van Halen practicing at the Roxy in Hollywood

nobodys hero

I get that Wolfie is a motivation for Edward and keeps him grounded, BUT I don't see why Edward harbors such anger towards Michael. Ultimately I think it has MORE to do with wanting to play with his son than anything else right now. I can't imagine his beef with Anthony is any worse than he's had with either/both Sammy and Dave in the past. It certainly doesn't seem bad enough to be unmendable, BUT Wolfie is there now and Edward is enjoying that. Even if he and Michael became besties tomorrow, I don't think Ed would stop playing with Wolfgang unless Wolfie chose to walk away.

That part I get. I think his son's presence has been a good grounding influence on Eddie; a healthy thing, whether we like how this is going down or not.

Ultimately 3/4 of original Van Halen making a new album and touring is better than an inactive and hibernating/hermiting Van Halen. Would I prefer Mikey back? Yes. Would I rather them disappear altogether if I can't have that? No. In whatever formation, Van Halen has had enough stagnant years...

Edited by Presto-digitation

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking forward to the show when they come around. i like dave and sammy equally. the writing of songs catered to the singers voice and phrasings. dave can't sing non of the songs from 5150 or OU812. Sammy can sing their entire catalog. voice wise sammy was by far a better singer. dave screamed / sang lots of their tunes. i love that also.

van halen III kind of missed me. balance was ok. dave had lots of character and it comes across in the music. sammy has skill. he can sing, write and play the guitar. he was great on stage. i never saw VH with dave. seen the 0U812 tour and that's it. wish i saw 5150 cause that's on of my favorites. the first 6 albums with dave are brilliant. great writing and performances. when dave sings it's party time. he's out there that guy. loved his radio show. it was brief but man he was just out there. he made no sense most of the time.

it be nice if they play the ice cream man and little guitars this time around.

and lets show some love for the drummer. alex is f***ing brilliant on the kit. great ideas and phrasings.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 2 2012, 03:32 PM)
I get that Wolfie is a motivation for Edward and keeps him grounded, BUT I don't see why Edward harbors such anger towards Michael. Ultimately I think it has MORE to do with wanting to play with his son than anything else right now. I can't imagine his beef with Anthony is any worse than he's had with either/both Sammy and Dave in the past. It certainly doesn't seem bad enough to be unmendable, BUT Wolfie is there now and Edward is enjoying that. Even if he and Michael became besties tomorrow, I don't think Ed would stop playing with Wolfgang unless Wolfie chose to walk away.

That part I get. I think his son's presence has been a good grounding influence on Eddie; a healthy thing, whether we like how this is going down or not.

Ultimately 3/4 of original Van Halen making a new album and touring is better than an inactive and hibernating/hermiting Van Halen. Would I prefer Mikey back? Yes. Would I rather them disappear altogether if I can't have that? No. In whatever formation, Van Halen has had enough stagnant years...

I'm not saying Michael Anthony wasn't an important member of the band, but from the original line-up, he was BY FAR the most expendable. I really don't get people's level of upsetness about him not being part of this. I mean, not to put anyone down, they're entitled, but for me his absence is greatly exceeded by DLR's return. I was crushed and heartbroken way back when all that went down, and I'm actually finding myself somewhat excited about a new album with DLR. I have serious doubts whether it will be any good or not, but I'm more than idly curious to check it out. That's something I truly thought would never happen again.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 2 2012, 10:58 PM)
I'm not saying Michael Anthony wasn't an important member of the band, but from the original line-up, he was BY FAR the most expendable. I really don't get people's level of upsetness about him not being part of this...

for me it's a big deal in precisely the same way it was/is with Jon Anderson and Yes

if Jon quit, so be it (he did not)

if Mike quit, so be it (he did not)

the principle is important here (in both examples above the bands exhibited none)

so let's try it on this way:

if Mike had said 'screw you guys, see ya!' after VHIII was released, and Wolfgang was pressed into service and everyone is now having a blast and Dave's back... hell, I've got no problem with VH in that case

and sure, I'd be disappointed it wasn't a true 'reunion', but in that example above, Mike quit - I couldn't and wouldn't hold that against VH

also - I wouldn't care if it was Journey calling itself 'Journey' without Ross Valory on bass or Rush calling itself 'Rush' without Neil - if either of those fellas quit, so be it... I'd be on board (at least for a listen)

how 'important' the guy is to the band means nothing to me where principle is concerned

dismissing disrespectful behavior just because (in your opinion) he was the 'most expendable' member of the band is about as shallow as it gets

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 2 2012, 11:27 PM)
I'm not saying Michael Anthony wasn't an important member of the band, but from the original line-up, he was BY FAR the most expendable.  I really don't get people's level of upsetness about him not being part of this...

