Defining version of your favorite songs

Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 21 2011, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Dec 20 2011, 08:48 PM)
Pictures of You - The Cure, on the live disc Show.

It is perfection.

Probably the best live version I've heard. Why is this still not on dvd? angry.gif

Good question.

I have Show on video tape, fat lot of good it does me.

laugh.gif

I do have the Trilogy DVD, but that version is not as good. Plainsong is pretty great though.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 22 2011, 12:37 AM)

It is perfection.

Probably the best live version I've heard. Why is this still not on dvd? angry.gif

IMO, it's probably because Robert Smith is one of the most anal people on the planet with regards to The Cure... he has to be involved in everything and if he doesn't have time, it doesn't get done. The Cure in Orange needs to be put out on DVD as well as Live in Japan, Picture Show and Play Out. I get why they're not exactly high priority projects, but Smith could easily hire someone to do the transfer and get it done.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 20 2011, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Dec 20 2011, 07:48 PM)

It is perfection.

OMG yes. I love the way they brought it down after the "you were always so lost in the dark" line, coming back with that double snare hit. In the live show, they brought the lights down in the venue right then, plunging the whole place into darkness. It was one of the coolest concert moments I've experienced. Such a little thing, I know... but it was quite cool.

On another Cure note - "Play For Today" from the Paris disc. They brought the keyboard part up in this version and the crowd singing along with it was awesome.

Speaking of Paris, that version of Close To Me is my favorite of the song. I love the dreamy feel of it and the jazzy guitar licks. As far as studio Cure songs, the Disintegration version of Fascination Street is better than the single version just for the longer bass intro because it just happens to be my favorite bass riff by ANYONE. Simon Gallup slappin da bass! cool.gif GeddyFinal.gif Ironically, it's the other way around with the Galore version of Lullaby. Always preferred that version.

Everclear - Father Of Mine

Loved this song when I got So Much For The Afterglow when I was in 11th grade. Several months later, the single version comes out and I'm disappointed in the more radio friendly version.

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 22 2011, 12:39 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 21 2011, 06:23 PM)
What is the best version of Little Wing, Jimi or SRV (honorable mention to Derek And The Dominos but it doesn't really belong in the conversation)

Sacriledge, I know, but I love Sting's version.

That is my preferred version as well. The guitar solos are incredible.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 21 2011, 01:21 AM)
Porcupine Tree - Fadeaway from the 2005 remaster/re-recorded version of Up the Downstair/XMII (with John Wesley on vocals)

goodpost.gif

That is my preferred version as well.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 22 2011, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 22 2011, 12:37 AM)

It is perfection.

IMO, it's probably because Robert Smith is one of the most anal people on the planet with regards to The Cure... he has to be involved in everything and if he doesn't have time, it doesn't get done. The Cure in Orange needs to be put out on DVD as well as Live in Japan, Picture Show and Play Out. I get why they're not exactly high priority projects, but Smith could easily hire someone to do the transfer and get it done.

Yeah, Play Out and In Orange definitely need to be released on dvd. Live In Japan too just because it's from The Top tour and we'll never hear some of the songs live again. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 22 2011, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Dec 21 2011, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 21 2011, 01:01 AM)
AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie from "Let There Be Rock" (album, not film)

yes.gif

As much as the song kills live, you gotta love Angus soloing his ass off at the end of the studio version. 1022.gif

"Milking it", as he says.

Pretty good version of Rosie here...Bon's over the top, and Angus is, well, Angus.

How 'bout "Let There Be Rock" for live version over studio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLRKk0EJTI&feature=related

Edited by goose

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Dec 22 2011, 01:08 PM)
"Comfortably Numb" from Pink Floyd's P.U.L.S.E. concert. David's solo at the end is just GODLY. yes.gif

Comfortably Numb from Live 8 - IMO. Got me to appreciate the song. smile.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 23 2011, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 22 2011, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Dec 21 2011, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Dec 21 2011, 01:01 AM)
AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie from "Let There Be Rock" (album, not film)

yes.gif

As much as the song kills live, you gotta love Angus soloing his ass off at the end of the studio version. 1022.gif

"Milking it", as he says.

Pretty good version of Rosie here...Bon's over the top, and Angus is, well, Angus.

How 'bout "Let There Be Rock" for live version over studio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVLRKk0EJTI&feature=related

Love those videos. My two favorite AC/DC songs. trink39.gif

Most 70's Kiss is better Live