Hemispheres...

Gilbertk

People are always blah blah blahing about how Hemispheres is the best Rush album and I always thought it was kind of silly. I've listened to the whole album but never straight through. Well today while I was filling my taxes I listened to the album from beginning to end and WOW. I won't say it's the best album but man what was I thinking before? What a great solid album!

My eyes have just been opened,

and they're open very wide...

One of my top three albums, I think, but it's also the first album I ever heard from Rush. I never get tired of it! Everytime I hear the 'Hemispheres chord'...

And to me, the album marks the end of the beginning - the last epic-driven album before the transition to Permanent Waves and the more 'modern' Rush sound.

Glad you gave it a chance! smile.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 2 2012, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 2 2012, 05:55 PM)
It is the greastest album on the earth.

That sentence holds true for forever and always.

That is...until TEST FOR ECHO comes along! tongue.gif

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I went back and forth for years in my mind as to what the best Rush album was, but for years my mind has been settled: ITS HEMISPHERES!

Actually, I have of late come to the conclusion that, for me, the best "early years" album of Rush is Hemispheres, while for their "later years" its Power Windows. The latter album has really grown on me over the years and I also had second row center to that tour at Reunion Arena in Dallas in January 1986, so it really captures a moment in my life that is very near and dear to me!

Nothing beats Hemispheres for me however. Their best album and a stone cold classic. Now, if they'd only release it in 5.1 surround on DVD-Audio or SACD, I could die happy!!

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 2 2012, 06:25 PM)

Ha. No.

no.gif

Top 10... maybe.

It is the greatest album on the earth.

fixed

BEST ALBUM EVER

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 2 2012, 04:25 PM)

Cheers!!

Sorry for the typo!

Nonetheless it truly is the greatest album ever made by humans!

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 2 2012, 08:09 PM)
It is the greatest album on the earth.

fixed

BEST ALBUM EVER

Oh shit! Thanks bud!!!!

I just corrected it myself! Glad my post was quoted though!

As an English Major I hate typos! Sometimes my fingers are faster than my "Hemispheres!" laugh.gif

I wish that Rush videotaped all of the "Hemispheres" sessions and put them in the vault.

They can release it on a remastered Blu Ray this year!

Yeah I'm dreaming!

1022.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Feb 3 2012, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 2 2012, 06:25 PM)

That is...until TEST FOR ECHO comes along! tongue.gif

You're on acid.

Right now I have Hemispheres as my #4 Rush album, but sometimes I suspect it might make it all the way to the top.

Right now I have it as:

1. Signals

2. Moving Pictures

3. Permanent Waves

4. Hemispheres

Signals is my sentimental favorite - my very first NEW Rush album as a fan, and it's just remarkably consistent - not a weak second on that album!

Moving Pictures would be #1 by a very long measure if side 2 was as phenomenally perfect as side 1. Even still, the only weakness is the slightly repetitive nature of The Camera Eye, and thematically/lyrically I'm not completely in love with it. Even still it's a great song.

Permanent Waves is another truly great one, but Entre Nous & Different Strings are a little weaker than the rest of it - still, great songs and a phenomenal album.

The only thing that used to keep Hemispheres from rating higher for me was the title track, and lately I've grown to love it more and more and more. Add that to the perfection of side two, and I honestly don't know why I don't rate it higher. Maybe I'm ready to put it at #3, but not higher, at least not yet...

Gilbertk! What have you been waiting for?! Still, you made it in the end! applaudit.gif cool.gif Edited by LyndseyG

trink39.gif

Good for you! Welcome to the ranks of the wise. wink.gif

I have trouble deciding which album i love more; Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. I usually decide on PeW, because The Spirit of Radio is probably one of my top 3 songs ever. if PeW is 1st, and MP is 2nd, 2112 is 3rd, and then perhaps GUP and Hemispheres rank tied at 4th.

im not in love with the 18minute side one, i find that a lot of the musical themes repeat too much in the middle and if we're talking about which is a better Cygnus, Book 1 is better. that being said, Circumstances is one of my favourites and La Villa Strangiato is pure awesome. The Trees is a little odd to me, but my mom likes it for being odd... which is odd... wink.gif

for some reason, i don't find Signals to be as awesome as everyone else... please don't hurt me... LOL unsure.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 3 2012, 04:25 AM)
QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Feb 3 2012, 03:54 AM)

for some reason, i don't find Signals to be as awesome as everyone else... please don't hurt me... LOL  unsure.gif

Me, too. I love Signals. But it isn't even in my top 5 Rush albums. I think I have it somewhere around 8th.

Yeah... I'll join the club. Signals is 17th on my list.

I ranked albums I don't actually own above it, I dislike it so much.