for me it's a big deal in precisely the same way it was/is with Jon Anderson and Yes

the principle is important here (in both examples above the bands exhibited none)

if Mike had said 'screw you guys, see ya!' after VHIII was released, and Wolfgang was pressed into service and everyone is now having a blast and Dave's back... hell, I've got no problem with VH in that case

and sure, I'd be disappointed it wasn't a true 'reunion', but in that example above, Mike quit - I couldn't and wouldn't hold that against VH

also - I wouldn't care if it was Journey calling itself 'Journey' without Ross Valory on bass or Rush calling itself 'Rush' without Neil - if either of those fellas quit, so be it... I'd be on board (at least for a listen)

how 'important' the guy is to the band means nothing to me where principle is concerned

dismissing disrespectful behavior just because (in your opinion) he was the 'most expendable' member of the band is about as shallow as it gets

Alex and Eddie can go f**k themselves! Those guys are dicks and Dave sounded like shit last tour. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jan 2 2012, 07:01 PM)
it be nice if they play the ice cream man and little guitars this time around.

They did them on the last tour in 2007/08

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 2 2012, 09:27 PM)
I'm not saying Michael Anthony wasn't an important member of the band, but from the original line-up, he was BY FAR the most expendable.  I really don't get people's level of upsetness about him not being part of this...

shallow? please.

you're comparing michael anthony to jon anderson? really? jon anderson was the lead singer and principle songwriter - he played an incredibly important pivotal role. michael anthony plays the bass and does background vocals. i don't mean to put down the bass, but he's hardly geddy lee, or chris squire for that matter.

michael anthony isn't in the band anymore and i'm very curious about their new album. david lee roth left the band in 1984 and the band was dead to me until he returned. how important a member is to a band is of utmost importance.

and honestly, i don't care about the story of why michael anthony isn't there anymore. it's just not important to me in the way that neil's blogs aren't important to me - i care about a band because of their music, not because of their little squabbles or personal lives. all i know is he's not there and there's nothing i can do about it, but dave's back, and i'm excited.

don't get me wrong, i care about the band. i saw them and was a huge fan back in the 80's. they were my favorite band for awhile. even still, his absence is profoundly unimportant to me.

it's ok though, think i'm shallow and be disgusted with the band based on PRINCIPLE if you need to be. doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but have at it. wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 2 2012, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Jan 2 2012, 05:11 PM)
As PD knows from the KissFAQ forum, I'm one who's not completely happy or 100% on board with the current Van Halen. There is no good reason why Michael Anthony isn't part of the band. Real shame there will never be a "true" reunion but hopefully the album will be decent. We'll have an idea next week.

There is a good reason why Michael Anthony is not involved. It's just not well liked or respected among the Van Halen fan base.

Or maybe that's an excuse they use to enjoy a huge cost savings while employing eddie's son and jump starting his career. If it werent for the advent of audio sampling technology, Wolfie would have NOTHING to lip sync to. Period.

No self respecting rock band axes an original member by ripping the vocal harmon?ies to a sampler and having a punk kid play bass live while he pretends to sing all those high-registered harmonies. Had anthony died, that would be an acceptable plan. He was dumped in an effort to downsize the overhead of the vh cash cow...

Edited by the masked drummer

How many people back in the day went to see V.H. for Mike ? Seriously ?Nobody , that's who. Do i wish he was in the band ? Hell yes ,but i don't run the show . Ed has been trying to get rid of Mike since 1980 and asked Billy Sheehan to join the band for every album starting with Fair Warning. Why can't people just get past the fact that unless Wolfie quits, he will be the bass player for V.H. until it ends. I guess we will hear how good Wolfie can sing when we hear the new stuff. The "Backing Tracks" of M.A. won't be there.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jan 3 2012, 01:13 PM)
I'd rather have Roth back with an actual album coming out than have Mike still in the band with them on an indefinite hiatus.

goodpost.gif or Sammy in the band for that matter

The party i was at on New Years was full of musicians and hardcore music fans. The topic of the new Van Halen album came up...NOT ONE PERSON said they were excited for the new album, and it was a slamdunk opinion that without Mike in the band, its a friggin joke..I am looking forward to see what they come up with, but i just can't, as a lifelong fan, really get on board 100%.

I think the fans backing the band on TRF are the minority, from the discussions i've had with other folks.

May need to step up to a bigger panty size there, sis. The ones you're wearing now, judging by your tone, may be too tight or soiled.

You might wanna look into that... eyesre4.gif

Put your money where your mouth is and make a youtube video of how easy it is to sing those backup vocals that you implied just about anyone can sing. I can't wait... popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 3 2012, 03:18 PM)
The party i was at on New Years was full of musicians and hardcore music fans. The topic of the new Van Halen album came up...NOT ONE PERSON said they were excited for the new album, and it was a slamdunk opinion that without Mike in the band, its a friggin joke..I am looking forward to see what they come up with, but i just can't, as a lifelong fan, really get on board 100%.

I think the fans backing the band on TRF are the minority, from the discussions i've had with other folks.

From what I'm reading that's the exception. I can point to scores of folks on numerous rock boards who say they're genuinely excited.

