Owning a house

Janie

UGHHH!

I love our house but there is always something that needs to be taken care of, I swear.

Just now I got off the phone for landscapers (we desperately need a french drain installed in the backyard amongst other things) and roofers (we need more roof vents and the roof itself needs to be cleaned).

And that's just the beginning...

And we moved into a new house. We have had to do so much repair work around here. It is not even funny.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is yes. They are. Don't get me wrong, I like our little townhouse.

But I miss being able to call a landlord and say, "Hey, we've got a leak in the roof/drippy faucet/outlet that suddenly quit working" and the landlord then sends his guy out to take care of it and pays the usually hefty repair bill.

Depends on a number of factors - quality of workmanship, climate... luck. With our house, there's always things that can be done, but we figure out when to get to them. We could probably drop 20 grand on repairs and improvements, but a lot of it would be optional.

We have things actually growing in the gutters on one side of the house right now, that's how long it's been since they were cleaned. Like, 15-inch tall weeds. But I'm not going to hire someone, that's a job I can do myself. Painting, we had the whole house painted (interior) right before we moved in, but from here on out, we'll paint a wall at a time whenever we feel like changing the color. Much, much cheaper. $30-$50 a room.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 26 2012, 04:31 PM)
The answer is yes.  They are.  Don't get me wrong, I like our little townhouse. 

But I miss being able to call a landlord and say, "Hey, we've got a leak in the roof/drippy faucet/outlet that suddenly quit working" and the landlord then sends his guy out to take care of it and pays the usually hefty repair bill.

I miss that sometimes, too. But then I get a call from my friend Allison who tells me that she's getting kicked out of her house again because the landlord is selling it to a developer to get bulldozed so a high rise can get put in. It's happened to her four times in five years. Because what downtown Houston really needs is more high rises eyesre4.gif

As much of a pain as it is sometimes, I like knowing that there ain't nobody that can kick me out of my house... well, under normal circumstances tongue.gif

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 26 2012, 06:41 PM)
And if nothing is broken, then you want to upgrade.  So, yes...I feel your pain.

Oh yes. It was worse when I was working for a builder whose price points started at $900K. I saw so many features I just HAD to have, even though cramming them into a 2000 sf 1.5 story townhome (we got an end unit, so actually have quite a bit of land) would have been. . .challenging.

I did get new granite countertops for about $10/sf, though! And a really cool lockset for the front door and a $300 Moen faucet, both for free because the homeowner decided they didn't want them, and we couldn't return. biggrin.gif

Edited by Mara

Because of our location, we need to have our gutters cleaned twice a year. I actually went a few years without getting the gutters cleaned and when I finally had it done last, the guy spent almost an entire day here (having to cancel other appts). We get a ton of rain and live right next to a heavily wooded area. The leaves get on in there and become all compacted. We need to get a really top notch gutter system because of all the crud.

I need to get the windows cleaned too. It's really gross looking outside! There's a solid layer of scum it looks like.

And this was awesome... last week we had the remainder of our backyard fenced in and when they were installing the large ass cedar poles, they sheered right through a portion of our sprinkler system. It really isn't too big of a deal because I know it's going to be an easy fix (contract says we have to pay for this stuff) plus we need to have a handful of sprinkler heads moved anyway because of where they had to install the fence. If we turned the sprinklers on right now, the back of our new fence would get all the water.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 26 2012, 02:41 PM)
And if nothing is broken, then you want to upgrade. So, yes...I feel your pain.

No kidding! Our washer and dryer are on their last legs.

We need to win the lottery.

Don't even get me started on our heinous foyer and dining room chandeliers that even your ancient grandmother would look at and laugh. I would replace these things myself but the ceilings are wicked high and I need to get scaffolding just to attempt to tackle these brass-plated nightmares.

And why is everything so expensive?

Anyone else tend to distrust contractors?

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 26 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 26 2012, 06:41 PM)
And if nothing is broken, then you want to upgrade.  So, yes...I feel your pain.

Oh yes. It was worse when I was working for a builder whose price points started at $900K. I saw so many features I just HAD to have, even though cramming them into a 200 sf 1.5 story townhome (we got an end unit, so actually have quite a bit of land) would have been. . .challenging.

I did get new granite countertops for about $10/sf, though! And a really cool lockset for the front door and a $300 Moen faucet, both for free because the homeowner decided they didn't want them, and we couldn't return. biggrin.gif

Nice! I want to change our kitchen countertops. We have this incredibly porous stone that is difficult (at best) to keep clean. Makes me wonder why the builders chose this countertop (which is also in the downstairs bathroom) for well-used areas near water.

But then again, these are the same builders who installed carpet in the master bathroom. W... T... F...?

