last movie you watched

sonicjams

About to watch...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/olympushasfallen/images/poster.jpg

The worst movie i can remember seeing. Utter shit. I fast forwarded trying to find a redeemable moment, but the entire movie is just pile upon pile of shit...endless gratuitous violence woven throughout the most implausible plotlines imaginable. Did I mention this movie is shit?

Elysium was good although, as much as it pains me to say it since she's my favorite living actress, Foster was awful in it.

As for Wolf Of Wall Street, that quaaludes telephone scene is the funniest scene in any movie from last year. :rfl:

Fruitvale Station

As I was watching Elysium, I thought exactly the same..."what is Jodie Foster doing here? She´s awful!"

And yeah, the quaalde scene alone is worth the movie ticket!

• Like 1

All About Eve

Bette Davis and Anne Baxter stun in this catty, melodramatic masterpiece!

Madebin 1950, it hasn't really aged a day. Perfect film.

• Like 2

All About Eve

Madebin 1950, it hasn't really aged a day. Perfect film.

GREAT movie.

All About Eve

Made in 1950, it hasn't really aged a day. Perfect film.

GREAT movie.

I might be 23, but you cannot beat these golden oldies. No drama of recent years has left any impression on me the way a lot of the 30's-60's classics have.

And you are never to young to fancy Marilyn Monroe.

• Like 1

All About Eve

Made in 1950, it hasn't really aged a day. Perfect film.

GREAT movie.

I might be 23, but you cannot beat these golden oldies. No drama of recent years has left any impression on me the way a lot of the 30's-60's classics have.

And you are never to young to fancy Marilyn Monroe.

It's too bad what happened to her. She was a great actress. People don't realize how good an actor has to be to be to "act" dumb in a role. She was always striving to better herself but Hollywood would never let her branch out very much. I loved the movie Niagara, where she got to be in a more serious role, even though they had to have that one "sexed up" scene in it.

I LOVE NIAGARA!

And The Seven Year Itch is a really good film as well. She mastered comic timing, and that film proves it!

And How To Marry A Millionaire is ridiculously funny as well...

Best okd movie? Gone With The Wind. Must see that ASAP!

I LOVE NIAGARA!

And The Seven Year Itch is a really good film as well. She mastered comic timing, and that film proves it!

Gone With The Wind is an epic. I've seen it so many times I can't remember. All the rest of them you mentioned are awesome too. I love them all.

Have you seen the Thin Man movies? I absolutely adore William Powell and Myrna Loy.

No I haven't. Titles?

I am hoping to track down some Katherine Hepburn and Clara Bow films as well as a few standard classics such as An Affair To Remember and A Matter of Life And Death. Modern films are leaving me cold, even animation (a medium I love) is growing tirelessly predictable and juvenile.

Another gem is Black Narcissus. Brief Encounter may also be my all time favourite British film (only Atonement and Never Let Me Go give it a serious run for it's money).

I LOVE NIAGARA!

Gone With The Wind is an epic. I've seen it so many times I can't remember. All the rest of them you mentioned are awesome too. I love them all.

Have you seen the Thin Man movies? I absolutely adore William Powell and Myrna Loy.

No I haven't. Titles?

I am hoping to track down some Katherine Hepburn and Clara Bow films as well as a few standard classics such as An Affair To Remember and A Matter of Life And Death. Modern films are leaving me cold, even animation (a medium I love) is growing tirelessly predictable and juvenile.

Another gem is Black Narcissus. Brief Encounter may also be my all time favourite British film (only Atonement and Never Let Me Go give it a serious run for it's money).

There are 6 Thin Man movies, The first 3 are the best. The Thin Man, After the Thin Man and Another Thin Man. The last 3 are good, but just aren't quite up to the brilliance that the first three are. The last three are Shadow of the Thin Man, The Thin Man Goes Home and Song of the Thin Man.

Katharine Hepburn is another favorite of mine. You can't do wrong with her films. The Philadelphia Story is a classic, and she's at her most gorgeous. Some of my favs of hers are: Bringing Up Baby (which has the same Wire Fox Terrier dog that's in The Thin Man movies), Holiday, State of the Union, Adams Rib, Pat and Mike and The African Queen.