Of course some people said this about "not being interested" in '07-'08 too....and you could barely fit another person into packed arenas with a shoe-horn. So if there were masses of disaffected former VH fans, you wouldn't have known it from the turnout.

I suspect the same this go 'round.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 3 2012, 02:16 PM)
I'd rather have Roth back with an actual album coming out than have Mike still in the band with them on an indefinite hiatus.

eyesre4.gif

Meh...whatever. Sammy will always get the shit thrown at him. But people fail to realize that Eddie and Alex run the band. They always have. Isn't that an obvious fact?! It's fine that people hate the Van Hagar era, but they need to realize that it's far from being simply "Sammy's fault". I'm sure the music was all primarily written by Eddie anyways. Simple as that.

If the VH brothers don't like something, it won't be on an album. This is fact...even during the Hagar years. They are the alpha and omega of the group. Why do you think that everyone that has ever joined the band has been kicked out besides those two?

The DLR era WAS amazing. Yes...absolutely classic. BUT...it was not simply due to DLR and his awesomeness. They were simply a band kicking ass and making outstanding albums, one after another. It's no different than Rush with AFTK-MP. It's their 'golden era'. Rush hasn't changed their lineup, and yet people still look at their post Signals stuff as not reaching that same level. The majority of the DLR era IS their 'golden era'. Simple as that.

Personally, I like most of the Van Hagar material. But isn't it possible that VH was simply running out of gas at that time, and essentially a band on the decline because of Eddie? I think so.

Don't get me wrong though. Do I hope that the new VH album is great? Absolutely...hell yeah. I would love to hear an awesome album from them...followed by a fantastic tour. Saw them in 2007 and loved it.

I'm just saying...despite popular belief, Sammy was FAR from being the problem with the band.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 3 2012, 10:23 AM)
How many people back in the day went to see V.H. for Mike ? Seriously ?Nobody , that's who.

Jeez, I know I didn't. I was primarily there for DLR and Eddie - the outrageous, fun and magnetic frontman, and the out of control amazing guitarist. Also, Alex was a VERY powerful drummer with an highly distinctive sound.

I never paid much attention to Michael Anthony - maybe his bass playing and background vocals were beyond compare and irreplaceable, but that wasn't an observation I ever made.

And really, the only reason I'm excited at all is because of a new ALBUM with DLR. Them touring is fine, but that doesn't do it for me so much. I was lucky enough to see them back when they were in their prime - I'm happy with that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 3 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 3 2012, 10:23 AM)
How many people back in the day went to see V.H. for Mike ? Seriously ?Nobody , that's who.

Jeez, I know I didn't. I was primarily there for DLR and Eddie - the outrageous, fun and magnetic frontman, and the out of control amazing guitarist. Also, Alex was a VERY powerful drummer with an highly distinctive sound.

I never paid much attention to Michael Anthony - maybe his bass playing and background vocals were beyond compare and irreplaceable, but that wasn't an observation I ever made.

And really, the only reason I'm excited at all is because of a new ALBUM with DLR. Them touring is fine, but that doesn't do it for me so much. I was lucky enough to see them back when they were in their prime - I'm happy with that.

as a bass player myself I was always one of Mike's biggest critics, but he was treated horribly by the VH brothers and I think it sucks that he's not in the band to complete the original lineup.

Da*n...wish I was in L.A right now..

I'd cruse on over and hear the MIGHTY VH

knock down some tunes..that'd be awesome!!

..while knockin down some brews, and scopin'

out the foxxxy rocker chicks!!! 653.gif

If anyone from here is goin tonight, tell us

all about it tomorrow..write it up and post it.

That would be cool...

trink39.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 3 2012, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 3 2012, 02:16 PM)

eyesre4.gif

Meh...whatever. Sammy will always get the shit thrown at him. But people fail to realize that Eddie and Alex run the band. They always have. Isn't that an obvious fact?! It's fine that people hate the Van Hagar era, but they need to realize that it's far from being simply "Sammy's fault". I'm sure the music was all primarily written by Eddie anyways. Simple as that.

If the VH brothers don't like something, it won't be on an album. This is fact...even during the Hagar years. They are the alpha and omega of the group. Why do you think that everyone that has ever joined the band has been kicked out besides those two?

The DLR era WAS amazing. Yes...absolutely classic. BUT...it was not simply due to DLR and his awesomeness. They were simply a band kicking ass and making outstanding albums, one after another. It's no different than Rush with AFTK-MP. It's their 'golden era'. Rush hasn't changed their lineup, and yet people still look at their post Signals stuff as not reaching that same level. The majority of the DLR era IS their 'golden era'. Simple as that.

Personally, I like most of the Van Hagar material. But isn't it possible that VH was simply running out of gas at that time, and essentially a band on the decline because of Eddie? I think so.

Don't get me wrong though. Do I hope that the new VH album is great? Absolutely...hell yeah. I would love to hear an awesome album from them...followed by a fantastic tour. Saw them in 2007 and loved it.

I'm just saying...despite popular belief, Sammy was FAR from being the problem with the band.

goodpost.gif