Clockwork Angels coming out Spring 2012

losingit2k

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring as in MARCH or Spring as in like... just before "Summer" actually starts?

If it's May/June I'm going to just not be happy.

Except for that fact that now we know it's coming for sure. yes.gif

As Geddy confirmed in the recent Rolling Stone interview, they haven't even completed most of the recording and said that they'll "start recording in earnest shortly", so it's highly unlikely that we'll see Clockwork Angels by Spring 2012, even if recording is finished by Xmas.

Probably looking at starting mixing in Spring and then mid-2012 before it hits the shops.

News article here:- http://www.8263.co.uk/sites/musicpro/news/..._geddy_lee.html

QUOTE (musicpro @ Nov 7 2011, 03:23 PM)
As Geddy confirmed in the recent Rolling Stone interview, they haven't even completed most of the recording and said that they'll "start recording in earnest shortly", so it's highly unlikely that we'll see Clockwork Angels by Spring 2012, even if recording is finished by Xmas.

Probably looking at starting mixing in Spring and then mid-2012 before it hits the shops.

News article here:- http://www.8263.co.uk/sites/musicpro/news/..._geddy_lee.html

After that interview Alex had an interview where he said the whole thing is written already and they have already laid down a few drum tracks. He also said they are a week ahead of schedule. I still expect a Spring release especially because they like to tour in the Summer.

QUOTE (musicpro @ Nov 7 2011, 08:23 PM)
so it's highly unlikely that we'll see Clockwork Angels by Spring 2012, even if recording is finished by Xmas.

Why would they leave a few month gap between recording and mixing? Rich Chycki won't get paid unless he works, so it wouldn't be in his best interests to leave a massive gap either.

Alex said in a recent interview that he expects it to be released in March or April, all going to plan. We all know that Lerxst can jump the gun a little, so I'd say that May is possible, with a July/August/September/October tour. Alex also mentioned that they plan to tour in 2013 as well.

I sincerely wish I could be more excited about this release. After T4E and VT, my enthusiasm for S&A was VERY low. Then I heard that teaser power chord that sounded like Hemispheres and got excited. Then I heard Far Cry and I was REALLY excited. Easily their best song in many, many years.

In this case we have the (for me) very unfortunate release of two songs from an album a full two years or so before release, and judging by those two songs, there's nothing I'm excited about. The only thing I really liked was the music part of Caravan, not the lyrics. It truly sucks to know an album is far from perfect years before its release.

I'm curious about it, and hopeful for maybe one or two good songs. Who knows, a miracle could occur and maybe there will be two or three great songs. S&A had some stellar material (and some not so stellar), so anything's possible. I wish I was more excited as this will doubtlessly be their last album, but alas...

Its hard for me to get too excited. Of course ill buy it and go to the tour and all that, but I just havent really loved a Rush album since god, probably Presto? It took me a while to grow to love that album, but I did. After that I really like a few songs on each album.

I cant stand Caravan, but like BU2B, so we'll see where they go with this. I wish they would get back to what I originally loved about them, and its big soaring music, grand vocal melodies, maybe even get some keys in there. Just go all out. Enough with these safe rock songs. Come up with some odd structures like they used to. Not every song has to be verse/chorus/verse/chorus. Mix it up, get experimental again. They earned the right to do whatever the hell they want, so just go crazy.

My enthusiasm for every release is always really high because I know that whatever they put it, it will be somewhat similar yet different from previous releases. There was a massive difference between CP and T4E, a chasm between T4E and VT and while SNA may not have veered into new territory quite as dramatically as other releases, it was still new stuff.

Plus, no matter what happens, I'm confident it'll grow on me. I didn't like VT at first, but now it's one of my favorites. (I know, I know wink.gif)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 7 2011, 05:44 PM)
My enthusiasm for every release is always really high because I know that whatever they put it, it will be somewhat similar yet different from previous releases. There was a massive difference between CP and T4E, a chasm between T4E and VT and while SNA may not have veered into new territory quite as dramatically as other releases, it was still new stuff.

Plus, no matter what happens, I'm confident it'll grow on me. I didn't like VT at first, but now it's one of my favorites. (I know, I know wink.gif)

I wish they all could have grown on me, but four of the last six studio release - no go, and I never disliked a studio release of theirs prior to that...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 7 2011, 05:42 PM)
Its hard for me to get too excited. Of course ill buy it and go to the tour and all that, but I just havent really loved a Rush album since god, probably Presto? It took me a while to grow to love that album, but I did. After that I really like a few songs on each album.

I cant stand Caravan, but like BU2B, so we'll see where they go with this. I wish they would get back to what I originally loved about them, and its big soaring music, grand vocal melodies, maybe even get some keys in there. Just go all out. Enough with these safe rock songs. Come up with some odd structures like they used to. Not every song has to be verse/chorus/verse/chorus. Mix it up, get experimental again. They earned the right to do whatever the hell they want, so just go crazy.

Caravan is hardly verse chorus verse chorus.

and it kicks ass.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2011, 08:36 PM)
I sincerely wish I could be more excited about this release. After T4E and VT, my enthusiasm for S&A was VERY low. Then I heard that teaser power chord that sounded like Hemispheres and got excited. Then I heard Far Cry and I was REALLY excited. Easily their best song in many, many years.

In this case we have the (for me) very unfortunate release of two songs from an album a full two years or so before release, and judging by those two songs, there's nothing I'm excited about. The only thing I really liked was the music part of Caravan, not the lyrics. It truly sucks to know an album is far from perfect years before its release.

