The Overrated

Archangel717

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 27 2012, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 26 2012, 09:51 PM)
John Bonham...... Bonzo gets all the praise he gets, and is in no way overrated.

I think he is very Overrated

Oh...Bono is certainly a grade A ass. laugh.gif

I still like their music from 1980-1987, but they're no Budgie. wink.gif

He is talking about John Bonham rofl3.gif

Bono is no Bonzo, he's more of a Gonzo...

laugh.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 27 2012, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 02:07 PM)
John Bonham...... Bonzo gets all the praise he gets, and is in no way overrated.

That would be a negative. Bonzo is one of the greatest rock drummers ever.

IMO , He was not even the Greatest in the 70's

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 01:37 PM)

This is an interesting discussion, because i've heard other drummers say the same thing about him being overrated ( much like Neil , but thats another discussion all together)..

M.D, what is it that makes him overrated in your opinion?..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 27 2012, 01:52 PM)

This is an interesting discussion, because i've heard other drummers say the same thing about him being overrated ( much like Neil , but thats another discussion all together)..

I just think there were much better drummers than Bonzo. I love Zep and i Love Bonzo ,but just because a person is in a Great band does not make Them Great ya know ? Agian, just imo. He did some tasty things but nothing where i sat there like ohmy.gif after some time

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 27 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 27 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Mar 27 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 27 2012, 09:56 AM)
The Beatles?
The Who?
Jethro Tull?
Creedence?
Bob Dylan?
Led Zeppelin?

OVERRATED???

Wow, heavy drug use must be a lot more prevalent than I thought. unsure.gif

The most overrated band ever is easily Nirvana.

goodpost.gif

ohmy.gif wtf.gif Anyone who says the Beatles, the Stones, The Who, CCR, Zep,

and U2 are over-rated are borderline Musically ignorant or Musically insane...it's either one or the other....and it's definitely musical blasphemy!! laugh.gif

But..everyone's entitled to their opinion.

no.gif fing.gif firedevil.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Not in U2's case, they are a media creation through brainwashing, a mediocre joke of a band...

U2 made some great music up to The Joshua Tree. Everything after that is is mediocre and the product of media hype.

Don't be hatin their early stuff just because it isn't metal. wink.gif

Achtung Baby is one of the all time great albums. All That You Can't Leave Behind is excellent as well. I agree that people get a little too whipped up about them though.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 27 2012, 02:29 PM)
I still like their music from 1980-1987, but they're no Budgie.

You like that whale from Carvel too? I love Fudgie the whale. wink.gif

Budgie is another Motorhead for me. They're not overrated in general, but listening to a lot of hard rock/metal people, you'd think they should be mentioned in the same breath as Deep Purple or Black Sabbath.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 27 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Queslington @ Mar 26 2012, 04:57 PM)
The Police (just barely)

What??

HOW?

Well everyone I've ever known think's they are one of the best bands ever, while I think they are not. They're good. Copeland's a good drummer. But all together, I think most of their stuff sounds the same. So since they're not one of the best (but they're pretty cool), they are a tad overrated.

cool.gif

The Beatles are not. Their output is enough to back it up. And honestly I don't think they are even on such a high pedestal. It's not like everyone absolutely praises them...everyone just more or less likes them. And not many bands can have everyone "like" them.

I think The Who and Led Zep are only overrated by their hardcore fans and when they talk about their musical talent/instrumental ability. They talk about all the members as if nothing compares when so easily there are many other musicians that are much more talented. In fact, 2.gif are overrated in that sense. For example, my father thinks Geddy, Alex, and Neil are the three greatest musicians ever when obviously there are better drummers, guitarists, and bassists.

QUOTE (Queslington @ Mar 27 2012, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 27 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Queslington @ Mar 26 2012, 04:57 PM)
The Police (just barely)

What??

HOW?

Well everyone I've ever known think's they are one of the best bands ever, while I think they are not. They're good. Copeland's a good drummer. But all together, I think most of their stuff sounds the same. So since they're not one of the best (but they're pretty cool), they are a tad overrated.

cool.gif

When they were active in the 80s they were miles ahead of everyone else in a lot of ways. I think the legend has just outgrown them, but at the time they were one of the few bands that fought the 1980s age of plastic music.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Mar 27 2012, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 27 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 27 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Mar 27 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 27 2012, 09:56 AM)
The Beatles?
The Who?
Jethro Tull?
Creedence?
Bob Dylan?
Led Zeppelin?

OVERRATED???

Wow, heavy drug use must be a lot more prevalent than I thought. unsure.gif

The most overrated band ever is easily Nirvana.

goodpost.gif

ohmy.gif wtf.gif Anyone who says the Beatles, the Stones, The Who, CCR, Zep,

and U2 are over-rated are borderline Musically ignorant or Musically insane...it's either one or the other....and it's definitely musical blasphemy!! laugh.gif

But..everyone's entitled to their opinion.

no.gif fing.gif firedevil.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Not in U2's case, they are a media creation through brainwashing, a mediocre joke of a band...

