Live tracks outnumber studio tracks

danielmclark

I had all my commerical Rush releases in a big playlist in Spotify but I started to notice that I was getting (seemingly) way more live hits than studio hits. I typically would rather hear more studio stuff. So, out of curiosity, I put all the studio tracks in one playlist and all the live tracks in another.

Studio: 165, approx. 14 hours

Live: 197, approx. 18 hours

For the studio, I loaded all the obvious ones along with Caravan, BU2B, the remixes of OLV and Earthshine from Retrospective 3 and I'm counting Feedback.

For the live, I loaded all the obvious ones along with P/G Live (since they retconned that into canon wink.gif), all three discs of Different Stages, OLV from Working Men, and Ghost of a Chance from Retrospective 3. I didn't load up the separate Moving Pictures Live release since it's just the MP tracks from Time Machine. It should also be noted that these are live tracks in software, meaning, the opening 3 Stooges theme from ASOH counts.

The balance of studio:live got thrown way the heck out of whack when they put out Snakes & Arrows Live followed by Time Machine with only Caravan/BU2B to break them up (53 tracks between the two sets).

This is what I do when I'm bored laugh.gif

I wouldn't have a problem with that if we had a bit more diversity with the live tracks they have released. How many different versions of Closer to the Heart, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Freewill and The Spirit of Radio do we see in all these live albums?

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 3 2012, 07:12 AM)
I wouldn't have a problem with that if we had a bit more diversity with the live tracks they have released. How many different versions of Closer to the Heart, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Freewill and The Spirit of Radio do we see in all these live albums?

goodpost.gif I have been saying that for years. They really need to do something like this if we are going to get a live album every tour. I know they won't , they don't care wink.gif

The last time they got brave enough to leave (most) of those off a live album was A Show of Hands.

I think it way past due for Rush to release a studio live album...one where the audience shows up to listen to their studio albums over the PA in a crowded arena...granted there won't be anything new musically but imagine the audience reactions you could have.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jan 3 2012, 12:44 AM)
That's probably the one problem I have with Rush nowadays. Waaaayyy too much live stuff.

I disagree completely. I would gladly pay for one entire show from every tour they've done.

If you don't like repeats of a song, you can just hit "fast-forward" or "skip".

Yeah....it can get a bit monotonous, but for a rapid Rush nerd like myself, I can find subtle differences, for example, in "Limelight". I love the long "intro riff" from the S&A version, and also like the way they segue into it as the last encore right after "Crossroads" from R30.

It also seems like EVERY version of "Closer to the Heart" is different in some way (I like the one from Different Stages the best).

I would also LOVE if they would put out a legitimate live album of all the songs that haven't "made it" to a legit CD (think of songs like War Paint, Where's My Thing, Limbo, Countdown, Kid Gloves, etc.). Assuming there are legitimate recordings of such songs, that is.

Clem

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jan 3 2012, 02:10 PM)

The last time they got brave enough to leave (most) of those off a live album was A Show of Hands.

Which is easily the weakest live album to date. So there you go.

QUOTE (clem @ Jan 3 2012, 02:50 PM)

I would also LOVE if they would put out a legitimate live album of all the songs that haven't "made it" to a legit CD (think of songs like War Paint, Where's My Thing, Limbo, Countdown, Kid Gloves, etc.).  Assuming there are legitimate recordings of such songs, that is.

A "live rarities" album would be great... it deserves a new thread trink36.gif

Edited by Alexmai

Agreed, but the fact that they did it means something -- I would love to see a new live album (and tour) that has the following set list:

Superconductor

Grand Designs

Ceiling Unlimited

(New CA track)

Second Nature

Middletown Dreams

(New CA track)

Vapor Trail

Chain Lightning

Red Lenses

Jacob's Ladder

BU2B

(New CA track)

(New CA track)

Cinderella Man

Cut to the Chase

My Favorite Headache

Where's My Thing?

drum solo

Strip and Go Naked

Caravan

Hemispheres (Prelude) /

2112 (Temples of Syrinx / Grand Finale)

Limelight

Encore:

Before and After

In the Mood

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jan 3 2012, 12:44 AM)
That's probably the one problem I have with Rush nowadays. Waaaayyy too much live stuff.