I'm curious about it, and hopeful for maybe one or two good songs. Who knows, a miracle could occur and maybe there will be two or three great songs. S&A had some stellar material (and some not so stellar), so anything's possible. I wish I was more excited as this will doubtlessly be their last album, but alas...

Geddy keeps mentioning the "evolution" of the album, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised if they changed things up.

IMO, they shouldn't keep Caravan/BU2B. They either need to re-record the songs differently or leave out the songs entirely in favour of something else. It's been far too long that the songs have been released and the current recordings should in no ways be considered part of the album. Had they recorded/released CA right after the first leg, then fine, Rush decided to give a little tease, but now we've gone into the span that they could have theoretically started working on a second album now (excluding a possible tour).

I'm looking forward to the album, but my hopes are low for the so called "epic". They said it won't be album length, so I don't care much for anything along the lines of by-tor or TCE at this points. IMO they should really give it their all for an album length just to give a sort of love letter to fans and possibly have one modern "classic" song under their belt before their careers come to an end.

Overall, my "hype" for CA is at 2/10, I've been waiting too long to care. I'll probably get excited again within a week of it's release, but nothing until then. In the meantime, I can eagerly await my copy of the TM Tour to come in and remember that awesome tour.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2011, 06:45 PM)
I'd be surprised if they didn't push hard for spring.  That way they maximize the summer/fall season and The Big Money that the two-year tour will bring.

And all the power to them if that is the case.

Regarding the news though, I can't wait! This will be the first album released with me being a Rush fan. I love the new material, and I absolutely love Neil's fills in BU2B, and the instrumental break in Caravan is awesome! Bring it on! I'm intrigued by the band talking about how the album will feature an extended length story. I'm hoping that they continued to incorporate some synths into the other songs to add that extra texture, similar to how it was used in BU2B and Caravan. (Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing the keyboards featured a bit more than that at points.) What excites me the most is that the band is ahead of schedule, and both Alex and Geddy can't wait to get back to work. It sounds like they are really enjoying the material and putting their absolute effort into this album.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 7 2011, 06:42 PM)

I'll be honest....I'm not overly excited for this album either. Nothing they've done has blown me away in over 25 years. "Safe rock songs" is a great description of what we are gonna get (again)....

I'm confident I will like, at least, a couple of songs. And that's good enough for me. I gave up anticipating the next Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures after listening to Grace Under Pressure. It ain't happening.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:50 PM)

and it kicks ass.

Well that's fine, I just find the lyrics to be pretty uninspiring. Compare it to the excellent, universally relatable lyrics in Far Cry and it's no comparison.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 7 2011, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2011, 08:36 PM)
I sincerely wish I could be more excited about this release.  After T4E and VT, my enthusiasm for S&A was VERY low.  Then I heard that teaser power chord that sounded like Hemispheres and got excited.  Then I heard Far Cry and I was REALLY excited.  Easily their best song in many, many years.

In this case we have the (for me) very unfortunate release of two songs from an album a full two years or so before release, and judging by those two songs, there's nothing I'm excited about.  The only thing I really liked was the music part of Caravan, not the lyrics.  It truly sucks to know an album is far from perfect years before its release.

I'm curious about it, and hopeful for maybe one or two good songs.  Who knows, a miracle could occur and maybe there will be two or three great songs.  S&A had some stellar material (and some not so stellar), so anything's possible.  I wish I was more excited as this will doubtlessly be their last album, but alas...

Geddy keeps mentioning the "evolution" of the album, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised if they changed things up.

IMO, they shouldn't keep Caravan/BU2B. They either need to re-record the songs differently or leave out the songs entirely in favour of something else. It's been far too long that the songs have been released and the current recordings should in no ways be considered part of the album. Had they recorded/released CA right after the first leg, then fine, Rush decided to give a little tease, but now we've gone into the span that they could have theoretically started working on a second album now (excluding a possible tour).

I'm looking forward to the album, but my hopes are low for the so called "epic". They said it won't be album length, so I don't care much for anything along the lines of by-tor or TCE at this points. IMO they should really give it their all for an album length just to give a sort of love letter to fans and possibly have one modern "classic" song under their belt before their careers come to an end.

Overall, my "hype" for CA is at 2/10, I've been waiting too long to care. I'll probably get excited again within a week of it's release, but nothing until then. In the meantime, I can eagerly await my copy of the TM Tour to come in and remember that awesome tour.

goodpost.gif

Time will tell...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 7 2011, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:50 PM)

and it kicks ass.

Well that's fine, I just find the lyrics to be pretty uninspiring. Compare it to the excellent, universally relatable lyrics in Far Cry and it's no comparison.

the vocal melody in the chorus ruins that one for me......

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 7 2011, 06:51 PM)
It's been far too long that the songs have been released and the current recordings should in no ways be considered part of the album.

Peter Gabriel recorded "I Grieve" for the City of Angels soundtrack in 1998 and then included it on his Up album in 2002, 4 years later. I always felt a little cheated by that, like that spot on the album should have been filled by a new song. I have a feeling I'm going to think of Caravan/BU2B the same way, unfortunately.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 7 2011, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 7 2011, 06:51 PM)
It's been far too long that the songs have been released and the current recordings should in no ways be considered part of the album.

Peter Gabriel recorded "I Grieve" for the City of Angels soundtrack in 1998 and then included it on his Up album in 2002, 4 years later. I always felt a little cheated by that, like that spot on the album should have been filled by a new song. I have a feeling I'm going to think of Caravan/BU2B the same way, unfortunately.

I'm glad it's on Up. It's a deeply moving song that I never would have discovered had it not been on the album.