4:50 Radio Edit of Headlong Flight

bennyX

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 23 2012, 03:58 PM)
Anyone who says this butchered version is better is on crack yes.gif

No, we just prefer songs that have a strong structure than something that was so obviously written as an instrumental and comes off as a disjointed mess.

Like that other guy said, the song just makes more sense this way. The middle is so forgettable to me that I actually think its a much stronger song without all that.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 23 2012, 06:55 PM)
Anyone who says this butchered version is better is on crack  yes.gif

No, we just prefer songs that have a strong structure than something that was so obviously written as an instrumental and comes off as a disjointed mess.

Like that other guy said, the song just makes more sense this way. The middle is so forgettable to me that I actually think its a much stronger song without all that.

Agree, this version is a little better....

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 23 2012, 07:55 PM)
Anyone who says this butchered version is better is on crack  yes.gif

You ever feel like that guy in the High School cafeteria that nobody wants to sit with? rofl3.gif The haters of HF(and other two CA songs) are like that small little table waaayyy over in the corner. yes.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 23 2012, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (brunosamppa @ Apr 23 2012, 11:15 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-NCNS-x1s

1022.gif

Yeah I like this version a lot more. A lot of the pointless filler in the middle is gone now and it feels more like a cohesive song.

What you call pointless filler many others call a cool Rush jam.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 23 2012, 01:04 PM)
And anyone who says that doesnt sound like a Kirk Hammett solo is freaking crazy. If someone told me he guest starred for that solo I would totally believe them. In the past Alex rarely shredded like that with the wah, which is something Kirk does a LOT.

That does not sound like a Kirk Hammett solo. And I'm not being a smartass, and I'm not freaking crazy. Wah + lots of notes does not = Kirk Hammett.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 23 2012, 08:48 PM)
We're on a Rush message board. What do you expect?

Personally, I expect the large majority of the members of this Rush message board to be rational and positive, as they are FANS of the band and their music.

Of course, you always have the option of creating your own website/discussion board, where all opinions on Rush are required to be negative. Perhaps you should do that, rather than come here and attempt to force everyone to be as miserable as you are....

fing.gif fing.gif fing.gif

I actually agree with Trenken on this one.

The radio edit is just so much more cohesive. I'm normally against cutting songs down for radio play or otherwise, but in this instance it just feels right. Headlong Flight is kind of a mess from a compositional standpoint. Parts lead into each other seemingly at random and things repeat for no truly good reason throughout the whole song. Basically, the song doesn't flow. The radio edit did cut down on that dramatically.

All that said, I still really like all of the parts in headlong flight, I'm just not the biggest fan of how they were presented. Still a good song and, hopefully, a sign of things to come.

All of the above is purely IMO.

Full version all the way.

The sick groove they play during the spoken word passage is awesome and my favorite part of the jam.

The song is 100% better in it's origianl state.

Filler?

No it's called jamming.

Not every song has to be 4 or 5 minutes.

Rush has plenty of those in the catalog. This is a jam session song and live it is going to be unreal.

They have written far better over the last 40 years.......but it is still a very good tune. I like it a lot. Repeated listens do it lot's of justice, now that I know every section, fill and riff. It all comes together once you understand everything going on.

That last yell by Geddy in the tune (I wish that I could live it all agaaaaaaain) is classic. Just f***ing classic Geddy.

Edited by Todem

Agreed....it's my favorite part of the song too. If anything I could do without returning at the end for another verse go-'round. Had it simply ended after the jam (maybe extend the jam another minute), I'd prefer it. But the jam is not the thing to edit out. Grab a redundant verse if anything... Edited by Presto-digitation

The only part of the song I find repetitive is at 6:21 when they go back to the clean jangly guitar thing again. I feel they could have just slammed into the chorus again at 6:42 and took it to the end. That's only 20 seconds of music, though, so I'm being kind of nitpicky there.

As for the song sounding slapped together or disjointed, I don't agree. At all. "La Villa" is a far better example of a song with a bunch of random parts slapped together, but since it's more proggy, no one would dare complain about it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 25 2012, 08:55 AM)

As for the song sounding slapped together or disjointed, I don't agree. At all. "La Villa" is a far better example of a song with a bunch of random parts slapped together, but since it's more proggy, no one would dare complain about it.

please, nooo.... dont compare HF in any way with the great La Villa

you cant tell me La Villa a piece of music with a bunch of random parts slapped together no wayyyy

La Villa is genius mann... composed by a higher force

HF's a couple really good artists jammin around for the sake of it going thru the motions even.. its ok but most definitely not genius sent from the gods smile.gif

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 25 2012, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 25 2012, 08:55 AM)

please, nooo.... dont compare HF in any way with the great La Villa

you cant tell me La Villa a piece of music with a bunch of random parts slapped together no wayyyy

La Villa is genius mann... composed by a higher force

HF's a couple really good artists jammin around for the sake of it going thru the motions even.. its ok but most definitely not genius sent from the gods smile.gif

I was in no way bashing "La Villa" there. I love that song. But structurally, it IS a bunch of unrelated pieces of music strung together, held together with a few repeating themes. "Headlong Flight" is much less random, but people are saying otherwise.

I agree...

LaVilla....many random parts put together....

HF...there is definitely a form building throughout....

the difference?

Most people of this board have heard La Villa a million times and HF about 10....hence familiarity.

Frankly left turns and weird moents are what keeps music interesting to me...in ANY style. I can't stand music that I can map out the entire form within the first 10 seconds of a tune.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 25 2012, 10:41 AM)
I don't get these "slapped together" comments. It just doesn't sound that way to me.

me neither. I think it's a pretty cohesive structure and the fact that those 7:20 minutes fly by just proves how well it is written.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 25 2012, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 25 2012, 10:41 AM)
I don't get these "slapped together" comments.  It just doesn't sound that way to me.

me neither. I think it's a pretty cohesive structure and the fact that those 7:20 minutes fly by just proves how well it is written.

I agree...it always flies by. Never feels like 7+ minutes. 1022.gif

You know it takes repeated listens with Rush for it to come together with some of their tunes. HF is not some complex song like La Villa, far from it. It is a great jam song. It does have distinct sections.

The main verse music, the pre chorus riff, the chorus, the solo section, and a sweet rocking bridge.

It's all there. It is fluid. It just takes a few listens to get familar with all the parts, nuances and lyrics.

I don't get filler comments at all with this song. There is no filler at all. Like I said when I heard Caravan when it was released and now Headlong Flight I will say it again.

I have not heard Rush jam like this since Permanent Waves and Freewill. They are really loose, having fun and playing heavy and hard.

Fine with me. I have always preferred the darker side of Rush.

Edited by Todem