U2 made some great music up to The Joshua Tree. Everything after that is is mediocre and the product of media hype.

Don't be hatin their early stuff just because it isn't metal. wink.gif

Achtung Baby is one of the all time great albums. All That You Can't Leave Behind is excellent as well. I agree that people get a little too whipped up about them though.

Yes, U2's great period extends to Achtung Baby, one of the greatest records ever made.

After that, though...it's pretty hit and miss.

I think their live shows have kept up their reputation, more than their studio work.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Mar 27 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 27 2012, 09:03 AM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Mar 27 2012, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 27 2012, 06:08 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 26 2012, 11:10 PM)
It pains me to say this, but I think The Who are hyped up way too much. They had, IMO, 2 great albums, Whos Next and Quadrephenia...I think Tommy is overrated..good , but not great. I get their historical significance , but I just don't think their actual output justifies all the praise.

You're entitled to your own opinion, no matter how wrong it is tongue.gif

On that note...Jethro Tull.

I do not get the appeal at all.

tongue.gif

Well, now you're just f'ing with me. angry.gif

Sorry, my friend.

I can't stand them.

confused13.gif

If anything they are underrated. You don't have to like them to appreciate them. And anyone who beats Metallica out for a Grammy deserves some level of respect...Fred!

moon.gif

Edited by tjtull

I have to agree with the Beatles, the Stones, Nirvana...

and add folks like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc. Okay, yes, great performers/voices?/stage presence, maybe, but is their music really all that good? Probably just a matter of my taste. I know I'm definitely lacking a taste for many female singers from way back right up through today who the rest of the world just flips over, but make me want to cover my ears.

I'm sure they feel the same way about Geddy Lee's voice, and I love it! laugh.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 27 2012, 03:17 PM)

I just think there were much better drummers than Bonzo. I love Zep and i Love Bonzo ,but just because a person is in a Great band does not make Them Great ya know ? Agian, just imo. He did some tasty things but nothing where i sat there like ohmy.gif after some time

Yeah, I was never really a huge Bonzo fan... Gotta agree with MD on this one. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 27 2012, 11:25 PM)

Yeah, I was never really a huge Bonzo fan... Gotta agree with MD on this one. confused13.gif

Technically nit the greatest, but...that foot...was...incredible! And his sense of what not to play is close to unmatched.

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 27 2012, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 27 2012, 11:25 PM)

Technically nit the greatest, but...that foot...was...incredible! And his sense of what not to play is close to unmatched.

His right foot was Great. The Unmatched in what Not to play ? Not so much . imo

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Mar 27 2012, 03:36 PM)
One more band that is not generally overrated, but within hard rock/metal circles certainly is:

Thin Lizzy

Damn Rick , Lizzy and Motorhead ? Your killin me brother confused13.gif

Bonham was a great drummer because of his style which was unmatched during his time and many drummers tried to duplicate him after. He is one of the main reasons for the success of Zep, IMO. He is a heavy grooving drummer who was a master of triplets. Sure he didn't play many odd meters but he had great feel for the music Page was creating. Jones fed off his energy and complimented his style.

Drum Magazine has a great article on him and why is was one of the best. Link

Over-rated? Not a chance. He was a trailblazer and without the power he brought to Zep, many bands today wouldn't be what they are.

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/gear/081010-Jonn-Bonham.jpg

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 28 2012, 08:23 AM)
One more band that is not generally overrated, but within hard rock/metal circles certainly is:

Thin Lizzy

I know MD. I hate to let you down, but I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

For what it's worth, I don't dislike Lizzy, I just don't ever find myself dying to listen to them. Motorhead I don't like though.

I'm sure another thread about old style hard rock/metal will pop up and I'll try to earn your respect back. trink39.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Mar 28 2012, 08:42 AM)

Thin Lizzy

For what it's worth, I don't dislike Lizzy, I just don't ever find myself dying to listen to them. Motorhead I don't like though.

I'm sure another thread about old style hard rock/metal will pop up and I'll try to earn your respect back. trink39.gif smile.gif

I have all the Respect in the world for ya bro trink39.gif Just bustin chops, i do get it about Motorhead . The one thing i say about Motorhead is this , if it was not for them we might not have bands like Metallica or Maiden . If we did , they might sound a bit different

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 28 2012, 07:41 AM)
Drum Magazine has a great article on him and why is was one of the best. Link

Come on Gomp , Drum is like the People of Music magazines laugh.gif They have Travis Barker on the cover every other month rofl3.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 28 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Mar 28 2012, 08:42 AM)

Thin Lizzy

I have all the Respect in the world for ya bro trink39.gif Just bustin chops, i do get it about Motorhead . The one thing i say about Motorhead is this , if it was not for them we might not have bands like Metallica or Maiden . If we did , they might sound a bit different

trink39.gif A fair enough observation my friend.