This is cool

Gompers

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 20 2012, 02:42 PM)
For once, I would love for an artist to just be like: our new work is good. Not close to our best, but we had fun making it.

No offense...but you're basically telling the band how they should feel.

Just because YOU don't feel that way about their new albums, doesn't mean that THEY don't.

If I wrote an album, and I legitimately felt that it's one of the best things I've written, no matter how late in my career I'm in, or no matter how awesome my past material is, then I'd say it.

Sure...we can all laugh it off like it's nothing more than a selling point, but if they honestly feel that way, then good for them. I believe their feelings are legit. Furthermore, the first three songs have been aces IMO.

No offense taken! Twas just a joke.

I don't want any band to say anything they don't really feel. I was just saying, would be funny to see an artist say: "this is a good album" vs "this is definitely our best work". The latter seems more common when artists make statements about their most recent work.

But no, of course I wouldn't ever want to force anyone to feel the same way as I do - or believe that just because I feel something, others should feel the same way.

tldr; I was just making fun of the old cliche of an artist saying their recent work is definitely their best, or some of their best work. Wasn't specifically aimed at Rush or this release.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 20 2012, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 20 2012, 02:42 PM)
For once, I would love for an artist to just be like: our new work is good. Not close to our best, but we had fun making it.

No offense...but you're basically telling the band how they should feel.

Just because YOU don't feel that way about their new albums, doesn't mean that THEY don't.

If I wrote an album, and I legitimately felt that it's one of the best things I've written, no matter how late in my career I'm in, or no matter how awesome my past material is, then I'd say it.

Sure...we can all laugh it off like it's nothing more than a selling point, but if they honestly feel that way, then good for them. I believe their feelings are legit. Furthermore, the first three songs have been aces IMO.

Twas a joke.

I don't want any band to say anything they don't really feel. I was just saying, would be funny to see an artist say: "this is a good album" vs "this is definitely our best work". The latter seems more common when artists make statements about their most recent work.

But no, of course I wouldn't ever want to force anyone to feel the same way as I do - or believe that just because I feel something, is how others should feel.

trink39.gif

No worries...I actually think that my post came off sounding much more serious and direct than it probably should've sounded.

I just meant in general...there are many people that laugh at the notion that the guys liked RTB, or S&A...and whatnot. We all know music is subjective, and even if it's just the way they felt at the time, they must've believed that songs like Tai Shan, Dog Years, etc. were great enough to be placed on record, no matter how silly fans think they are. laugh.gif

To me, the bottom line is this...so long as they are loving what they are doing, and it continues to fire them up and keep them active this late in their careers, then I'm all for it and glad that they feel this way!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Apr 20 2012, 03:42 PM)
Geddy, Alex and Neil have dropped some turds in their career, Caress of Steel being the biggest

facepalm.gif

Thank you. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Apr 20 2012, 02:42 PM)
This sounds bogus to me. Even if it is legit, who cares? Geddy, Alex and Neil have dropped some turds in their career, Caress of Steel being the biggest, and they've made some very odd choices here and there, so let's wait to hear it for ourselves and make our own judgments.

no you mean s & a.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 20 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Apr 20 2012, 02:42 PM)
This sounds bogus to me.  Even if it is legit, who cares?  Geddy, Alex and Neil have dropped some turds in their career, Caress of Steel being the biggest, and they've made some very odd choices here and there, so let's wait to hear it for ourselves and make our own judgments.

no you mean s & a.

no.gif

Still incorrect.

To be fair, I think all of the new tracks SOUND like they feel it's some of their best work- that is, the energy is so high it comes through in their artistry. Which is way more impressive than anything they could say.

Show, don't tell and all . . .

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Apr 20 2012, 11:11 AM)
Don't they say that about all their new albums?

yes they do. Every album starting with TFE, usually by Neil when he's talking during the writing sessions, is hyped as "some of the best songs we've ever done!"

I understand most artists say that. Like some others here have pointed out, it's not like they're going to say "hey, this new album is sort of half-assed, we really mailed it in when writing, recording and the mix job is a bit screwed up. So basically it's about two good songs and a bunch of filler to pad out the rest of the CD. But please, spend some money and buy it anyway!" biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 20 2012, 12:11 PM)
I remember reading an interview with Geddy after T4E came out and he said it was the best thing they've done since Moving Pictures.

From what I know, Geddy's fav albums are Moving Pictures, Power Windows and Roll The Bones.

And all three don't really care for Presto, Alex mentions it as an album they wish they could re-record.

he's already heard the whole thing courtesy of his friend Nick Raskulinecz. He told me the whole thing is amazing,

Great line, I guess they'll never be able to figure out which one of Nick's friends was allow to listen to the album!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 11:13 AM)

Find me someone who does not

The Ghost of John Rutsey thinks the Fly by Night sucks!

icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 21 2012, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 11:13 AM)

Find me someone who does not

The Ghost of John Rutsey thinks the Fly by Night sucks!

icon_alienjig.gif

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but the ghost of John Rutsey is fing.gif .

Like has been said, bands always think their most recent work is one of their best.

In Contents Under Pressure, Alex said that Vapor Trails (which was their most recent album at the time) was objectively their best work to date. See what I mean?

Geddy really put Roll the Bones in his top three? Yikes. The problems I had with RTB is the same with Presto. The albums were too 'adult contemporary' sounding. I got so tired of Alex's over dubbed acoustic guitar-strums (started with Hold Your Fire), which was his new wimpy way of doing power cords.

I wish Geddy would have added Counterparts instead.

Sure, we've all heard the guys say "Best one yet!" Only difference (maybe) is that we've generally heard that in interviews where they are promoting the album. In this case, it might be a private conversation we've gotten to be a fly on the wall for, where they are not actually selling anything yet.