All Rush all day

Capt starman

So I finally get my Ipod set up the way I want it and had it all planned out to play Rush all day long on the job. Being in the construction field it makes it easy. So I set up the Ipod in the Dewalt radio aux. while I wire this house. Here was the set list for today.Plan on finishing it up tomorrow. About mid-day a carpenter ask me if I was a Rush fan bitchslap.gif No kidding.

1- Fly by Night

2- Caress of Steel

3- 2112 (my favorite)

4- A Farewell to Kings

5- Hemispheres (2nd favorite)

6- Permanet Waves

7- Moving Pictures

8- Signals

9- Hold Your Fire

10-Presto

11-Counterparts

12-Vapor Trails

13-Snakes & Arrows

I admit, I also think there is a limit, no matter the band.....

I tried a Rush road trip once, had a 14 hour drive from Middle Tennessee to Victoria Texas..decided to listen too all the albums in order along the way (and damn near made it, started S&A, but didn't make it halfway through)... even though I trudged through, I was worn out on it by the time I hit the 90s.

http://doulifee.com//Storage/aceatt/Gyakutenprosecutor/ani-godot-cup.gif

Interesting....

The debut album is missing. As is Power Windows...

Edited by Godot

I tried listening to nothing but Dio one day. It's really hard to get through more than 3 or 4 albums. Though listening to Steven Wilson's different bands works. I did do a live album day where I went through about 10-12 live albums in a day. By the last one, I was really forcing my way through it.

QUOTE (Capt starman @ Feb 23 2012, 08:57 PM)
So I finally get my Ipod set up the way I want it and had it all planned out to play Rush all day long on the job. Being in the construction field it makes it easy. So I set up the Ipod in the Dewalt radio aux. while I wire this house. Here was the set list for today.Plan on finishing it up tomorrow. About mid-day a carpenter ask me if I was a Rush fan bitchslap.gif No kidding.

1- Fly by Night
2- Caress of Steel
3- 2112 (my favorite)
4- A Farewell to Kings
5- Hemispheres (2nd favorite)
6- Permanet Waves
7- Moving Pictures
8- Signals
9- Hold Your Fire
10-Presto
11-Counterparts
12-Vapor Trails
13-Snakes & Arrows

I thought about what it would be like if I was driving across country and listened to each album in order. I think it would be interesting to go from album to album and hear the similarities and changes. But I definitely couldn't do it all the time. Need some variety. But that is a cool little way to knock out 2 days! I usually just put it on RUSH and hit shuffle.

One time I did the shuffle thing and I heard Dreamline 3 times in a ROW from 3 different albums, two live versions (Different Stages and R30) and then the album version. That was kinda bizarre...my computer must like Dreamline alot!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 23 2012, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (Capt starman @ Feb 23 2012, 08:57 PM)

1- Fly by Night
2- Caress of Steel
3- 2112  (my favorite)
4- A Farewell to Kings
5- Hemispheres  (2nd favorite)
6- Permanet Waves
7- Moving Pictures
8- Signals
9- Hold Your Fire
10-Presto
11-Counterparts
12-Vapor Trails
13-Snakes & Arrows

I thought about what it would be like if I was driving across country and listened to each album in order. I think it would be interesting to go from album to album and hear the similarities and changes. But I definitely couldn't do it all the time. Need some variety. But that is a cool little way to knock out 2 days! I usually just put it on RUSH and hit shuffle.

One time I did the shuffle thing and I heard Dreamline 3 times in a ROW from 3 different albums, two live versions (Different Stages and R30) and then the album version. That was kinda bizarre...my computer must like Dreamline alot!

Your computer obviously has good taste.

I go thru cycles... Like Almost exclusively Rush on my ipod for weeks. Then a bit of random until something I listen to hits a chord, and then it'll be nothing but the Police or VH or whatever for a week or so.

Seems like pattern is:

Rush - random - other band - random - rush - random - etc, etc

I thought my listening habits were strange until one I learned a couple friends do that exact same thing...

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 24 2012, 10:32 AM)
I go thru cycles... Like Almost exclusively Rush on my ipod for weeks. Then a bit of random until something I listen to hits a chord, and then it'll be nothing but the Police or VH or whatever for a week or so.

Seems like pattern is:
Rush - random - other band - random - rush - random - etc, etc

I thought my listening habits were strange until one I learned a couple friends do that exact same thing...

