All the World's a Stage

Saint NIck

Lately, I've been jamming to this; there's something very special about that 2112 tour, and to have those Toronto shows recorded onto disc & tape format.

Exit...Stage Left will always be my fave, but ATWAS is absolute top-notch.

When I attend Saints games in the Superdome, I always bring my Sony Walk-man to listen to the radio broadcast; but before the game and half-time I've been listening to ATWAS.

That raw, powerful intro into Bastille Day gets me charged, then into Anthem, Something for Nothing, 2112 and by all means By-Tor. I've been re-discovering the power of Working Man.

Within the last couple or so years, I've seen footage of that tour, including a performance of The Necromancer on Youtube...making something great even greater.

For those who may be in the know, is there any footage of 'Something', 'By-Tor' and the drum solo available from that tour accessible on video.

Thanks for your time.

Atwas is such a tremendously special and magical album for me. It was a young and confident Rush at an important period for them, evolutionarily-speaking. Their momentum at that time had finally acheived critical mass.. a quantum leap over anything in the past! The music was raw and powerful, yet brilliantly simplistic. The recording quality itself was perfect for what it was, as was the classic venue and its wonderful acoustical quality. On top of it all, it happened to be my first introduction to Rush in the late 70s -at a very important time for me, personally! Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 10 2012, 10:54 AM)
Atwas is such a tremendously special and magical album for me. It was a young and confident Rush at an important period for them, evolutionarily-speaking. Their momentum at that time had finally acheived critical mass.. and that momentum was a quantum leap over anything in the past. The music was raw and powerful, yet brilliantly simplistic. The recording quality itself was perfect for what it was, as was the classic venue and its wonderful acoustical quality. On top of it all, it happened to be my first introduction to Rush in the late 70s -at a very important time for me, personally!

Wow...I kept waiting for some negative, I hate Neil or I hate the new RUSH music to creep into your post! applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Congrats on a post that wasn't just about hating Neil! tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

ATWAS was the first Rush album I bought on vinyl. Found it at my local Goodwill for just 25 cents! There's a spot or 2 on the discs that are scratched and skip for just a moment, but for a quarter, how could I complain?!

It will always be special to me in that respect, though I went on to find many of their earlier albums on vinyl, that was my first Rush vinyl and the best deal I ever got in my life! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Mar 10 2012, 06:54 AM)
ATWAS was the first Rush album I bought on vinyl. Found it at my local Goodwill for just 25 cents! There's a spot or 2 on the discs that are scratched and skip for just a moment, but for a quarter, how could I complain?!
It will always be special to me in that respect, though I went on to find many of their earlier albums on vinyl, that was my first Rush vinyl and the best deal I ever got in my life!  1022.gif

Awesome! 1022.gif biggrin.gif

That album is what made me a 2.gif fan back in 1976. Got it free at a drug store. A friend owed me for helping him out with his Camaro. His mother was the manager there and he told me I could pick out five albums at no charge. I was browsing around and I can still picture my self when I saw the cover of Neil's drum kit. I told my self, I have to have this. The introduction instantly made me a fan. That album will always have a special place in my heart. 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 10 2012, 10:52 AM)
I really enjoyed this album's version of Working Man, and 2112 wasn't bad. But it wasn't really an amazing live album to me. I prefer Exit Stage Left or even Time Machine.

To me ESL is so muffled. I rarely listen to it. The sound of ATWAS will always blow it away. JMO. trink39.gif

Love that album, I recently found two different vinyl releases. Back in the 70's some of the tracks on it I knew better than the sudio versions (alot of people can probably say the same with Kiss Alive! or Frampton Comes Alive, for example).

I'm just unhappy with what Neil has done with the group since he's "assumed control".

This is the dumbest statement I have ever read on any forum.

What is this 1975??????

So you're essentially saying you hate anything the band has done from Fly By Night and on and you would have preferred their career to end with 'RUSH'...Which is what would have happened without Neil. Well they would have done one more album but not with Rutsey.

Lyrically, Neil DID assume control (thank goodness) but not musically.

QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 10 2012, 03:27 PM)
I really enjoyed this album's version of Working Man, and 2112 wasn't bad. But it wasn't really an amazing live album to me. I prefer Exit Stage Left or even Time Machine.

To me ESL is so muffled. I rarely listen to it. The sound of ATWAS will always blow it away. JMO. trink39.gif

Agreed. I hardly ever listen to ESL due to its muffledness and general lack of energy. I vastly prefer the warts and all approach of ATWAS but apparently the band didn't as they went way too far the other way with ESL.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 10 2012, 11:05 PM)
Just out of curiosity, what are your favorite RUSH albums and where did he "lose" you as a fan? 

I can't resist answering this even though I'm not gemini. For me Rush started to go wrong with the release of Feedback. I don't know why they bothered with this and the R30 tour was a total cash grab. They now seem to be in it mostly for the cash as in the last 10 years, they have done 4 major tours supporting only 2 real full length releases, one of which (S&A) was terrible both musically and lyrically IMHO. I do give them credit for doing full 3 hour shows though as I have said in other threads but they have really started losing me the last several years with the constant touring with far too similar setlists and I will be very curious as to how CA will be. If they are going to tour so often with not much new material, they ought to start doing what Iron Maiden does and alternate every tour with a '70s/early 80s setlist and then a setlist of primarily new material.

Edited by Apollo

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Mar 12 2012, 11:06 AM)
I'm just unhappy with what Neil has done with the group since he's "assumed control".

This is the dumbest statement I have ever read on any forum.

What is this 1975??????

So you're essentially saying you hate anything the band has done from Fly By Night and on and you would have preferred their career to end with 'RUSH'...Which is what would have happened without Neil. Well they would have done one more album but not with Rutsey.

Lyrically, Neil DID assume control (thank goodness) but not musically.

While I don't agree with 98% of what GeminiRising79 says, he explained to me his views in PM. While I'm not going to reveal anything he said, I will say I have a better understanding of his views. I wish he'd explain this on TRF because if you take his statements at face value, you may think he is crazy, but trust me, he's not. He just goes over the top in his posts sometimes, and he didn't say this, but IMO, he does this to get the board going. And alot of times, his thread are some of the most fun ones to debate. So while you may not agree with him, as I don't, he has his reasons for his views and makes this place a little more fun. And trust me, I was one of his biggest detractors.

It's my favorite live album from them. The energy they had as a young and hungry band before they got real big was ridiculous. Geddy's vocals were at their absolute best. His singing on What You're Doing is just other worldly. His voice is great all throughout though.

Once they got to ESL I felt like they calmed down a lot since they didn't have anything to prove to anyone. They sound very mellow to me on ESL, tired or something. ESL is still great of course but ATWAS is definitely above that for me.

• Like 1

QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 10 2012, 03:27 PM)

goodpost.gif

Totally agree. For the very reasons you mention ESL is by far my least favorite Rush live album.. It actually probably gets the least play of any Rush album (yes, even less than VT).

All the Worlds a Stage on the other hand is a wonderful album. Power packed and a lot of fun to listen to, of all their live work it is only surpassed by Rush in Rio.

Very, very strong album. Wish I could have seen the band in those days. (just not old enough to go on my own and my family's taste in music did not include Rush)

sad.gif

Exit Stage... Left is basically a greatest hits collection. The could've easily released the album with the studio versions of the songs with the live version of "YYZ" for the bonus drum solo.

Like I posted earlier, All the World's a Stage is the only Rush live album that offers worthwhile live versions of the studio recordings. There's a hunger and energy that is sorely lacking with later live albums. Maybe Rush in Rio...