Top 10 Heavy Metal Bands Of All Time

metaldad

Tool is too far on the fringes of metal to be on there, and Zeppelin were one of the great metal forefathers. Back in the 70's they were rightly referred to as metal, but when the NWOBHM came along and solidified the definitions of metal, Zeppelin emerged as hard rock gods, but not metal like Sabbath or Priest. One of the greatest nonetheless. Tool...not so much.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not including early bands that were loosely referred to as metal, when the genre wasn't definitively solidified, like Zeppelin, early Rush, KISS, early VH, etc., here is my personal list...

1. Iron Maiden

2. Slayer

3. Metallica

4. Black Sabbath

5. OZZY (you can't lump these two camps together)

6. Exodus

7. Pantera

8. Megadeth

9. Judas Priest

10. Black Label Society

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 30 2011, 08:47 AM)
Not including early bands that were loosely referred to as metal, when the genre wasn't definitively solidified, like Zeppelin, early Rush, KISS, early VH, etc., here is my personal list...

1. Iron Maiden
2. Slayer
3. Metallica
4. Black Sabbath
6. Exodus
7. Pantera
8. Megadeth
9. Judas Priest
10. Black Label Society

Good list though mine would be in a different order. Looking at that list I realize I've seen 9 of those 10 bands......Sabbath (original) 5Xs, Ozzy 5Xs (including with Randy once), Pantera 4Xs, Metallica 8Xs, Megadeth 6Xs, Slayer 3Xs, Maiden once, Priest once, BLS 3Xs. The only one on your list I haven't seen is Exodus. Geez, I must like metal or something. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 30 2011, 10:47 AM)

1. Iron Maiden
2. Slayer
3. Metallica
4. Black Sabbath
6. Exodus
7. Pantera
8. Megadeth
9. Judas Priest
10. Black Label Society

no.gif

1.) Metallica

2.) Iron Maiden

3.) Judas Priest

4.) Black Sabbath

5.) Ozzy

6.) Megadeth

7.) Dio

8.) Grim Reaper

9.) Anthrax

10.) Slayer

900000000000000.)...Dream Theater

Edited by Nate2112

You guys are crazy. You wouldn't know METAL if it bit you in the ass. Here's the REAL METAL list!!!

1. Poison

2. Whitesnake

3. Pretty Boy Floyd

4. Dokken

5. Nelson

6. Cinderella

7. Britny Fox

8. Samantha Fox

9. Skid Row

10. Kiss (but only from 1985 to 1990, aside from that, they weren't METAL at all)

Who the hell are these other bands you guys keep bringing up? Slayer? Who the fk names their band after Buffy the Vampire Slayer anyway???

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 01:37 PM)
You guys are crazy. You wouldn't know METAL if it bit you in the ass. Here's the REAL METAL list!!!

1. Poison
2. Whitesnake
3. Pretty Boy Floyd
4. Dokken
5. Nelson
6. Cinderella
7. Britny Fox
8. Samantha Fox
9. Skid Row
10. Kiss (but only from 1985 to 1990, aside from that, they weren't METAL at all)

Who the hell are these other bands you guys keep bringing up? Slayer? Who the fk names their band after Buffy the Vampire Slayer anyway???

No Faster Pussycat? wtf.gif

No Kix? Where are the Bullet Boys? Does the name Winger mean ANYTHING to you? Hello...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 02:37 PM)

1. Poison
2. Whitesnake
3. Pretty Boy Floyd
4. Dokken
5. Nelson
6. Cinderella
7. Britny Fox
8. Samantha Fox
9. Skid Row

Damn it, you are SO right on that one. Revise my list Dan tongue.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 30 2011, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 01:37 PM)

1. Poison
2. Whitesnake
3. Pretty Boy Floyd
4. Dokken
5. Nelson
6. Cinderella
7. Britny Fox
8. Samantha Fox
9. Skid Row

No Faster Pussycat? wtf.gif

No Kix? Where are the Bullet Boys? Does the name Winger mean ANYTHING to you? Hello...

Oh damn... I wish I'd thought of Winger. Holy crap, that would have been perfect. Kix, Bulletboys, Faster Pussycat... nice biggrin.gif

For me Black Sabbath, Dio (rip), Judas Priest, Grip Inc, King Diamond, Accept and some else maybe too represented the term Heavy Metal, not talking about hard rock / aor now. And nowadays (didn't like them in 1983 when they started,..too trashy and fast then..until 1986..) the only band who kicks my ass hardcore are Slayer, they have had the the last and the best laugh in the end. Dave Lombardo is a monster, he really keeps getting better and better with age and his fills always are so smooth, you can tell he really feels the music he plays. Listened Maiden and Metallica in the 80's a lot. Metallica's three albums were brilliant after that just a joke/mainstreams with ballads and bullshit. So much newer bands available too but not so interested due lack of time. Those who laugh last laugh best-Slayer and I love when Araya is smiling..wink.gif

ps. those who matter the most for me are Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd..and the best cure when you fell pissed are Slayer (+Grip Inc.)

