Defining version of your favorite songs

Tommy Sawyer

Post songs that are much better on live albums, bootlegs, or alternate studio takes. Or songs that the live version was worse than the studio version.

----

I'll start with...

Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets, Live in Pompeii version

-the drum parts is much more exciting and the vocals by Gilmour are SO GOOD wub.gif

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man, Studio version

-no live version had the distorted vocals which partly made the song yes.gif

More to follow

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Dec 20 2011, 07:48 PM)
Pictures of You - The Cure, on the live disc Show.

It is perfection.

OMG yes. I love the way they brought it down after the "you were always so lost in the dark" line, coming back with that double snare hit. In the live show, they brought the lights down in the venue right then, plunging the whole place into darkness. It was one of the coolest concert moments I've experienced. Such a little thing, I know... but it was quite cool.

On another Cure note - "Play For Today" from the Paris disc. They brought the keyboard part up in this version and the crowd singing along with it was awesome.

Porcupine Tree - Fadeaway from the 2005 remaster/re-recorded version of Up the Downstair/XMII (with John Wesley on vocals); Lightbulb Sun from Ilosarirock; Even Less from Recordings; and Anesthetize from Anesthetize

Opeth - The Drapery Falls, Wreath, and Hope Leaves from In Concert at the Royal Albert Hall

Rush - Animate and Mystic Rhythms from R30

Sonata Arctica - The Last Amazing Grays and Caleb from Live in Finland

Iron Maiden - Ghost of the Navigator, Dream of Mirrors, and Fear of the Dark from Rock in Rio

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 20 2011, 11:01 PM)
B.O.C. - Astronomy live from "Some Enchanted Evening"

Ditto E.T.I. from the same album. That record is one of the more underappreciated live albums ever IMO. Just an excellent listen and one I've had in my collection since it came out (in various media). Didn't hurt that I saw them on that tour and they were killer so the album always brought back the memory of an excellent show.

Marillion - The Answering Machine... I never really cared for the studio version of this track but have loved it everytime they have played it live.

Also by Marillion - "This Strange Engine"... I love the song now but I rever really got into it until I heard the remixed version by The Positive Light.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 20 2011, 09:08 PM)
Most anything by the Grateful Dead live is better than their studio versions.

Without a doubt.

I could spend hours posting about what shows are the best for certain songs (just on the Grateful Dead).

I'll keep it simple and only list a couple:

The Eleven (my favorite Dead tune) - 2/28/69 (plus a great Dark Star and incredible St. Stephen)

Sugaree 10/16/77 - Just recently heard this on Sirius radio. I need to hear this again. Hands-down the best version of this song ever (17 minutes)

Allman Brothers - Live At Fillmore East is pretty much the best version of every song on that album. While 'Dreams' is not on the album, the Ludlow Garage version of this tune kicks ass.

Rather than go on and on and on and on, I will end with a question,

What is the best version of Little Wing, Jimi or SRV (honorable mention to Derek And The Dominos but it doesn't really belong in the conversation)

Rush - La Villa Strangiato - Tuscon AZ 1978 [sbd boot]

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick - any good aud boot from the TAAB tour! 1022.gif Some are over 60min!

Camel - Echoes - The Opening Farewell DVD

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 21 2011, 06:23 PM)
What is the best version of Little Wing, Jimi or SRV (honorable mention to Derek And The Dominos but it doesn't really belong in the conversation)

Sacriledge, I know, but I love Sting's version.

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 21 2011, 10:40 PM)
Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again (redux)" was way better than the original. Replacing "hobo" with "drifter" alone makes this true.

From the self-titled Whitesnake album from 1987? Yes. The "radio mix" version from the Greatest Hits set? Horrrrrible. That arrangement knocked the teeth out of that song. They had it right the second time.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Dec 21 2011, 05:45 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 20 2011, 11:01 PM)
B.O.C. - Astronomy live from "Some Enchanted Evening"

Ditto E.T.I. from the same album. That record is one of the more underappreciated live albums ever IMO. Just an excellent listen and one I've had in my collection since it came out (in various media). Didn't hurt that I saw them on that tour and they were killer so the album always brought back the memory of an excellent show.

Great album indeed. You can't go wrong with B.O.C. live. Criminally underrated band. trink39.gif

QUOTE (2112mjh @ Dec 21 2011, 10:40 AM)
goodpost.gif

This strange engine is awsome live. Steve Hogarth's vocals are stunning.

Going back to BOC, The last Days Of May on On Your Feet or On Your Knees is the defining moment for this song.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is one of the greatest live albums ever! trink39.gif