Hehe, I dont think they would agree with you at all. As they wrap up their career they are in high gear mode trying to make as much money as possible before they hang it up.

Cant really blame them. This is still a job for them, and Im sure as they are pushing 60 they are trying to cash in as much as they can before they cant do this anymore.

Keep in mind too they are not filthy rich. That site celebrity networth tracks celebrities financial reportings, and each of the 3 guys has around 20mil, which of course is a lot, but they arent like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga rich. Not even close, so you cant really blame them for trying to milk this a little to have as much as they can get to pass on to their faimilies.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jan 4 2012, 08:42 AM)

Agreed, but the fact that they did it means something -- I would love to see a new live album (and tour) that has the following set list:

Superconductor

Grand Designs

Ceiling Unlimited

(New CA track)

Second Nature

Middletown Dreams

(New CA track)

Vapor Trail

Chain Lightning

Red Lenses

Jacob's Ladder

BU2B

(New CA track)

(New CA track)

Cinderella Man

Cut to the Chase

My Favorite Headache

Where's My Thing?

drum solo

Strip and Go Naked

Caravan

Hemispheres (Prelude) /

Limelight

Encore:

Before and After

In the Mood

I think that setlist would please about 90% of us TRFers

.... but 10% of the general Rush-going fans! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 4 2012, 05:22 PM)

Superconductor

Grand Designs

Ceiling Unlimited

(New CA track)

Second Nature

Middletown Dreams

(New CA track)

Vapor Trail

Chain Lightning

Red Lenses

Jacob's Ladder

BU2B

(New CA track)

(New CA track)

Cinderella Man

Cut to the Chase

My Favorite Headache

Where's My Thing?

drum solo

Strip and Go Naked

Caravan

Hemispheres (Prelude) /

Limelight

Encore:

Before and After

In the Mood

Yeesh. Take out Superconductor, Red Lenses, Jacob's Ladder, Cinderella Man, My Favorite Headache, Where's My Thing?, Strip and Go Naked (I mean, really?), Before and After and In the Mood.

Aside from that it's halfway decent. laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 4 2012, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 4 2012, 05:22 PM)

Superconductor

Grand Designs

Ceiling Unlimited

(New CA track)

Second Nature

Middletown Dreams

(New CA track)

Vapor Trail

Chain Lightning

Red Lenses

Jacob's Ladder

BU2B

(New CA track)

(New CA track)

Cinderella Man

Cut to the Chase

My Favorite Headache

Where's My Thing?

drum solo

Strip and Go Naked

Caravan

Hemispheres (Prelude) /

Limelight

Encore:

Before and After

In the Mood

Yeesh. Take out Superconductor, Red Lenses, Jacob's Ladder, Cinderella Man, My Favorite Headache, Where's My Thing?, Strip and Go Naked (I mean, really?), Before and After and In the Mood.

Aside from that it's halfway decent. laugh.gif

no.gif Play all the songs, then we can never complain about them never playing the rare tracks! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 4 2012, 06:22 PM)

Superconductor

Grand Designs

Ceiling Unlimited

(New CA track)

Second Nature

Middletown Dreams

(New CA track)

Vapor Trail

Chain Lightning

Red Lenses

Jacob's Ladder

BU2B

(New CA track)

(New CA track)

Cinderella Man

Cut to the Chase

My Favorite Headache

Where's My Thing?

drum solo

Strip and Go Naked

Caravan

Hemispheres (Prelude) /

Limelight

Encore:

Before and After

In the Mood

applaudit.gif

.... but 10% of the general Rush-going fans! 

I know, its not terribly realistic -- but one can dream... biggrin.gif Seeing the solo stuff would be interesting. Since Big Al has been doing a little acoustic solo after Neil's solo, Strip and Go Naked would be interesting right there.

Play all the songs, then we can never complain about them never playing the rare tracks!

Exactly! I mean, yea they will always do TSOR and TS and Limelight -- but they are getting on in years, and how many more times can they tour?? They need to throw a few of these out there for us before its too late.