I distrust contractors who tell a woman one thing, and a man another...

don't get me started on my roofer.

Anyway, I was not prepared for all of the work that goes into a house, even though I did a lot of research. My job is so high stress, that I probably should have gone with a condo.

However, I love my gardens, being able to walk down to the basement in my bathrobe, and have dinner on the back porch on a whim.

So, I'll deal with the repair/replace/fix/ touch up stuff, so I can enjoy the rest of it.

Paying a mortgage and occasional home repairs sounds a hell of a lot better than renting a 2500sq ft house. In my neighborhood that'd probably be $2,000 a month rent. $24,000 a year to not actually own anything? I might as well lease a Mercedes S-Class.

Mobile home owner here...

Things down in value faster than a regular home but this is all i could afford at the time. Sometimes i think i should have rented and avoided all the yard work and upkeep. One thing favorable is my money is going towards sometimes I own.

Oh yes. Much as I'd like not to, I'm joining this club...

We have 3 houses to look after; we have 20 acres, a 1940s farmhouse and 2 manufactured homes (okay, mobiles). Hubby and his brother take care of most things but Hubby works and my BIL has a stent (heart attack) so he can't do much in the way of heavy work. Hubby's weekends always have something he has to do. He won't hire anyone, either... well except for friends of my daughter's now and then.

But even if does everything, there are still appliances and the like. Right now we are looking for a second fridge for the pantry/laundry room as the old one leaks. b_sigh.gif Yeah, it's always something....

Before we bought , i thought it would be great , it's a F-n pain in the Ass

they are money pits.

put in a new 40 gallon gas water heater last week. had some help from a buddy. plummer cost to much. saved about 300 bucks with the plummer installing it.

water softener 280 bucks every 2 years to rebuild carbon.

dug up half the yard to replace 20 feet of 6 inch pipe that was rotted. hard part digging up 20 feet 2 feet in depth. easy part putting in new pvc.

tree damage on house or car. damn trees around here suck.

dryer needed a new fuse recently. 120 bucks for that.

it's always something every 4 to 5 months. most stuff i can fix with help.

it's best to try to do it yourself and if you don't want to risk it have a pro do it.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 07:48 AM)
Before we bought , i thought it would be great , it's a F-n pain in the Ass

It is a pain in the ass, but when you write that check, what ever isn't interest goes back to you. And what ever is interest is a write off.

When you rent, that money is gone...forever.

It really never ends Janie **sigh**. My hubby started installing flooring 2 years ago and hasn't even finished the upstairs yet alone laid the slate sitting in the garage for the main floor.

We've taken out a wall to open the house up. Replaced carpet, which is now being replaced with flooring. Had a roof put on and we need a new one as there is a leak somewhere.

Replaced the water heater twice. Painted inside twice and outside once. The sprinkler system has been fixed several times by my hubby only to have it break again each spring. The last two years we've used a hose biggrin.gif

Replaced the heater. Fixed a leak our inspector did not see when we bought the house. Had to tear the whole ceiling out above my staircase to get to that. The remainder of that leak was in the main bath shower and my hubby had to work in the attic above the garage to access that.

A BIG problem is the idiot who owned this house before us. He walled off the basement leaving no room between floors if there is a leak etc. He f**ed up the wiring which cost a bunch to fix when we first moved in 14 years ago.

I need a new roof, windows that I put plastic on each year, washer and dryer are 17 years old...it goes on and on.

NEVER BUY A MODEL HOME THE WORKMANSHIP SUCKS!

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 27 2012, 10:13 AM)
You know what a bigger money pit is? A car.

Are you serious!? An oil change is nothing. Break pads, nothing. Laying down a couple thousand for a lemon does not even come microscopily close to what you sink into a house.

I've been having landscape companies and roofing companies stop by for estimates (landscape = re-work the backyard, roofing = clean and seal). So... turns out we're scraping the landscapers because our roof is in worse condition than we thought. Our house was built in 2000, we're first owners and the roof is extremely cheap cedar shake. I knew it was in bad shape but I was hoping a good cleaning would be all that it needed.

It's a wonderful experience to realize you need to plunk down vacation money for a good quality cedar shake roof on a 4000 sq/foot house.

Son of a...

Well, let's see. I've lost $70,000 in home value in 7.5 years. I've probably put another $5K into repairs and upgrades, and am getting estimates to replace the deck this week. Probably at least $10K there, then the roof will need replacing in a couple of years, so there goes another $15-20K.

Yeah, it's worth it. wacko.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 27 2012, 09:01 PM)
Wow...I've been renting the same apartment for eleven years this September. I might just stay a little longer now that I hear these stories! ohmy.gif

rofl3.gif

This is like we set you up and... POW! You knocked it outta the park! laugh.gif