.

It's all so subjective. I learned that after realizing that my total love for songs like Neurotica and Virtuality is not exactly shared amongst the majority of Rush fans. laugh.gif

Love those two!! Virtuality is jammin!