YYZ beat by The Police

Gilbertk

In 1982, YYZ was nominated for a Grammy for "Best Rock Instrumental" but ended up losing to "Behind My Camel" by The Police. Now.. I'm not saying YYZ should have won because it's more complicated, but 'BMC' was essentially just the same 2 loops repeated over and over.. What on Earth caused them to win the Grammy over YYZ?

I'm hoping there's a better answer than "It was a popularity contest." I really want to understand why they won over Rush.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 7 2012, 06:37 PM)
It was a popularity contest.
Sorry.

goodpost.gif

As a Techno/Trance music producer and artist, this post is great!

Most Trance/Techno is very repetative...but is it popular...yes!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 7 2012, 07:37 PM)
It was a popularity contest.
Sorry.

goodpost.gif You didn't know that the Grammy's were a popularity contest?

Even the fact that RUSH was up for one is amazing to me.

Edited because everytime I use the word were, I put where so I have to fix it as to not look foolish and stupid. wink.gif

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

As egregious:

"Rush lost the Grammy for the Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the pre-telecast Grammy Award ceremony in Los Angeles this afternoon. The song Malignant Narcissism off of their 2007 album Snakes & Arrows had been nominated along with The Ecstasy Of Gold from Metallica, Always With Me, Always With You from Joe Satriani, The Attitude Song from Steve Vai, and the winning entry - Once Upon A Time In The West from Bruce Springsteen. "

Please.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 7 2012, 08:52 PM)
As egregious:

"Rush lost the Grammy for the Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the pre-telecast Grammy Award ceremony in Los Angeles this afternoon. The song Malignant Narcissism off of their 2007 album Snakes & Arrows had been nominated along with The Ecstasy Of Gold from Metallica, Always With Me, Always With You from Joe Satriani, The Attitude Song from Steve Vai, and the winning entry - Once Upon A Time In The West from Bruce Springsteen. "

Please.

Satriani and Vai are bad a**.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 7 2012, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 7 2012, 08:52 PM)
As egregious:

Please.

Satriani and Vai are bad a**.

I think its clear that the winner should have actually placed last.

One I'll never understand, if only because it's probably the worst song The Police ever wrote, and one Sting despised so much he wouldn't participate in any part of it.

Even the song's title is a statement of how much it sucks. You know what's behind your camel? A pile of camel crap.

The other thing I find strange about it is it was released on Zendyatta Mondatta, which came out in 1980. It wasn't even their most recent album at the time (Ghost in the Machine had been out in late '81).

So, it was a year and a half old.... wouldn't it have been too late anyway?

Edited by analog guy

Sting actually did NOT play on Behind My Camel, it's Andy Summers on bass!!! The song was written by Andy, and as someone said here, Sting hated the song and didn't want to take part on it. Stewart and Andy always had each other's backs, and fought Sting to include their songs on certain albums. Stewart mention this in his autobiography, and said he was sick when Sting received the Grammy for this song without even playing on it. Edited by RodrigoAltaf

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 8 2012, 11:13 AM)
Sting actually did NOT play on Behind My Camel, it's Andy Summers on bass!!! The song was written by Andy, and as someone said here, Sting hated the song and didn't want to take part on it. Stewart and Andy always had each other's backs, and fought Sting to include their songs on certain albums. Stewart mention this in his autobiography, and said he was sick when Sting received the Grammy for this song without even playing on it.

Don't you just hate when people take the credit for what's not theirs..?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 8 2012, 08:58 AM)
Sting actually did NOT play on Behind My Camel, it's Andy Summers on bass!!! The song was written by Andy, and as someone said here, Sting hated the song and didn't want to take part on it. Stewart and Andy always had each other's backs, and fought Sting to include their songs on certain albums. Stewart mention this in his autobiography, and said he was sick when Sting received the Grammy for this song without even playing on it.

Of course!!!

By the way, I'm a huge Police fan, but this song does nothing for me. YYZ should have won.

Didn't Rush also lose yet another Instrumental Grammy to Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover? It might have been Where's My Thing?...

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 8 2012, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 8 2012, 08:58 AM)

Of course!!!

By the way, I'm a huge Police fan, but this song does nothing for me. YYZ should have won.

Didn't Rush also lose yet another Instrumental Grammy to Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover? It might have been Where's My Thing?...

Yes, but in that case, it was a fair call. Cliffs of Dover is a fantastic song.