Btw. I have a ticket for Sabbath gig next May 2012. Third time see them. Ozzy twice, first time 1983. Last time maybe together. 12000 tickets were sold in 6 minutes..

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Dec 30 2011, 10:33 AM)
Tool is too far on the fringes of metal to be on there, and Zeppelin were one of the great metal forefathers. Back in the 70's they were rightly referred to as metal, but when the NWOBHM came along and solidified the definitions of metal, Zeppelin emerged as hard rock gods, but not metal like Sabbath or Priest. One of the greatest nonetheless. Tool...not so much.

I never heard anyone use the term metal in music until the early 80's. Zeppelin is hard rock in the infancies of what later was called meta,l. It's pretty hard to define what genre imho...

Dream Theater, when they emerged in the late 80's, were kinda metal meets rush but now they are considered more a prog than metal type band.

Are these lists derived from a reader's poll or by employees of r.s.mag?

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 29 2011, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 24 2011, 07:48 PM)
not that loud, not that fast

Neither of which necessarily makes something heavier. It's the blues influence that makes AC/DC heavy.

if you read the quotes you will understand why I made that post.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 12 2011, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (adace1 @ Dec 12 2011, 01:25 PM)
I agree it's definitely a good list and that Led Zep weren't metal but Dream Theater is definitely metal. I seriously don't know how you can say they aren't. Saying Tool isn't metal is kind of a stretch but I'd agree with calling them hard rock or something like that. Also, I would have added Opeth to that list.

Dream Theater are a Prog/Metal band . They are Not a Heavy Metal band. Do you think they are more of a Heavy Metal band than Pantera , Maiden or Sabbath ? Hell No. Ask anyone in D.T. if they think they are a Heavy Metal band , they will tell you Prog/Metal . I look at Tool the same way, way more Progressive than a band like Sabbath but not H.M.

Agreed.

DT is not metal.

Some bands I consider metal:

Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Metallica

Ratt

Pantera

Slayer

Motorhead

KISS

Motley Crue

Some Bands that had some metal moments:

RUSH

BTO

Led Zep

Scorpions

UFO

AC/DC

Deep Purple

Guns n Roses

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (Geo7 @ Dec 31 2011, 09:50 PM)
To my surprise , no one has mentioned my favorite Metal/Hard Rock band in the world, Queensryche!!!
Geoff Tate IMO is the best vocalist on the planet!!!!

That is hard to believe. Then again, it's a list made up by readers and they only. Are naming ten bands. Apparently qr didn't make the cut, which makes me wonder how dt came out number two, 2nd only to Metallica. That's the biggest shocker on that list, to my eyes...

1. Poison
2. Whitesnake
3. Pretty Boy Floyd
4. Dokken
5. Nelson
6. Cinderella
7. Britny Fox
8. Samantha Fox
9. Skid Row

No Dan, you don't get what metal is. Poison isn't even metal! Making kissy faces, wearing womans clothing and makeup is not metal! They're not metal by musical standards either. Don't get me wrong I'm not insulting ballads or Glam metal though. GM has some really good bands, that are metal. But calling a band like Poison "REAL METAL"? Now thats straight up STUPID.

QUOTE (Force X @ Jan 4 2012, 02:22 PM)

1. Poison
2. Whitesnake
3. Pretty Boy Floyd
4. Dokken
5. Nelson
6. Cinderella
7. Britny Fox
8. Samantha Fox
9. Skid Row

No Dan, you don't get what metal is. Poison isn't even metal! Making kissy faces, wearing womans clothing and makeup is not metal! They're not metal by musical standards either. Don't get me wrong I'm not insulting ballads or Glam metal though. GM has some really good bands, that are metal. But calling a band like Poison "REAL METAL"? Now thats straight up STUPID.

I am pretty sure he was joking

QUOTE (Force X @ Jan 4 2012, 01:22 PM)

1. Poison
2. Whitesnake
3. Pretty Boy Floyd
4. Dokken
5. Nelson
6. Cinderella
7. Britny Fox
8. Samantha Fox
9. Skid Row

Did you see that thing that just zipped over your head? That was the joke. You didn't catch it wink.gif

Yeah, I was kidding biggrin.gif To your other post, I don't consider Skid Row real metal, they were only slightly better than any of the others I mentioned, Dokken was only slightly better still. There's a reason they've been relegated to the glam metal genre.

I consider skid row metal but not REAL METAL lol. As far as catergorizing things goes I really don't like GM because some people call a lot of glam stuff metal that isn't and good bands like Dokken and Tesla get lumped with Poison lol. But I do listen to a little Poison, the only songs I really like from them are Life goes on and Something to believe in though. I think the fact that Dokken had the fantastic guitarist George Lynch and the faster heavier songs. Made it a lot eaisier to call them Metal. But I would not considered Led Zeppelin heavy metal though. Edited by Force X

QUOTE (Force X @ Jan 4 2012, 02:40 PM)
I consider skid row metal but not REAL METAL lol.................

I don't know man, Slave To The Grind is a heavy fukkin' record. Agree that the rest of their shit isn't though.

Edited by driventotheedge