I am kinda that way myself, but I'm more like: RUSH...other band...RUSH...random band....RUSH...repeat. Then when anything RUSH related comes out it's more like: RUSH....RUSH...RUSH...RUSH...etc! laugh.gif

trink39.gif

1 day a few months back, I listened to RUSH all day

on RUSH radio...I was O.D.'d, by the end of the night....

...But it was flippin' AWESOME!! yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Feb 23 2012, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (Godot @ Feb 23 2012, 09:34 PM)
Interesting....

The debut album is missing.  As is Power Windows...

and GUP, RTB, TFE, and Feedback. Capt starman, do you not like those albums, or are those the ones you're listening to tomorrow?

I do like thoses albums a lot, just not enough time in the day. I was trying to blend in enough play time to span their whole career. So today was the missing albums plus some of my favorites like 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 23 2012, 09:07 PM)
I admit, I also think there is a limit, no matter the band.....

I tried a Rush road trip once, had a 14 hour drive from Middle Tennessee to Victoria Texas..decided to listen too all the albums in order along the way (and damn near made it, started S&A, but didn't make it halfway through)... even though I trudged through, I was worn out on it by the time I hit the 90s.

I guess it was easy for me because I was working while listening. I don't get the chance to do it often, but when I can, I take advantage of it.

QUOTE (Capt starman @ Feb 24 2012, 05:07 PM)

I guess it was easy for me because I was working while listening. I don't get the chance to do it often, but when I can, I take advantage of it.

I'm reading that alot of people here are kinda giving you crap about this and sayin' they could never hear all of those Rush albums in a row. I say you go for it man!! I too get to listen to my iPod at work sometimes for hours in a row and I love listening to entire catalogs of bands, especially Rush. cool.gif

One time I listened to Billy Joel's entire catalogue over the course of a few days. That did get a bit tiring. I can't even imagine doing Rush right now. I think I'd have to deprive myself of them for a while to be able to do their entire catalogue.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 24 2012, 06:21 PM)

I'm reading that alot of people here are kinda giving you crap about this and sayin' they could never hear all of those Rush albums in a row. I say you go for it man!! I too get to listen to my iPod at work sometimes for hours in a row and I love listening to entire catalogs of bands, especially Rush. cool.gif

goodpost.gif

I don't mind people saying they couldn't listen to RUSH all day, that is their opinion and it's valid, but it does get annoying when people give a new member shyt for being excited about RUSH. This is a RUSH forum for the love of God!

I've listened to every Rush album (including live albums) chronologically start to finish a numbers of times over the years.

I've done so for Alice Cooper, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Cheap Trick, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen and Aerosmith as well.

I just did the same for The Beatles (2009 stereo and mono remastered versions) recently.

It is pretty interesting to experience an artist's entire recorded career like that.

It always brings back some great memories of good times, people and places of where I was at various points and how my favourite bands have provided such great soundtracks to my life.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Feb 24 2012, 11:41 PM)
I've listened to every Rush album (including live albums) chronologically start to finish a numbers of times over the years.

I've done so for Alice Cooper, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Cheap Trick, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen and Aerosmith as well.

I just did the same for The Beatles (2009 stereo and mono remastered versions) recently.

It is pretty interesting to experience an artist's entire recorded career like that.

It always brings back some great memories of good times, people and places of where I was at various points and how my favourite bands have provided such great soundtracks to my life.

I've never done that with any band or singer, but I think it would be so cool. If I was driving across the country and I just started at RUSH's debut album and went all the way thru to S&A. (I think I'd leave the live ones out for the trip home cool.gif )

In the past, I'd keep track of when I'd get somewhere by how long the album was I was listening to. So I'd think, I'm "Presto" away from my destination. smile.gif

I had a drive that I used to have to make once a week that took exactly 50 mins highway time if I set my cruise control at 74mph. So I'd pop in Presto as soon as I hit the cc and I knew the CD was almost exactly 50 mins long so my trip would fly. I could just gage how long until I got there by what song I was on. (using the road signs is too easy tongue.gif ) Back then, I knew appox. how long each album was, at least the ones I liked to drive to, and that made a road trip ALOT easier to make!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 24 2012, 10:36 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 24 2012, 06:21 PM)

goodpost.gif

I don't mind people saying they couldn't listen to RUSH all day, that is their opinion and it's valid, but it does get annoying when people give a new member shyt for being excited about RUSH. This is a RUSH forum for the love of God!

Thanks for all the replies. Doing this gave me a chance to capture the many transitions the band went through over the years. The changes they made in themselves and to their music over the past decades.