Black Narcissus is a classic too, I agree. Deborah Kerr is awesome.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Thanks for that list of Hepburn films! Just what I needed!

I studied film at college, and it taught me not only to be open minded, but also how to "read" everything I see on the screen. Modern films are so polished and so reliant in special effects, they mostly leave me cold. The foul language, sex and nudity gets on my nerves as well, which is why exploring these old films has become both fascinating and enjoyable!

The Night Of The Hunter, "M" and Lawrence Of Arabia are on my list as well. Any titles you have to recommend will be much appreciated!

Thanks for that list of Hepburn films! Just what I needed!

I studied film at college, and it taught me not only to be open minded, but also how to "read" everything I see on the screen. Modern films are so polished and so reliant in special effects, they mostly leave me cold. The foul language, sex and nudity gets on my nerves as well, which is why exploring these old films has become both fascinating and enjoyable!

The Night Of The Hunter, "M" and Lawrence Of Arabia are on my list as well. Any titles you have to recommend will be much appreciated!

Wow well, where to start? :LOL: I'm a huge old movie fan so I have lots of favorites. I agree about most new movies being all special effects and little story. Movies were better when they had to actually have a good script to draw people in.

I'll just start listing some of my favorite movies and you can pick some if you want.

1. The Quiet Man - John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara

2. Rear Window - Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly

3. The Best Years of Our Lives - Myrna Loy and Fredric March

4. The Big Sleep - Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall

5. An American in Paris - Gene Kelly

6. Camille - Greta Garbo

7. To Have and Have Not - Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall

8. Grand Hotel - Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, Joan Crawford

9. It Happened One Night - Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable

10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Jimmy Stewart

11. West Side Story - a little newer but still a classic

12. American Graffiti - also newer but also a classic

13. The Awful Truth - Cary Grant and Irene Dunne (again the Fox Terrier from The Thin Man movies - that doggie got around :LOL:)

14. Cleopatra - Elizabeth Taylor

15. The King and I - Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr

Edited by EagleMoon

That dog sounds beast!

I have seen a fair chunk of those, will save that list and make a start...lol!

I LOVE NIAGARA!

No I haven't. Titles?

There are 6 Thin Man movies, The first 3 are the best. The Thin Man, After the Thin Man and Another Thin Man. The last 3 are good, but just aren't quite up to the brilliance that the first three are. The last three are Shadow of the Thin Man, The Thin Man Goes Home and Song of the Thin Man.

Katharine Hepburn is another favorite of mine. You can't do wrong with her films. The Philadelphia Story is a classic, and she's at her most gorgeous. Some of my favs of hers are: Bringing Up Baby (which has the same Wire Fox Terrier dog that's in The Thin Man movies), Holiday, State of the Union, Adams Rib, Pat and Mike and The African Queen.

Black Narcissus is a classic too, I agree. Deborah Kerr is awesome.

I recently got done with an awesome John Huston doc and it reminded me just how genius The African Queen was!

• Like 1

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Prisoners2013Poster.jpg/220px-Prisoners2013Poster.jpg

This one was great, but why does Hollywood keep making films that are SO LONG?!!? This one had 02h30mins. Great movie, but I said to my wife while I was watching it "you know, 'Law & Order' would have found those missing kids in 45 minutes...why are they taking so long???"

Best Marilyn movie!

Her best major role, maybe. But the best film she featured in?

All About Eve. Hands down. (Doesn't really count as she was only a cameo appearance, and hardly a big name. Still, the second she appears on screen its like magic. I knew she was coming, but her charisma is apparent even if all she does is stand still. I've never seen anything like her before.)

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of classic era movies, these are great:

Harvey

Kiss Me Stupid - Underrated Billy Wilder with "Dino" and "Mr. Hand."

Anatomy of a Murder

You Can't Take It With You

The Awful Truth

Charade

From Here To Eternity

today's viewings:

Man Of Tai Chi - Keanu's directorial debut

Lee Daniels' The Butler